Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 99 & Up Jeep Grand Cherokee

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 99 & Up Jeep Grand Cherokee
coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm thinking about buying one and just want to hear about the pro's and con's of them. And if anyone on here has any experience with them. Any info helps, Thanks CaFords [patriot]
Fast(er) Eddie
¯
Member # 4737

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast(er) Eddie  Ford pictures for Fast(er) Eddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I own an 02 Grand Cherokee.
I only buy these with the straight 6 4.0L. I will not buy the V8 version. I've owned two, and three Cherokees as well.

The front brake calipers on these should be upgraded from stock if they are the Teves calipers. They warp rotor after rotor, until you do the Akebono upgrade.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

Secondly, the stock electric fans were put on a recall list, and should be swapped out, dodge will still do this if the previous owner didn't bother doing so.

The fan relay's are an issue, in that about every 2-3yrs they burn out, and the repair cost at the dealer is about 250-285.

Even with all that said, I still love these Jeeps. I currently own the 02 grand Cherokee, and a 98 regular Cherokee, both sport models. The grand has a full leather interior package which I think is some of the best non luxury car leather I've ever had in a car.

I could go on and on about these, PM me if you have any specific questions. I pretty much know my way around the 87-2003 Jeep Grand/Cherokee platform with the 4.0L engines.

Hope this helps

--------------------
2004 DSG Vert

Posts: 584 | From: Dirty Five Thirty | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 01 4.0 4x4. Everything listed above is dead on. At about 128k the #6 piston failed and cracked in half; somewhat common. Pulled the motor and stroked it. Has about 145k on it now and the wifey DD it. As for the fan relay I pulled the electric fan when I did the motor and just run the mechanical. No cooling issues but not all motors came with the mechanical. Ours has about a 3" lift and some added suspension parts.

Good solid all around vehicle and parts are cheap.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
92sleeperGT
¯
Member # 8076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92sleeperGT  Ford pictures for 92sleeperGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my dad ownes a 2000 grand cherokee 4.ol v6 4x4
leather interior and sunroof.Its one of the most comfortable suv's i've ever driven.there suspension is very impressive.

--------------------
1992 Mustang Gt

Posts: 718 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2007  |  :
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JBeezy53:
I have an 01 4.0 4x4. Everything listed above is dead on. At about 128k the #6 piston failed and cracked in half; somewhat common. Pulled the motor and stroked it. Has about 145k on it now and the wifey DD it. As for the fan relay I pulled the electric fan when I did the motor and just run the mechanical. No cooling issues but not all motors came with the mechanical. Ours has about a 3" lift and some added suspension parts.

Arent u the guy I traded the amp for the mac headers??

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

coupedup
¯
Member # 9987

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupedup  Ford pictures for coupedup    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool ... Alot of info to absorb there lol . Very helpful though , is there any specific reason to stay away from the 4.7 v8 versions ? what about high mileage ? It seems like both the 4.0 6's and v8's that Ive come across on CL the mileage is pretty high up there. At least the ones in my price range have upwards of 100k miles...

Thanks again fellas [patriot]

86- 50
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 4723

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86- 50  Ford pictures for 86- 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RONIN:
Cool ... Alot of info to absorb there lol . Very helpful though , is there any specific reason to stay away from the 4.7 v8 versions ? what about high mileage ? It seems like both the 4.0 6's and v8's that Ive come across on CL the mileage is pretty high up there. At least the ones in my price range have upwards of 100k miles...

The v8's are garbage for some reason, nothing but problems, the straight 6 is the shit, i have a 90 cherokee with 173000 still running strong.

--------------------
My baby:88gt 347 stroker

RIP MATT, Gone but never forgotten

TEAM PLATINUM

wht2000gt
¯
Member # 10127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wht2000gt  Ford pictures for wht2000gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 06 grand Cherokee overland. It has the hemi, full time 4x4. 50k miles and I haven't had 1 single problem. It's a good jeep. No complaints here (so far)
JBeezy53
CAFords OG
Member # 3960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JBeezy53  Ford pictures for JBeezy53    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hilltim54:
quote:
Originally posted by JBeezy53:

Arent u the guy I traded the amp for the mac headers??
Yep.

--------------------
89 Gt
98 Cobra
88 Notch
05 GSXR 750 Blk/Yel

Posts: 1782 | From: Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I'm thinking about buying one and just want to hear about the pro's and con's of them. And if anyone on here has any experience with them. Any info helps, Thanks CaFords [patriot]

HAHA! I'm actually in the market now for either 99+ Cherokee or a 99+ Grand Cherokee. I've been shoppin around for about a week or so.

From the research I've done, the straight 6 is the ish.

I appreciate the additional knowledge from the thread!

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Farrell
¯
Member # 10801

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Farrell  Ford pictures for Farrell    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86- 50:
quote:

The v8's are garbage for some reason, nothing but problems, the straight 6 is the shit, i have a 90 cherokee with 173000 still running strong.
Ive had 4 strait 6s in regular cherokees and grand cherokees last me over 200k and still pas smog without a tuneup. My brother has a v8 grand cherokee and honestly it doesnt feel much faster, gets crappier MPGs than the 6 and is more crammed into the engine bay to work on when things fail, which they seem too much more often than the 4 liters. the jeep strait 6 is up there with the 5.0 and 350 as far s reliability and amount of time/vehicles its been in.

--------------------
Learn as if you'll live forever, live as it you're going to die tomorrow - Ghandi

Posts: 287 | From: Rhode Island | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my buddy had a `93 grand cherokee with a 318 v8 and it went 270k miles before having any real problems. The heads both cracked in the valve train area.

easy fix, replaced the heads and away it went.

he upgraded to an ~08 grand cherokee overland with the 5.7l hemi recently. The new one is really nice, his old one I wasn't a big fan of.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
ZincYellow 281
¯
Member # 9865

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ZincYellow 281  Ford pictures for ZincYellow 281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I only had a 98 grand Cherokee, that thing was a trooper! It went over 200k before it was sold to my cousin, and is still being driven. I never had an issues with the car, my dad gave the car a Hell of a beating before handing it to me. He drove it in the snow and even towed a number of times with no issues. To say the car was reliable is an understatement.
1994steeda
¯
Member # 6127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1994steeda  Ford pictures for 1994steeda  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fast(er) Eddie:
I own an 02 Grand Cherokee.
I only buy these with the straight 6 4.0L. I will not buy the V8 version. I've owned two, and three Cherokees as well.

The front brake calipers on these should be upgraded from stock if they are the Teves calipers. They warp rotor after rotor, until you do the Akebono upgrade.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/brakes.htm

Secondly, the stock electric fans were put on a recall list, and should be swapped out, dodge will still do this if the previous owner didn't bother doing so.

The fan relay's are an issue, in that about every 2-3yrs they burn out, and the repair cost at the dealer is about 250-285.

Even with all that said, I still love these Jeeps. I currently own the 02 grand Cherokee, and a 98 regular Cherokee, both sport models. The grand has a full leather interior package which I think is some of the best non luxury car leather I've ever had in a car.

I could go on and on about these, PM me if you have any specific questions. I pretty much know my way around the 87-2003 Jeep Grand/Cherokee platform with the 4.0L engines.

Hope this helps

All this is ture and is a know issue for Dakotas/Durangos.

In our case we went with drilled rotor and fixed the rotor problems. Our family members owne a inline6 and the V8 jeep and a v6dakota & v8durango. V8 Jeep as gone through two trannys and the 6cyl jeeps seems to run just fine. v6 dodge tranny took a shit & v8 is still hauling ass. [Confused] JUST GET A FORD.... [Wink]

--------------------
I don't buy STOLEN mustang parts...

00 C5 Corvette
94 Gt stolen
94 Gt Stolen
95 GT sold
95 Gt Sold
97 Cobra sold
98 Gt sold
01 Bullitt sold

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com