Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » how safe are wheel spacers? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: how safe are wheel spacers?
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Interested in putting a pair of hubcentric 1 inch spacers in the rear how safe are they for daily driver use?will they come loose eventually will i need longer studs?

--------------------
Raiders A's Warriors Sharks

Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't trust them at all, but people run them all the time. I would probly torque my wheels down once a day lol.

Nice sig by the way [patriot]

[ January 04, 2012, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Ryan_LX ]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

Boss 327
¯
Member # 9143

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boss 327  Ford pictures for Boss 327    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been running them on the street. No problems at all. Make sure to get quality parts tho.

--------------------
"You'll never truly understand building engines until you can make power N/A. FI overshadows an engines defficiency." Al Papito

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run 1" hubcentric spacers that you bolt onto the stock hub and they're perfectly fine for DD. I drive my car hard St the track and have never had a problem.

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd be scared of my wheels rolling next to me, I don't know thats just me though.

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've run em with no problems. I like the signature too I remember I had to bring that to light after the town was getting hatted on way too hard.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 302n/a  Ford pictures for 302n/a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea im kinda iffy on running them thats why i posted this to get opinions the guy at the tire shop bolted them on my car and they looked sweet he told me there would be no problems as long as theres at least 4 threads left.I just dont want to be driving and have my rear wheels fall off or the maintanence of checking the lug nuts all the time?

--------------------

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have spacers but how would they be any less safe than not using them. They bolt on the same way using the same hardware. But I would agree with not using cheap ones so that you can properly torque them down without damaging them
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4 threads? Wait, you didn't get the ones that have their owns studs? Like these http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_134_232&products_id=872

If not and there are just spacers like these http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49_134_231

DO NOT DRIVE WITH THOSE! Any spacers over 3/8" require longer studs. What tire shop did you go to so I can make sure none of my friends go there. 4 threads is insane!

[ January 04, 2012, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: SnakeBit ]

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My girls 5.0 has 1/2 inch spacers on her fox to put 315s on.
We installed moser's 3inch wheel lug studs it was very easy and are
$13 @vichubbards for a pack of 5
$19 at winchester auto parts for a pack of 5.

Im running 3/8 spacers on my fox with 275s with stock wheel lug studs
and i have no problem at all been using for over 8months now.

On both cars were using cheap $25 wheel spacers from goodies speedshop, which can also be purchased from oreilly.

But if your trying to use 1inch spacers definetly use the spacers with the wheel lug studs attatched.

[ January 04, 2012, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: Stangn5oh ]

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:

On both cars were using cheap $25 wheel spacers from goodies speedshop, which can also be purchased from oreilly.

But if your trying to use 1inch spacers definitely use the spacers with the wheel lug studs attatched.

When it comes down to safety, I would never go by "word of mouth". Just because something "works", doesn't mean it's safe. It sounds like you could get away with using 3/8 spacer, but I wouldn't recommend

This is straight from Maximum Motorsports, I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/

3/8" thick MM wheel spacers. Fits 5-lug Mustangs, 1979-2010, pair

The physics of keeping the wheels on: Wheel Spacer Tech
Slips on, over the car's wheel studs
Longer wheel studs are usually required with these 3/8" spacers.
You must check the amount of wheel stud thread engagement on your car to ensure that at least 6 threads are fully engaged in the lug nut after installing the wheel spacer.
1979-93 Mustangs: Fits only those converted to Ford 5-lug pattern
Designed and manufactured by Maximum Motorsports
CNC machined from lightweight aluminum-alloy
Precision ground on each side to ensure parallelism

[ January 04, 2012, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: SnakeBit ]

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
quote:
Originally posted by Stangn5oh:

But if your trying to use 1inch spacers definitely use the spacers with the wheel lug studs attatched.

When it comes down to safety, I would never go by "word of mouth". Just because something "works", doesn't mean it's safe. It sounds like you could get away with using 3/8 spacer, but I wouldn't recommend

This is straight from Maximum Motorsports, I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about.
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/

3/8" thick MM wheel spacers. Fits 5-lug Mustangs, 1979-2010, pair

The physics of keeping the wheels on: Wheel Spacer Tech
Slips on, over the car's wheel studs
Longer wheel studs are usually required with these 3/8" spacers.
You must check the amount of wheel stud thread engagement on your car to ensure that at least 6 threads are fully engaged in the lug nut after installing the wheel spacer.
1979-93 Mustangs: Fits only those converted to Ford 5-lug pattern
Designed and manufactured by Maximum Motorsports
CNC machined from lightweight aluminum-alloy
Precision ground on each side to ensure parallelism

tottally dude, safety first foreal.
i dont prefer going the cheaper route over safety, its basicly what i can afford at the time and works for me.
If u have the money get the mm

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How safe are spacers (the bolt on kind)?

I look at it this way. Companies like Maximum Motorsports and Eibach have been engineering suspension systems for years and are well known for how well their products work. They're not going to sell a product that has a high likelyhood that it's going to break and potentially kill someone.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wheel spacers are perfectly safe. I've been using them on my track car for years without issue. I've been through turn 1-2 at California speedway at 145mph+ and my wheels didn't go flying off the car. You will need longer studs with 1"spacers.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SF Coupe:
Wheel spacers are perfectly safe. I've been using them on my track car for years without issue. I've been through turn 1-2 at California speedway at 145mph+ and my wheels didn't go flying off the car. You will need longer studs with 1"spacers.

...says The Stig himself [Big Grin] Take it from this guy...he's a real race car driver and if he's never had issues during races I don't see why yiud have any issues at all on the street. Just make sure you buy quality parts [Wink]

--------------------

1ST0KGT
¯
Member # 10606

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1ST0KGT  Ford pictures for 1ST0KGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before I sold my bullits to Stangn5oh I ran 1in. Spacers on 315z I never had one problem! Even smashed at 130 and still on there

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT)
04/24/87-11/23/12

Posts: 1742 | From: San Jose (SOUTH BAY) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there is nothing wrong with running spacers...hub centric is the best way to go but even without is fine. autocross uses spacers all day so that should tell you a lot.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
a302juGRnot
¯
Member # 10163

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a302juGRnot  Ford pictures for a302juGRnot    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 302n/a:
yea im kinda iffy on running them thats why i posted this to get opinions the guy at the tire shop bolted them on my car and they looked sweet he told me there would be no problems as long as theres at least 4 threads left.I just dont want to be driving and have my rear wheels fall off or the maintanence of checking the lug nuts all the time?

ive heard the safest to run is 5mm or 5 times around. if you really want to be extra careful, just buy longer wheel studs.

--------------------
H/C/I slammed and flushed NOTCHback

H/C/I 1995 mustang gt sold

Posts: 1646 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2010  |  :
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

quote:
4 threads? Wait, you didn't get the ones that have their owns studs? Like these http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=49_134_232&products_id=872

If not and there are just spacers like these http://www.maximummotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=49_134_231

DO NOT DRIVE WITH THOSE! Any spacers over 3/8" require longer studs. What tire shop did you go to so I can make sure none of my friends go there. 4 threads is insane!

i didnt buy them just wanted to see what they looked like but yea there like the ones in the first photo and i had a bad feeling thats y i wanted to do research before so the ones your sell wouldnt even work on my car without longer studs right?

--------------------

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:

i didnt buy them just wanted to see what they looked like but yea there like the ones in the first photo and i had a bad feeling thats y i wanted to do research before so the ones your sell wouldnt even work on my car without longer studs right?
If they are like the ones in the first pic, then they are GOOD! Those are the bolt-on type that have their own studs. Those are what I run and have had zero issues.

--------------------

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

quote:
quote:

No bro, these have lugs & studs. These mount up just like a rim, then you mount your rims with these studs & lugs on the spacer.
 -

[ January 05, 2012, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: SnakeBit ]

--------------------
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

cees87drop
¯
Member # 4066

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cees87drop  Ford pictures for cees87drop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran into many issues with spacers. I have seen my rim keep rolling while my car comes to a complete stop. I would check your lug nuts every other day for the first month.
302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

quote:
quote:
quote:

No bro, these have lugs & studs. These mount up just like a rim, then you mount your rims with these studs & lugs on the spacer.
 -

yea those look exactly like the ones at the tire shop i went to im confused are these ok or not lol?the tire mechanic bolted everything up and after the wheel was installed on the spacer there was at least 4 or 5 threads left on the studs attached to the spacer?

[ January 05, 2012, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: 302n/a ]

--------------------

302n/a
¯
Member # 1465

the main reason why i want spacers is to push my stock 17x8 245 tire out further in the rear after installed it was flush with the rear fenderwell.

--------------------

Snakezilla
¯
Member # 9553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snakezilla  Ford pictures for Snakezilla  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dont be cheap and get the real stuff..

[ January 05, 2012, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: Snakezilla ]

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com