Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Oedipus the King

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Oedipus the King
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Who here has read this play? Fuck I hadn't read it in years and just finished reading and it's damn crazy. What are your thought on this play and other Sophocles plays.

I mean I know they are all tragedies but a little deeper than that.

Then there's Oedipus complex which is some whole other crazy shit.

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
Stang66
¯
Member # 10504

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stang66  Ford pictures for Stang66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
great twisted play.. lol
its crazy how he guages out his eyes once he finds out that he killed his own father and married his mother, maximum incest [Eek!]

--------------------
1966 Ford Mustang
1990 Notchback
1975 Pontiac Trans Am 400ci

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never read it. I'm a slow reader, so I listen to audiobooks. There's a website called librivox.org that has free downloads of public domain books. I added Oedipus to my phone to listen to.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
Never read it. I'm a slow reader, so I listen to audiobooks. There's a website called librivox.org that has free downloads of public domain books. I added Oedipus to my phone to listen to.

It's a real good play, it is so twisted.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JUNKYARD5.0:
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:

It's a real good play, it is so twisted.
I read Antigone which is the last play in the series and I remember that being good. I'm going to listen to all three in order.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
gray03gt
¯
Member # 6427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gray03gt  Ford pictures for gray03gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Probably the last thing expected on CA fords. Greek/Roman history is pretty interesting. There's so many practices that originated then, that are still used today. The formation of Greece as a great culture was pretty much due to the threat of the Persian Empire. A group of western thinking cities banded together to go against the barbarians or non western thinkers. Look at the UN today and the primary enemy against our way of western thinking. Athens was considered the world police(in the Mediterranean) and the head of the Delian league, much like the US is the world police today and the greatest power in the UN,etc.
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
Originally posted by gray03gt:
Probably the last thing expected on CA fords. Greek/Roman history is pretty interesting. There's so many practices that originated then, that are still used today. The formation of Greece as a great culture was pretty much due to the threat of the Persian Empire. A group of western thinking cities banded together to go against the barbarians or non western thinkers. Look at the UN today and the primary enemy against our way of western thinking. Athens was considered the world police(in the Mediterranean) and the head of the Delian league, much like the US is the world police today and the greatest power in the UN,etc.

Yes, definately. Greek's and Romans used to play this play for their whole audience so that they can learn the lessons made by Oedipus, Creon on Antigone and etc. Basically to teach the youth not to make the same mistakes and all. I remember one phrase from a I think the leader of the churus and he say's something like "....we must deal with all that lies before us. The future rests with the ones who tend the future" so basically at this point in the play the leader would step put and look straight at the youth in the audence who sat in front, to make sure they learn a lesson.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It was all just fun and games (take that for what it's worth) until Freud started preaching the the Oedipus complex is pretty much universal. Jung came out with the Electra complex pretty much mirroring the Oedipus. Weird stuff. Try not to think about it. lol
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

quote:
Originally posted by phil a:
It was all just fun and games (take that for what it's worth) until Freud started preaching the the Oedipus complex is pretty much universal. Jung came out with the Electra complex pretty much mirroring the Oedipus. Weird stuff. Try not to think about it. lol

Yea but it kinda sucks because many people credit Freud for the electra complex instead of Jung.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com