Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Should I buy this 04 Mach 1 ? What you guys think?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I buy this 04 Mach 1 ? What you guys think?
AzureMach925
¯
Member # 10412

Ford Icon 4 posted      Profile for AzureMach925  Ford pictures for AzureMach925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey guys new to the forum in terms of actually posting threads. Had a dilemma and decided to ask the people who know mustangs best. This post is a bit long but bear with me.

Im about to purchase a 2004 Mach 1 34k miles, 2nd owner, Clean title, for 12.5k cash (he wont go any lower it was 15k). Its an Aztec Blue 5 speed. Only known mods are black bullit rims and magnaflow mufflers lol. Does not have stock rims or mufflers.

Anyways never had a mustang and always wanted a Cobra. This car will be my daily driver and its right at my price point. Dont want to spend 18-25k on a Cobra and dont really want to DD a cobra with its lower fuel economy and stiff clutch, not sure if the mach 1 comes stock with the same clutch as the cobra but it felt much more reasonable (softer) as a DD, then the cobras. I thought the Mach 1 should suffice even though im sure its almost the same fuel economy as the cobra. Love the shaker hood and it has decent power.

Also I love the s197 GTs the interior is way nicer, and much better ride, but so far havent found any good deals...

Anyways I know the machs and cobras had a head tick issue. Ive spent countless hours and read multiple forums about this problem and some ppl say their 04 machs had the issue and others say its only on 03s. [Confused]

I test drove the car, and it felt fine but it was my second time driving a mach ever not too familiar. I listened to the engine though, and I heard a faint ticking sound out of the driver side rear area of the engine, and little from the passenger side as well, but not sure if its the head tick, as it wasnt super loud, like some in the youtube videos.

I will be taking the car hopefully to AED to get it checked out for this problem or a local Ford Dealer, if i decide to buy.

Carfax was clean and excellent, and I called Ford and had them run an Oasis. The production date was Aug 08 2003 , dunno if thats relevant to head tick issues prod date. I was also told the following parts were repaired on the vehicle: Rack and pinion, Front sway bar, and Egr valve. Not sure if this is considered normal or not as I am not mechanically inclined besides oil change and tires.

As you guys have prolly already noticed I over think things a lot! Sorry for the long post.

I will lightly mod this vehicle in the future depending on how much i continue to like it.
All positive comments and advice will be appreciated as I know this forum has very helpful ppl. What do you guys and girls think?

*** Update **** just spoke to the owner of the mach. He is not willing to take it to AED to get it inspected by the pros there, its a 1 hour commute from his house and he does not want to go. My other option was to take it to the Ford dealer for a compression test and inspection but I doubt they will thoroughly inspect the car.. any thoughts on where i should take it in Sacramento area? If I still buy the car it looks like it will now be Monday

FYI that Azure blue mach in the pic is not the same as the one im buying.. someone else posted that pic.

[ September 24, 2011, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: CobraFan17 ]

Mach916
¯
Member # 8264

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mach916  Ford pictures for Mach916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go for it.. 04 is best year has revised heads..but they can still get the tick... if the car had the tick youd be able to tell easy.. just run 5-30 oil and water wetter and youll be fine.. make sure the car wasnt beat on..or had a supercharged or nitrous before..
Posts: 1247 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The car sounds sweet! BTW, the color is "Azure Blue".

-

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a tick could easily be a valvtrain noise that just comes with cars, some oil makes it louder than others. i would say just dont be over paranoid and if you got 12.5k cash then whats a little bit more to have a shop check it out before you hand over the money
BackwardSnake
¯
Member # 10857

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackwardSnake  Ford pictures for BackwardSnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would pass, I think 96-98 Cobras get you more for your money.

--------------------
Hi, my name is Jimmy Herrera aka 91Trunkster (510)375-1589 and I got snitched out by my friend or friends. Ain't that a bitch, some one or some people would rat out my fake account here to keep their own secret fake account? If you all forgot, I'm an old ass 30 something year old "man" that likes to make internet friends with boys fresh out of highschool. I like to post "bruh" a lot just like the annoying immature and ghetto CAFords kids do. I like to talk shit about this website, make it look bad, all the while trying to make and save money off of other members here. Some may call me a selfish immature bitch. Deep down I know they are correct, it's not like I have anything else going on in my life or anything but negativity to offer this community. This is a free site. Suckers spend good time and money to keep this website going. They're suckers for doing so, so fuck them, I'm going to take them for all they got. It's all about me in this world.

Who is the next troll or just plain annoying post whore to get the boot???

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/megamallard/guaposheep.jpg

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a good deal espicially low miles.

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
Mineralgt
¯
Member # 9909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mineralgt  Ford pictures for Mineralgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Buy it!! Lets have another Mustang in the stable lol you over think shit way tooooo much!!! Take it to Shuan today at AED and have him look at it liked planned and he told you to come in today anyway! He is the best person to look at it. I want to come home today from work and see that car in the drive way. lol

--------------------
02 GT Vert

AzureMach925
¯
Member # 10412

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AzureMach925  Ford pictures for AzureMach925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lol at the aztec blue, cant believe I said that. It was like 3am when I posted lol.
calibre50
¯
Member # 10902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for calibre50  Ford pictures for calibre50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is it the one that iceman302 put up if it is..its not a 04 its an 03 i thought the 04 mach1's came with the anniversary badgin... it caught my eye its a clean car anyways

--------------------
it doesnt matter if u win by an inch or a mile winnin is winnin

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrillaJay  Ford pictures for TrillaJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Clean mach wit low miles for 15k seems to be the right price

--------------------
04'MystichromeSVTCobra#524
03'BuiltSilverSVTCobra-SOLD
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
AZTEC BLUE FTW....LOOKS GOOD

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by calibre50:
is it the one that iceman302 put up if it is..its not a 04 its an 03 i thought the 04 mach1's came with the anniversary badgin... it caught my eye its a clean car anyways

Mine was an '03. It had the 100th anniversary badging.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobraFan17:
Lol at the aztec blue, cant believe I said that. It was like 3am when I posted lol.

At least you didn't say Sureno Blue [Big Grin]
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Heres another one, seems legit but costs a bit more. Same color too

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2612789060.html

--------------------
1966 Mustang

TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrillaJay  Ford pictures for TrillaJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
Heres another one, seems legit but costs a bit more. Same color too

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2612789060.html

now thats more worth it lol [patriot]

--------------------
04'MystichromeSVTCobra#524
03'BuiltSilverSVTCobra-SOLD
99'BlackSVTCobra-SOLD

AzureMach925
¯
Member # 10412

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AzureMach925  Ford pictures for AzureMach925    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea i saw that one on craigslist too. Its very nice but i don't want one with severe mods, as I am not good with fixing repairing the vehicle, or changing parts. My mechanical knowledge is basic to oil changes and tires.
AzureMach925
¯
Member # 10412

Also my car will be a daily driver so gas is somewhat a consideration and I will not race my car as tempting will be.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com