Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My Buddy Just Got Pulled Over and COP Says His Transmission Has No VIN??? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: My Buddy Just Got Pulled Over and COP Says His Transmission Has No VIN???
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So one of my co workers drives a honda civic and he's done some stuff that attracts the COPs attention like a fart can muffler, tinted front windows, and blacked out tail lights(he's only 19 he'll learn some day). I've told him over and over to get rid of that crap, but he refuses, so he gets pulled over 10x more than anyone else I know. He does have some engine mods, but they all have properly posted CARB EO #'s, so the police seem to like to dig really deep and try to find some kind of problem under the hood.

From what he tells me the officer asks him to pop his hood, so he pulls the hood release and the officer can't figure out how to get the hood open. The officer asks him to step out of the car and open the hood, so he does and he said that the officer immediately(upon opening the hood) stated to him that his transmission did not have a VIN number and that's what thieves do is remove the VIN number from parts when they're dealing in stolen goods. The officer went on to say that if he sees him again he's going to impound his car because his transmission has no VIN.

Anyone have any input on this, or specific references to the vehicle code that this would be part of?

--------------------
2011 GT/CS 5.0 + Boost(Procharger)
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted
05 SRT-4 24PSI E-85 at least 50 million hp
07 Harley VROD NRS Stage 1

Posts: 1857 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2007  |  :
CobraCoupe
¯
Member # 7233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraCoupe  Ford pictures for CobraCoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought obd1 Honda trans didn't have the vin tagged to them? And odb2 did have vins tagged? Not sure but remember hearing that...

--------------------
1965 Mustang convertible
2004 Ford Lightning #0537

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FivePTSlow  Ford pictures for FivePTSlow    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobraCoupe:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought obd1 Honda trans didn't have the vin tagged to them? And odb2 did have vins tagged? Not sure but remember hearing that...

Yeah I don't know much about honda's, but his is a 1994 Civic EX, so I'm pretty sure it's OBD1

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fuck that cop, he didn't even know how to open the hood, how in the fuck is he gona be able to go right to the trans vin, I mean since he knows all about hondas.

Some cops are cool but most are over the top dick heads, and they wonder why its so dangerous to be a cop, keep fuckin with people and eventually your gona find that one....

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
Fuck that cop, he didn't even know how to open the hood, how in the fuck is he gona be able to go right to the trans vin, I mean since he knows all about hondas.

Some cops are cool but most are over the top dick heads, and they wonder why its so dangerous to be a cop, keep fuckin with people and eventually your gona find that one....

Yeah meanwhile I never got pulled over in my old 91 Mustang GT. No SMOG equipment, long tubes, true dual exhaust with magnaflow straight through mufflers it sounded like nascar lol

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just say his old transmission gave out N bought that one off someone on craigslist who was parting out the car

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
65mustang408
¯
Member # 8681

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65mustang408  Ford pictures for 65mustang408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a elk grove bike cop.... am I right?

--------------------
fast and cool shit

Posts: 947 | From: sacramento | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by 65mustang408:
Sounds like a elk grove bike cop.... am I right?

Yup he lives in Elk Grove

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Just say his old transmission gave out N bought that one off someone on craigslist who was parting out the car

This would still be considered receiving stolen propertly...if it was stolen.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FivePTSlow:
quote:

Could u be held accountable for that? What if you don't know the parts are stolen? Plus why the fuck does it matter if a transmission doesn't have a VIN boo fucken hoo is there a such thing as a smog illegal tranny? [Confused]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18528 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
quote:
quote:

Could u be held accountable for that? What if you don't know the parts are stolen? Plus why the fuck does it matter if a transmission doesn't have a VIN boo fucken hoo is there a such thing as a smog illegal tranny? [Confused]
Yeah you could be held liable for that. I agree about the VIN thing... I've never even heard of that before. I can't find any Vehicle Code that specifically talks about it either

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yeah you could be held liable for that. I agree about the VIN thing... I've never even heard of that before. I can't find any Vehicle Code that specifically talks about it either
The police would have to have proof that he KNOWNINGLY received stolen goods. hard to prove in court from just doing a normal traffic stop with nothing else to go on. for all the cop knows he could of just bought the car the day before. the cop is full of it just trying to scare your buddy.

[ September 19, 2011, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Adam5.0 ]

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The police would have to have proof that he KNOWNINGLY received stolen goods. hard to prove in court from just doing a normal traffic stop with nothing else to go on. for all the cop knows he could of just bought the car the day before
He's had the car for 6+ months at this point and the transmission in the car is the one that came with it. I'm just really curious if there is Vehicle Code regarding this type of thing, or if the officer was just full of crap.

Just like one time I got pulled over in my SRT-4 the officer said that I removed one of the Catalytic Converters from the car and wrote me a Referee ticket. I explained to the officer that the SRT-4 only comes with one Catalytic Converter, not two. He disagreed and wrote me a Ref ticket. This officer also claimed he was on some kind of illegal modifications task force. If they're going to put these officers on any kind of task force they really should know a lot more than they do. SRT-4's came from the factory with only one Cat.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The police would have to have proof that he KNOWNINGLY received stolen goods. hard to prove in court from just doing a normal traffic stop with nothing else to go on. for all the cop knows he could of just bought the car the day before
He's had the car for 6+ months at this point and the transmission in the car is the one that came with it. I'm just really curious if there is Vehicle Code regarding this type of thing, or if the officer was just full of crap.

Just like one time I got pulled over in my SRT-4 the officer said that I removed one of the Catalytic Converters from the car and wrote me a Referee ticket. I explained to the officer that the SRT-4 only comes with one Catalytic Converter, not two. He disagreed and wrote me a Ref ticket. This officer also claimed he was on some kind of illegal modifications task force. If they're going to put these officers on any kind of task force they really should know a lot more than they do. SRT-4's came from the factory with only one Cat.

all the police need to write a ticket is probable cause. you still get your day in court and your day with the ref to prove it. a cop could write you up for anything just because they do doesnt mean your guilty. alot of stuff gets thrown out of court because there just isnt enough proof

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

"Like yeah man! FTP! I sound hard on the internet too!" [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
BULLITTMAN
¯
Member # 8468

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BULLITTMAN  Ford pictures for BULLITTMAN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
73 on dubbs must have sold the tranny to the original owner...

--------------------
R.I.P Little Bro Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT) 4/24/87 - 11/23/12
01 Bullitt #3102 Stroked and blown
Built and tuned by Shaun at AED
14 Fiesta ST

915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by graylx:
quote:

"Like yeah man! FTP! I sound hard on the internet too!" [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
no one is trying to sound hard, its the truth. police bring it on themselves, thats y i personally dont feal bad when something happens to them, they deffinantly dont care about us.

if your gona take the time to pull someone over give them a fuckin ticket and get the fuck on or stop with the bs. pull someone over who you think might be doing some real dirt....

[ September 19, 2011, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: 915.0gt ]

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

no one is trying to sound hard, its the truth. police bring it on themselves, thats y i personally dont feal bad when something happens to them, they deffinantly dont care about us.

if your gona take the time to pull someone over give them a fuckin ticket and get the fuck on or stop with the bs. pull someone over who you think might be doing some real dirt....

Someone plus ban this cop hating noob please whe do not needs member like on here
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If there is any sort of disagreement when you get pulled over, ask them to call the supervisor on duty to the scene.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Yeah I don't know much about honda's, but his is a 1994 Civic EX, so I'm pretty sure it's OBD1
ALL Honda transmission's have a VIN number on them. The 94+ have a green little vin tag that you can remove with two little screws. Just tell you're friend to look for another tranny like his and remove the little green plate and screw it on his. Problem solved.

Cops can impound/crush your car if you have parts with no vin code, especially when talking about motors and trannie's since this is the most common stolen thing out of Honda's.

EDIT: What if this was a Mustang with a tranny with no vin and all other serial numbers removed? Would that make things any different?

[ September 20, 2011, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: JNKYRD50 ]

--------------------
"My team doesn't make hits, we hit home runs"
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

Posts: 1854 | From: WEST Menlo | Registered: Oct 2010  |  :
FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

quote:
Originally posted by JNKYRD50:
quote:
quote:

ALL Honda transmission's have a VIN number on them. The 94+ have a green little vin tag that you can remove with two little screws. Just tell you're friend to look for another tranny like his and remove the little green plate and screw it on his. Problem solved.

Cops can impound/crush your car if you have parts with no vin code, especially when talking about motors and trannie's since this is the most common stolen thing out of Honda's.

EDIT: What if this was a Mustang with a tranny with no vin and all other serial numbers removed? Would that make things any different?

I used to work at a Mustang shop. We primarily worked on 5.0's and were doing many 5 speed swaps, 4 cylinder conversion etc. I don't recall anyone ever running into these type of problems in their Mustangs including myself. My last Mustang was a bright red 91 Supercharged gt. No smog equipment, long tube headers, true dual exhaust to magnaflow straight through mufflers with a b cam, tubular gt-40, windsor sr. heads etc. That car was LOUD and I never once got pulled over because it was too loud. The few times I did get pulled over they didn't ask to pop my hood.
So, I would have to say yeah it would be different.

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JUNKYARD5.0  Ford pictures for JUNKYARD5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JNKYRD50:
quote:
quote:

I used to work at a Mustang shop. We primarily worked on 5.0's and were doing many 5 speed swaps, 4 cylinder conversion etc. I don't recall anyone ever running into these type of problems in their Mustangs including myself. My last Mustang was a bright red 91 Supercharged gt. No smog equipment, long tube headers, true dual exhaust to magnaflow straight through mufflers with a b cam, tubular gt-40, windsor sr. heads etc. That car was LOUD and I never once got pulled over because it was too loud. The few times I did get pulled over they didn't ask to pop my hood.
So, I would have to say yeah it would be different.

Is there an existing bias towards muscle car owners? Yes, muscle car owners are generally older and less stupid than most Honda/Acura/Import owners. Think about it, how many people do you know that own a modded import older than the age of 25? There are some but the crowd around those cars is usually 16-early 20's. That's coming from someone that used to be in that scene. Do they pop hoods on muscle cars? Yes, just because you were never asked to pop your hood doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

But anyways, when I said it'd be different I didn't ask about it in terms of getting pulled over. I said it in terms of all the people saying "you can't prove it's stolen" and all the other comments about the stolen items. With the popularity of Mustangs being stolen if that trans had no vin plate and all the serial numbers removed, people would be like "that some stolen shit, fuck this fuck that" but since it's a honda tranny people don't really give a fuk. That's the difference I was talking about bro.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

JUNKYARD5.0
¯
Member # 10398

But like I said before, tell your friend to go to the junkyard or look for another tranny with the vin plate. Remove it and screw it into his. There is one located where the motor and tranny connect in the front of the tranny, it's green and there might be a serial sticker on the left side of the tranny by the transmission mount. Just trying to be helpful unless he wants to get another tranny with the corresponding vin.

--------------------
86 Coupe-Storage
91 Coupe-Sold
91 Hatch-In Progress...
04 SVT-RIP

FivePTSlow
¯
Member # 7682

yeah I know what you mean. thanks for the info I'll pass is along to him for sure

--------------------
90 Bronco 5.8 Lifted

bentley mobs a stang
¯
Member # 11119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bentley mobs a stang  Ford pictures for bentley mobs a stang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SS396 chevelle:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Someone plus ban this cop hating noob please whe do not needs member like on here
says the law enforcement loving guy running from oakley pd with a .45 lmao

--------------------
We're here for a good time, not a long time.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com