Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Hey my hunting guys...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Hey my hunting guys...
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im getting ready to purchase my first hunting rifle... I used my dads Winchester model 100 .308 caliber last year and it shot well but KICKED LIKE A FREAKIN MULE!! But the rifles im thinking about getting are the Remington model 770 and the Savage arms line... What caliber would you guys recommend? it will be used for hunting deer and wild hogs...Thanks in advance! [patriot]

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

92MaroonGT
¯
Member # 10397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92MaroonGT  Ford pictures for 92MaroonGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
30-06
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.300 Win Mag

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
BackwardSnake
¯
Member # 10857

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackwardSnake  Ford pictures for BackwardSnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I like huntin' and fishin'

--------------------
Hi, my name is Jimmy Herrera aka 91Trunkster (510)375-1589 and I got snitched out by my friend or friends. Ain't that a bitch, some one or some people would rat out my fake account here to keep their own secret fake account? If you all forgot, I'm an old ass 30 something year old "man" that likes to make internet friends with boys fresh out of highschool. I like to post "bruh" a lot just like the annoying immature and ghetto CAFords kids do. I like to talk shit about this website, make it look bad, all the while trying to make and save money off of other members here. Some may call me a selfish immature bitch. Deep down I know they are correct, it's not like I have anything else going on in my life or anything but negativity to offer this community. This is a free site. Suckers spend good time and money to keep this website going. They're suckers for doing so, so fuck them, I'm going to take them for all they got. It's all about me in this world.

Who is the next troll or just plain annoying post whore to get the boot???

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/megamallard/guaposheep.jpg

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BackwardSnake:

+1

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

quote:

maybe we can race to the fishin hole! [patriot]

--------------------

Thugnificent

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 92MaroonGT:
30-06

^ This would be a nice choice. But if you want something with less kick..... You should try a 243 or 270. Good luck and good to see someone exercising their 2nd amend the right way. [patriot]

[ July 10, 2011, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: Slowback67 ]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A .270 or .30-06 will take down almost anything you can hunt in CA. Savage makes some awesome rifles and are very affordable. You really can't go wrong with one.

I've got a Husqvarna in .30-06 and it's a great round with lots of different load choices.

[ July 10, 2011, 02:46 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
92MaroonGT
¯
Member # 10397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92MaroonGT  Ford pictures for 92MaroonGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.30-06's don't kick...maybe a .22 kick.
sinisterblk
¯
Member # 8425

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sinisterblk  Ford pictures for sinisterblk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would recommend a .270 if you are not into
a huge kick.

Posts: 549 | From: angels camp | Registered: May 2008  |  :
poisonpony96
¯
Member # 3942

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for poisonpony96  Ford pictures for poisonpony96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
30-06 kicks. I have a buddy who hunts he recommends .270 for California. The remington 770 has the worst reviews the 700 is good. Can't go wrong with savage good guns.
WIKD 281
CaliforniaFords.com
Owner
Member # 40

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WIKD 281  Ford pictures for WIKD 281  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They say the best all around hunting rifle caliber is the 30-06 because it has the most variety of grain count selection. I persoally use a .300 win mag for elk and it works very well. For california deer (tend to be smaller) unless you are good at head shots people tend to waste a lot of the meat with larger calibers.
SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You just need to shoot more. The .308 is pretty mild. I would go with a Model 700, they are more than accurate enough for hunting at a reasonable price. They are also easy to modify to make them more accurate if you want that.

The .243 Win will get the job done on deer and pigs, but if I were to buy a first rifle for California it would be either the .270 or the 30/06. Both will kill anything that walks around here. The .270 is a better long range cartridge, but the 30/06 is more versatile. I took a Sitka blacktail on Kodiak island at 240 yards 2 years ago with my .270, he didn't go more than 10 yards before he fell over.

Talk about recoil, my .300 Weatherby is a wicked beast. I worked up a handload that shoots a 180 grain bullet at 3300fps. I can shoot it about 20 times at the range before I start getting a little flinchy, that's when it's time to put it away and shoot the .270.

87ttop
¯
Member # 9534

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87ttop  Ford pictures for 87ttop    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have shot deer with both a .243 and a .30-06 and the .243 did just as good as the .30-06 with less kick. i would recommend the .243
Posts: 166 | From: union city | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
BackwardSnake
¯
Member # 10857

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackwardSnake  Ford pictures for BackwardSnake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hunt with a bow, deer meat and bear jerkey ftw

--------------------
Hi, my name is Jimmy Herrera aka 91Trunkster (510)375-1589 and I got snitched out by my friend or friends. Ain't that a bitch, some one or some people would rat out my fake account here to keep their own secret fake account? If you all forgot, I'm an old ass 30 something year old "man" that likes to make internet friends with boys fresh out of highschool. I like to post "bruh" a lot just like the annoying immature and ghetto CAFords kids do. I like to talk shit about this website, make it look bad, all the while trying to make and save money off of other members here. Some may call me a selfish immature bitch. Deep down I know they are correct, it's not like I have anything else going on in my life or anything but negativity to offer this community. This is a free site. Suckers spend good time and money to keep this website going. They're suckers for doing so, so fuck them, I'm going to take them for all they got. It's all about me in this world.

92MaroonGT
¯
Member # 10397

quote:

You hunt bear with a bow?
BackwardSnake
¯
Member # 10857

quote:
quote:

Absolutely

--------------------

jlehr25
¯
Member # 10706

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jlehr25  Ford pictures for jlehr25    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
270 ftw!!!!! model 700 is one of the best hunting rifles ever cant go wrong with remington i have a 700 and absoloutly love it extremely accurate too
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This thread is winning. Hunting ftw

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:

Guns & lots of ammo FTW!

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

92MaroonGT
¯
Member # 10397

quote:
quote:
quote:

Absolutely
Nice. What kinda bow?
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SnakeBit:
quote:
Originally posted by DIRTY SALLY:

Guns & lots of ammo FTW!
ME AND J ARE WINNING [Big Grin]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com