Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » If you had to choose 1 car to keep as a toy (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you had to choose 1 car to keep as a toy
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Strictly hypothetical for you, may be a decision to come up soon for me.

I have 2 cars that most would consider to be toys.

My daily driver, is actually an $80 road bike, my commute to work is about 6-10 miles per day depending if I ride home for lunch, or bring it with me.

The 2 cars in question, are my `89 lx coupe that I put a lot of time into.

It has a stock forged bottom end `87 302 in it, with trick flow tw heads, trick flow stage 1 cam, edelbrock intake, ati procharger p1sc front mount intercooled supercharger, pullied for ~10psi, anderson powerpipe, canton 7qt road race oil pan with baffles, 1.6 rockers, hardened pushrods, arp headstuds, canton lower girdle with arp bolts, windage tray, high volume oil pump, explorer oil cooler, spec stage 2 clutch.
It has Griggs coil overs on Koni double-adjustable struts up front, sn95 steering rack, MM alloy rack bushings, MM FLSFC's, MM swaybar endlinks and bushings, MM strut brace, MM c/c plates, MM hybrid sn95 rack/fox steering column steering ragjoint, fluidyne radiator, 3g alternator, MM adj rear lca's, MM panhard bar, koni single adjustable rear shocks, MM torque arm rear springs, 3.73 gears with 03 cobra carbon friction discs in the diff, frpp aluminum driveshaft, T5, tri-ax shifter, all black interior w/hunsaker 5 point compatible race buckets, rear seat delete, trunk mount battery, 93 cobra brake booster and master cylinder, 04 mach1 13" front brakes on `95 spindles, northracecars.com rear cobra brake brackets for stock fox-length cobra 5 lug brakes, yukon hardened 5 lug fox length axles, dynomax black ceramic coated equal length headers, o/r 2.5" x-pipe, dynomax 2.5" superturbo catback...

Really there is too much to list, all it really needs to be finished up is for me to finish hiding the wiring in the fenders, finish laying sound deadoner through the interior, finish wiring up the gauge pod (boost, water temp, oil pressure, and 5" tach), have a 6pt cage built that can fit my 6'5" head in a helmet, and shell out for body work and a paint job.

Here's pics-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the other car is my `97 gt coupe.
It has a 'b' headed dohc 32v motor, teksid block, `96 cobra top end with imrc deletes, stock intake and exhaust manifolds, BBK 2.5" o/r h-pipe, flowmaster IRS american thunder 2.5" catback, stock `00 gt radiator, bbk fenderwell cai w/K&N, t45, king cobra clutch, mgw shifter, 04 mach1 13" front brakes, 03/04 cobra front lower arms, MM alloy rack bushings, MM c/c plates, stock 96-98 cobra strut brace, stock 96-98 convertible lower X brace, MM swaybar endlinks & bushings, MM FLSFC's, 03/04 cobra IRS, billetflow IRS diff brace, MM poly IRS cradle bushings, 03/04 stock bilstein shocks and struts, 03/04 cobra spec'd IRS H&R Race springs w/MM poly isolators, `95 gt grey bucket seats and 2 tone black over grey door panels and rear panels (it had all grey stock), `04 cupholder center console w/`04 double din radio bezel, `00 gt leather shift knob, JL 6.5" components in the front doors and mach460 pods, no rear speakers (removed the mach460 rear speaker box/amps/wiring), kenwood 75wx2 rms amp for the front speakers, boston accustics 10" sub in a sealed box in the trunk with an mtx 300w rms amp. The trunk, doors, and some of the floor has been covered with sound deadoner.

Here's pics
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

The cars old solid rear axle had 4.30 gears in it, and I miss them, so I do have a brand new in the box set of ford racing 4.30 gears + installation kit ready for this car. The paint is far from perfect and it could use a new paintjob to make me happy, the stock hood is cracking right over the intake of the 4v motor so that would need to be addressed, I'd like to install drop motor mounts but haven't been able to find any that still utilize a bushing isolator...don't want the car to shake.

Which would you choose, if you had to keep only 1 toy car?  For what it's worth, I built both cars, no work has ever been done to them by anyone but myself and a couple friends lending hands a few times. I'm sure I missed LOTS of parts that both cars have on them, it's rather rediculous how deep I've gotten into both of them. Somedays I find myself really wanting just 1 project car to concentrate on.

The `97 is a much nicer overall car, but when I want to go on a long trip in a nice car, my wife and I will either take my Harley truck, or her `08 GT...

the `89 is a much FASTER overall car, and both can fit my 17x9 track wheels (knock off bullitt's w/ 275/40r17 nitto nt-01's), the `97 is easier to drive because of it having less torque.

Either car is basically a weekend track toy, now that I ride a bike to work...I just can't see owning both of them, I just have too many cars to take care of/wash/pay insurance/registration on that I don't drive. I'm definitely selling our Tahoe in the short term, but I really need to make a decision on one of these cars.

I'm going to post this on a foxbody centric, and on an sn95 centric forum as a poll to compare the answers [Wink]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Foxbody for sure. You put way too much time and effort into that one. I remember when you got it as a 4 cyl. back in the day

It's come a long way, you'd probably regret getting rid of that one for sure [patriot]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
phonso302
¯
Member # 9260

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phonso302  Ford pictures for phonso302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Front plates are visible on the last picture
fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You gotta ask yourself which one is more practical, money mileage insurance maintanence and go from there. Sometimes just cause we love a car doesn't mean we can keep it. Your car man and if you get rid of it don't look back with regret shit will drive you crazy.
Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by phonso302:
Front plates are visible on the last picture

thanks, but neither car has those plates anymore, both have lojack/viper alarms and stay in my garage, while the registration goes to my parents house 400 miles away.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:
Foxbody for sure. You put way too much time and effort into that one. I remember when you got it as a 4 cyl. back in the day

It's come a long way, you'd probably regret getting rid of that one for sure [patriot]

Agreed... Seems like uve put more into the fox... And also, if its just a toy, who cares how much torque it has? U wont drive it everyday... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the amount of work that you've put into that car, I think the '89 LX is the one that should be your toy car. Being that this car would be your "weekend track toy" you already have a pretty good platform to work with, with your '89.

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep the fox, easy to work on, parts are cheap, registration and insurance are cheap. Plus it'll put a lot of other cars in their place.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Kevin, most folks here will probably tell you to keep the fox. And they would have a good point. It's lighter, has the most desireable body style of the fox years, and has more work into it.

If it were me, and the "toy" was really a race car, I'd probably keep the fox. If you are looking for an all around toy that you can race or drive on the street frequently, the SN95 platform is without question superior.

If it were me, I'd probably sell the fox and get a blower for the DOHC.

I am 100% in agreement with you that owning 2 "toys" that sit around is excessive...

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

My biggest issue with keeping the fox is smog, although everything has a CARB #, is setup legally, I always have trouble passing visual, the last time I smogged it the first place failed me because of the SFI balancer and 'they couldn't read the timing marks', apparently a polished billet balancer is hard to read the marks, lol. I got passed that by painting it black and sticking a timing strip sticker on it...but it's always something!

The 97 goes through smog like stock and its originally from NV, so it doesnt even have to pass the obd2 check, if it has a lit CEL it can be cleared right before the test and if the sniffer is clean it passes. It's nice to not worry about which smog tech is working that day whether it will pass smog...

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaW03SvT  Ford pictures for 1RaW03SvT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] [worship] FOXBODY [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Posts: 2159 | From: *SVTaDDicT* | Registered: May 2009  |  :
JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Put some chalk on the balancer and call it a day [patriot]
Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
turbo50
¯
Member # 6700

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for turbo50  Ford pictures for turbo50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 2006 Harley bagger, nice as fuck.

I have a 66 dodge charger, work in progress.

I have a 69 camaro nice as fuck.

I have bought and sold over 40 foxbody mustangs in my lifetime and I keep coming back to them.

There is no second thinking this for me.

Hands down the fox body.

Dan

--------------------
.........when was the last time YOU built something with YOUR own hands?

I offer quality sidework at reasonable prices. PM ME

Posts: 7606 | From: Discovery Bay, California | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nether just my two cents. California Fucking sucks with smog laws and modified cars. It's not fun fixing up cars anymore. Buy something new that its fast and fun to drive stock. Or and old school pre smog

[ July 06, 2011, 11:53 PM: Message edited by: losbadgts ]

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
definitely keep the fox coupe.
hilltim54
¯
Member # 10655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hilltim54  Ford pictures for hilltim54    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just askin, if u were to sell the fox.. How much would u ask for it??

--------------------
Just bcuz you lived a long life dont mean it cant come to a short end old ass nigga.

Thugnificent

Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':

+1

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep the fox, youll never find a clean, or one just like it. Their getting harder to find espeicially a coupe. U put alotta time into it too. my first ride was a 2.3 hatch i ended up putting 3gs into it and it looked like crap and i still regret lettin it go.since then i bought a 81berlinetta, 89rs, 91rs, 95v6, 95v6, 95lt1, all maros, 94 fbird then got rid of them cuz i realized i liked 50s

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm gonna have to go against the grain here and vote for the SN95.

You yourself said the 97 is a nicer overall car, and easier to drive on-track due to the predictable torque low down in the mod motors RPM range.

The fox may be faster overall, but which one do you enjoy driving most? Which one is more rewarding at the limit on-track?

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep the sn and sell me the fox lol

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NavidR:
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':

+1
+10

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
fast 98gt
¯
Member # 9307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fast 98gt  Ford pictures for fast 98gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sn95 better all around and easier to smog

--------------------
98 gt with mark 8 motor
07 p71 crown vic
02 explorer 4.0 4wd
90 gt hatch auto sold
90 f350 5.8 sold
88 lx vert 2.3 5sp...sold

Posts: 173 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 04 S281:
I'm gonna have to go against the grain here and vote for the SN95.

You yourself said the 97 is a nicer overall car, and easier to drive on-track due to the predictable torque low down in the mod motors RPM range.

The fox may be faster overall, but which one do you enjoy driving most? Which one is more rewarding at the limit on-track?

I say the sn95 is nicer, because it has awesome A/C, the heater works great, the ABS is nice to have, it's much quieter and it rides a lot nicer on the freeway.

But that's the thing, one has IRS and no torque, even back with the old SRA and 4.30 gears I always wanted more torque out of it, like it needed 4.56 gears or something, it's even worse now with 3.55's or whatever the 03/04 cobra IRS has stock...the other car has a 3 link and is a complete animal, like a 500hp gokart. Around the track I don't have the skills to really drive it as fast as it could be driven, the sn95 is easier to drive, no question about it. It's easy to be smooth. But getting the lines right with the fox and putting all the power down...nothing that I've driven can compare, and I've taken rides / driven in a lot of different cars out at track days. The only thing close was a friends z06 corvette, but that felt slow and huge compared to my fox.

I've put ~30k miles onto the sn95 as a daily driver for the past 3 years and it's never had a problem, I've taken it to the autox/track once a month for the past 2 years while I took the foxbody apart and was building the engine up. It's a super reliable car, returns 18-26mpg depending how I drive it, can rev to 7200rpm anytime I want it to, and with ~300rwhp and being fairly light, it's really fast enough to have a lot of fun in, especially with how well the total package of parts on the car handle.

Now that I bike to work, and the foxbody is nearly done, I find less of a need to keep both cars.

it's going to be a tough choice, I really love driving both cars, and since both started out with motor swaps, I've really put a lot of time into both of them...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Notch_notch
¯
Member # 8902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch_notch  Ford pictures for Notch_notch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im keep my fox body coupe forever. Fox body FTW peiord. [Wink]

--------------------
How many fake accounts does one need? Make a fake account, get the ban. It's in the rules.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com