Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Back to reality (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Back to reality
Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So Im planning on buying a muscle car under 20k since ill be financing it. Ive looked at a couple options nd Ive narrowed it down to the 04-06 GTOs and 03-04 Cobras. I know its a Ford forum and you guys are chevy haters(most)But I donot mind having an lsx.

So the question here is:

What are pros and cons of the Terminators? Ive heard of some problems and stuff with compression or what not.

GTO will be an ls2 and if you guys know any pros or cons that would help too.

I know performance wise whats up, so power/suspension etc isnt a big deal between the two. Just wanna know what the big problems would be.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
03-04 Cobra No doubt! Bad ass machenery if I say so myself. [worship]

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the mustang as a platform is a lot cheaper to maintain and modify.

If you find a good terminator that doesn't have a hurt motor, it's a lot easier to get power out of it. Pulley, intake, exhaust, tune?

The GTO has overall nicer interior, and even left stock is a pretty nice car, but so is the terminator.

I would choose the mustang, I know if something goes wrong on it, rather than replacing it with something stock, every part can be upgraded...cheaply

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The LSX motors make good power, not quite as easily as a termi but they do respond well to bolt ons a little better.

Intake, exhaust, free mods.

The only thing cheaper is camming it, it's simple to cam an LSX. Parts will be slightly expensive, but I've got 116k and not a hiccup.

But a LS2 Goat can be had for 13-18k with low mileage.

And a termi for 18k, well bring a compression tester.

[ June 23, 2011, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: LS1 ]

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about a C5? any consideration towards one of them.

Daniel

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they both have cons that i could not live with

they both have a heavy irs the mustangs an easy swap to make it a live axle

they both weigh too much
the mustang is easier to make lighter tubular k coilovers etc
no one makes a tubular k for a gto

the tranny in the gto (manual) is better than the mustang one untill you upgrade the input shaft in the cobra

ls motors are very good motors easy to mod

4v suck when it comes to valvetrain and cams.

cobra motors do not take abuse very well so a used one should b inspected very well. find one where the owner has all the maintenece records. good comp etc.

it basically comes down to looks

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BTLD GT:

Daniel

+1 (if you don't need a backseat)...

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cobra then whipple it

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BTLD GT:

Daniel

Hate to admit,but +2.
If you dont have kids or you have a commuter already and your friends wont abandon you,a C5 Z06 falls in that price range.
Or not........and buy a Cobra. [patriot]

[ June 23, 2011, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
04 S281
¯
Member # 9229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04 S281  Ford pictures for 04 S281    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The GTO has an awesome chassis and suspension... Designed with IRS in mind from the ground up. Far superior than the bolt-in IRS Ford slapped into the 79-04 chassis... Under all that Pontiac badging it's really a Holden/Vauxhall Monaro.

The LS2 is a great motor, reliable, and capable of nice power with simple mods.

Posts: 1570 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2009  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go with the goat or a c5 Z. Or a CTS-V...

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I vote EVO

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didnt even know you can get a c5 for under 20k?

This is helping alot, Ive been looking for a cts-v for the longest time and cant find ANYTHING. The ones i do find are kinda messed up. IF ima get a caddy, i want a nice one.

Thats the only thing im kind of scared of, The compression loss on cobras. I dont wanna spend around 15-20k for a cobra nd have it break on me. Ive only done a compression test once in school like 4 years ago so its not like im a pro nd remember how to do it, so im assuming itll cost me a lil bit.

Im kinda leaning more lsx as of right now.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
I vote EVO

i thought about that, even STI but everything i find has over 50-60k miles. Im talking 08 and up. So im assuming those cars are being dogged.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

BTLD GT
¯
Member # 5229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BTLD GT  Ford pictures for BTLD GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Carless:
I didnt even know you can get a c5 for under 20k?

This is helping alot, Ive been looking for a cts-v for the longest time and cant find ANYTHING. The ones i do find are kinda messed up. IF ima get a caddy, i want a nice one.

Thats the only thing im kind of scared of, The compression loss on cobras. I dont wanna spend around 15-20k for a cobra nd have it break on me. Ive only done a compression test once in school like 4 years ago so its not like im a pro nd remember how to do it, so im assuming itll cost me a lil bit.

Im kinda leaning more lsx as of right now.

I snagged my 98 for 12.5 with 90k on it with a bunch of nice upgrades. 20k will get u a low millage base c5 or z06 with a lil more miles.

Daniel

--------------------
2000 Cobra R

2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ls2

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
RED@7kVERT *8850GT*
¯
Member # 5909

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*  Ford pictures for RED@7kVERT *8850GT*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A cts-v for $20 you say??

--------------------
02 Z06-11.0 @ 132 1.9 60'
_ _ _ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _ _
Sold:05 CTS-V-13.1@114
Sold:01 Cobra Vert-12.0@119

Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Carless:
quote:
Originally posted by Adam5.0:
I vote EVO

i thought about that, even STI but everything i find has over 50-60k miles. Im talking 08 and up. So im assuming those cars are being dogged.
there is an EVO VIII on Craigslist now. 19k with 38k miles. but most stuff you find has 60k plus miles. If you assume these are dogged then you must assume that any cobra or gto is too. With any "performance" oriented car you have to assume people are going to want to have some fun with it.

[ June 23, 2011, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: Adam5.0 ]

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It shouldn't be difficult to find a C5 Z06 for under $20K. You could also checkout the Corvette forum (link below)for some good deals.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/index.php

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:

It's going to be a bit difficult to find a 1st Gen CTS-V for under $20K, but by no means am I doubting that there are few out there in California.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
quote:
Originally posted by RED@7kVERT *8850GT*:

It's going to be a bit difficult to find a 1st Gen CTS-V for under $20K, but by no means am I doubting that there are few out there in California.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/ctd/2450802701.html

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2458363905.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2452962566.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2455182120.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/2451077616.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2447407291.html
And CTS-V's are sick as hell,but one thing ive noticed is dont get one if you like 5k launches.

[ June 23, 2011, 10:13 PM: Message edited by: 50DADDY ]

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/2458363905.html
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/2452962566.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2455182120.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2447407291.html
And CTS-V's are sick as hell,but one thing ive noticed is dont get one if you like 5k launches.

Damn, although I'm more of a GM guy it would be difficult to choose which out of that selection to purchase.
2T0NE
Go 49ers
Member # 4216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2T0NE  Ford pictures for 2T0NE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
clean

--------------------
Originally posted by x Raelsmar x:
Can't wait till the Giants lose tomorrow night so all you Giants fans are forced to shut the fuck up.

Posts: 14676 | From: 760 carlsbad | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:
Go with the goat or a c5 Z. Or a CTS-V...

Listen to this guy
[Wink]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com