Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » need help from you motorcycle riders

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need help from you motorcycle riders
915.0gt
¯
Member # 9518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 915.0gt  Ford pictures for 915.0gt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i just got off the phone with our district manager talking about a promotion but it would lead to me having to commute about 40miles one way 80miles round trip. so i get about 90miles (80%highway 20% city) in the mustang and thats gona be ok but its like 350$ a month for gas and the bride toll is 5$ (200$ a month, 5 days a week) for a car and 2.50$ for a bike, if this promotion works out i want to look into investing into a motorocycle for comute (haha becuase i refuse to drive an import with no balls [Smile] ), im also like 80% new to motorcycles and 100% new to street bikes.

so my questions:

how long does it take to get a motorcycle license and what all do i have to do? do i have to take a class or am i exempt from a class since i am over 18?

what do you guys get for your mpg and for what size bike? i read on yahoo that a 600cc gets about 40mpg?

bike make and brand recomendations? ive always heard new riders should start out fairly small 650cc or so? and i hear good things about honda bikes and gsx?

last question, what are you paying for insurance if you dont mind?

thanx

[ June 22, 2011, 10:38 PM: Message edited by: 915.0gt ]

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd get a standard upright bike like an sv650 or fzr1000 if you insist on commuting with a bike. I personally wouldnt make that commute because its non stop danger from debris and all sorts of road shit, plus the assholes in traffic. 40 miles each way is not a walk in the park on your back. I'd get myself a honda civic or accord.

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:
I'd get a standard upright bike like an sv650 or fzr1000 if you insist on commuting with a bike. I personally wouldnt make that commute because its non stop danger from debris and all sorts of road shit, plus the assholes in traffic. 40 miles each way is not a walk in the park on your back. I'd get myself a honda civic or accord.

I hate to say it but I actually agree with this dood.
Greasy
¯
Member # 5258

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greasy  Ford pictures for Greasy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 915.0gt:
what do you guys get for your mpg and for what size bike? i read on yahoo that a 600cc gets about 40mpg?

My DD TDI Jetta gets 50MPG and it's a little safer then a bike when you are commuting with a bunch of dumb ass drivers.

--------------------
'93 Cobra-Coyote Powered
'03 DSG Cobra
'13 Dodge Cummins
'14 Rubicon X

Posts: 3272 | From: North Dallas | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
LXjames
¯
Member # 10791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LXjames  Ford pictures for LXjames    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your new to bikes jumping into commuting isnt the shit especially 80 miles. but i will say my preference is a gsxr 750 good on performance and mpg.

--------------------
On Point Motorsport prez.
King Lx

Posts: 4761 | From: Pittsburg CA | Registered: Mar 2011  |  :
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm new to motorcycles and I'm currently in the process of getting one. As far as commuting goes, you're better off getting a Naked bike i.e. SV650, FZ1, Z1000, Speed Triple, etc. An additional denefit of these bikes is low insurance premiums, compared to full fairing bikes. As far as licensing goes, well you have two options: Written test (DMV) and Riding test (DMV), or Written test (DMV) and Motorcycle safety course aka MSF. The advantages of taking an MSF course is that you learn a lot about bike safety, it helps lower you insurance rate, and upon completion of the course you won't be required to take the riding test for your license. The only disadvantage to this option is that fact that you'll have to pay for the course ($200ish). I've been getting insurance quotes from various insurance companies and Progressive seems to have the best rates.

Although getting a motorcycle would be cool, I think you're better off getting a Jetta TDI or some other fuel efficient vehicle, that you can drive year round.

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

fstryde3
¯
Member # 8436

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fstryde3  Ford pictures for fstryde3    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Cobra 93-4992:

Sad but true, idiots rain cold tired road work traffic all lead to more danger on a bike, rode one for years put it up after some chick almost killed me. I'm not saying don't do it but take your time and think on it, and yes take the class it allows you to skip the DMV driving test.

[ June 22, 2011, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: fstryde3 ]

Posts: 2950 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2008  |  :
SLOWSN95
¯
Member # 8269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWSN95  Ford pictures for SLOWSN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These guys ^^^ are right. You're better off getting a little 4 banger that gets good ass gas mileage. I know everybody has seen stupid ass drivers out there that dont give a f**k about how they drive. My friends dad was rear-ended on his harley and the bike fell on his leg and completely shattered every bone. And my friend who commuted only 8 miles everyday was actually killed because some lady decided not to look to her left and tried to pull out into traffic when he was right there. Think about your safety before your wallet..

--------------------
94' GT
347 Stroker
MM Suspended

2003 SB SVT Lightning
Pullied and Lowered

89'Hatch-SOLD

Posts: 2214 | From: 510/east bay | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
fredfifty
Since
9/2010
Member # 10320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fredfifty  Ford pictures for fredfifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
bike it if you cant BART it! lol

ins. liabilty for me was 96/yr...got about 200ish miles on 15-20 bucks of gas on 91...first bike for me was 02 r6...not smart, but it depends on your maturity and habits. msf ftw! its fun too. if you looking at insurance, just call AIS, im telling you. theyll find one for you. cheap. head must be on a swivel when riding, make eye contact with drivers, dont ride outside your limits...get gear so you wont get flamed by everybody...overall, if your confident in yourself, your a grown man...get that bike, just be mindful of the dangers that accompany riding.

hella corny, but the old saying is "there are two riders, those that went down, and those that are going down"

its inevitable.

--------------------
RIP EDSON VELORO
IM A NOOB, EXCUSE ME. THANKS.
92 LX Coupe 5.0 CARB'd BOLT-ONS SMOG LEGAL
62 Rag Impala

Stangn5oh
¯
Member # 10875

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stangn5oh  Ford pictures for Stangn5oh  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Id go with a bike. i bought a 91suzuki katana 600cc flat black with no plastics (cafe racer style) for $550 on craigslist, ran great. The next day i throttled too much,popped a wheelie, and threw the bike. I didnt really get hurt, got right back up and walked the bike off the road w/ my crankcase cover cracked. Since then i dropped the bike twice but not a scratch on me just torn up shoes. Just be on the look out for other cars, act as if cars never see you, if u drive 65 be more cautious cars will tailgate u, my experience drive 70_75. I only

--------------------
88 lx
17 Renegade turbo
18 Compass 4x4

Hit the gasser, go faster, all u heard was dual exhaust n flowmasters.

Posts: 1643 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Apr 2011  |  :
Termin8Him
¯
Member # 7895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Termin8Him  Ford pictures for Termin8Him    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My first bike was a suzuki GSX-R. I bought it without any motorcycle experience. A few months after i purchased the bike a took a motorcycle safety course in vallejo and received my license. it's all about respecting the bike, not trying anything stupid, and keeping your eyes wide open. It's actually for sale if you're interested. let me know.  -

--------------------
-whippled termy
-07 silverado

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What bridge are you crossing? The Bay Bridge? If so, fuck that on a bike. I've been riding for 10 years and commuting on the Bay Bridge is like playing Russian roulette.

Either way, 600's get about 35-40mpg. If you really want to get good mileage, get a Ninja 250. My old roommate was getting 65mpg on a bad day.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if your looking to buy a bike i have one for sale. its a 07 gsxr 600 2600 miles, i lost intrest in it.
Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah that Bay Bridge commute on a bike sucks ass! I was commuting from Brentwood to Frisco M-F on my Gixxer 1k & ZX10R's & I had quite a few scary moments! Actually more than just a few!! People just don't see u & don't care either! Instead of them being happy it's 1 less car on the road they hate bikers coz we're passing right by em. Especially them motherfuckers who u see eyecontact with in their mirror & they still close the gap in on u!

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Most people that really ride (riding to starbucks and posing after a few wheelies is not real riding)will tell you to get a used, small engine displacement bike as a starter bike, but what you seem to want is a commuter and new rider+no experience+deadly commute equals a recipe for disaster.

Like what others have said..get a gas efficient little four-banger car. You will be better off...and by the way anyone trying to sell a new a sport bike as your first bike is doing you a disservice..my opinion.

[ June 23, 2011, 04:26 AM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
Slow05GT
¯
Member # 8408

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Slow05GT  Ford pictures for Slow05GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love riding!!! I average about 1200+ miles a month. I have two bikes an the only time I drive my truck is when it's raining. Gas has been %100 different for me now, $10 here an there is really no big deal.

With that said, take a motorcycle class, I took one at woodland adult school about a year after I started riding. You will learn alot more then just jumping on the bike an riding.

I ride an 04ZX10R an a Bagger love em both just gotta see what's best for you.

Posts: 2233 | From: Natomas, ca | Registered: May 2008  |  :
1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If i were a n00b i'd get this bike. Super cheap, honda reliable and not too fast.

http://powersports.honda.com/2011/cbr250r.aspx

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you really want a bike get it because you want to not because u have to. Nothing bigger then a 600 either. Motorcycles are fun [dance]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com