Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » NEW GUY - 73 Mach 1 Mustang Suspension Set-up

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: NEW GUY - 73 Mach 1 Mustang Suspension Set-up
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whoo-hoo, my first post!!! well i must of saw some of you guys on the 27th of June. it was my first time out there and i was with my friend from work in a orange/black foose mustang. my mach 1 is the same colors are the 49ers's red n gold.i was introduced to the website by somebody else here who i work around.

-

i had a horrible and embarrassing day. i couldn't get any traction on my street tires (what you know), my purely corning handling suspension and my issue with my RPM tach going out of whack with the MSD. at high rpm, it would feel like my car was shutting off and not letting me rev. my redline is at 6000rpms and it only happens when i am floored and the secondaries are open. at partial throttle, i can get her to 6000rpms easily.

since then, i found out my vacuum advance is out and replaced the dizzy and curved it properly. i installed #2 higher primary jets and #6 higher secondary jets (i found out using a plug you should jet up another 6-10 than normally) with jet extensions. however the carb just seems to not run completely right. i am looking into a 800cfm dp or getting a custom made one by prosystems.

i just got finished installing competition engineering traction bars and removed the sway bar (forced by the design of the traction bars). i replaced all the shocks with doetsch tech shocks and set the rear's to 40/60 and set up the fronts to 80/20. i would of set them to 90/10 but i did hear in other forums they are setting big block motors to 80/20 instead of 90/10. "please let me know if i should change this set up!!!" i also replaced the lower springs that don't compress for sheet, with shock springs and cut less than 1/4 coil to still achieve the same stance. once i finished doing the coil spring swap, the rotors were at least 3 inch closer to the ground. i had to rejack the car up to get the wheel back on. i now have over the 5 inch of wheel travel on the front more traction bar companies recommend like calverts.

i went out ridding in it, and i could definetely feel a huge difference in weight transfer. from a dead stop i could see the front jump up. and feel the rear end sit down some now. i still have the handling 5 leaf springs but i could actually feel them sit some now. i've actually road around with the old suspension before and road with no rear shocks and didn't feel too much of a difference. i'm happy with the suspension results.

lastly, i set off my 17x9 wheels to get widened to 11 wide by Eric Vaughn in sothern california near my hometown. i did this so i can get a super wide 315/35/17 tire. however, people in the 460 forums are saying a true drag racer uses 28-30 tall tires. its difficult to get that tall of tire in DRAG RADIALS in 17's. i have to have larger rims because i have Cobra brakes on my car and it requires 17's up front and 16s in the rear. i'd prefer to keep all the same sizes. there are companies like M&H racemasters that has a 325/45/17 tire but i'm not sure how long it'll last cuz i do drive on the streets mainly. i would think since i have such a wide tire it'll be ok and compensate for a taller skinnier drag radial like a 275/50/17. what do you guys think? i'm looking into nitto 555r's.

just a quick run down on the setup, i have a 466 big block thats pretty mild with a tko600 trans and 3.89 gears (these gears make it almost unusable in most gears and with the tires). i know i maybe have to go with a 3.50ish gear and with a true trac differential. i have a posi'ish rear that will most of the time hook up both tires but sometimes it doesn't.

[ June 22, 2011, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: xoliex ]

Posts: 121 | From: Yuba City Cali | Registered: Jun 2011  |  :
Smoked50
¯
Member # 9592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Smoked50  Ford pictures for Smoked50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a beast! More pictures please!

--------------------
1993 4 Cyl - 68 RWHP

I live my life a quarter mile at a time. For those 25 seconds or less, I'm free.

coupe5oh
¯
Member # 10411

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for coupe5oh  Ford pictures for coupe5oh    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
nice car..my buddy has 2 of them with the 351 cobra jet motor

--------------------
R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt)
96 4.6- H/C/I 5.3 LS swap
95 5.0- SOLD
94 5.0- SOLD

1996 GT
I'm Joe Yates
Member # 4992

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1996 GT  Ford pictures for 1996 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome! First question, do you like cheese sandwiches?

--------------------
http://i.magaimg.net/img/257w.png

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site! Nice to see another old school

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice Old School. Glad theres another big block on the site. I have a 460 bored and stroked to 532 in my 68 Fastback.
Your kinda local to me too.

[ June 21, 2011, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: WildFire532FB ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site Oliver!
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site. Good to see another old school on the board.

--------------------
1966 Mustang

NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site, I run this [patriot]

Oh yeah, GO NINERS!!!!

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey buddy [patriot]

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Me and my step father are working on a 1971 Mach 1
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NEIGHT:
Welcome to the site, I run this [patriot]

Oh yeah, GO NINERS!!!!

Welcome.
F#@K YEAH, GO NINERS......

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olie Malit  Ford pictures for Olie Malit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hell yeah, go niners!!!

i'm currently trying to figure out a size tire. the ones that are really wide, are mostly 25.7 tire. but the ones that are a recommended 28 inches tall are narrower. i don't know if a M&H 390-40-17 tire would fit because of the 29.5 inches of height. might have to do some massage with my 7.0 backspacing. i do however hear they run super narrow and the max wheel you should have on it is a 12 which i have an 11 so i should be in the money.

i was thinking about a super wide and tall 345-40-17 from toyo but i guess people are saying on a super high HP car that 26 inch mickey thompsons will hook up better.

i'm trying to get a taller tire on my 17 but the selection is narrow. but i also need it to fit my 11 wide rim just fine.

any suggestions!!!

Pumpkin_Notch
TEAM PLATINUM
Member # 3946

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Notch  Ford pictures for Pumpkin_Notch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Welcome to the site.

--------------------
TEAM PLATINUM
87LX: T-TOP PUMPKIN NOTCH
94N.C.F.GT: 418w
www.facebook.com/PLATINUM1320tv

Posts: 2790 | From: RICHMOND/sanpablo | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Duncan Motors
¯
Member # 7045

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Duncan Motors  Ford pictures for Duncan Motors    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have the same car but a notch. the ass end is way to light, and those leaf springs are crap, way to stiff no matter what shocks u got there, cal tracks makes a slide traction link bar that helps greatly!but u will need a not so stiff spring, the 5 leaf ones are set up for more of a road race set up and they suck for that to. it sounds like ur drag oriented. and with that motor good lord!!! mini tub it with a 4 link is the only i think.
TrillaJay
¯
Member # 10274

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrillaJay  Ford pictures for TrillaJay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98 ROUSH:
Hey buddy [patriot]

Hey buddy [patriot]
Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

quote:
Originally posted by Duncan Motors:
i have the same car but a notch. the ass end is way to light, and those leaf springs are crap, way to stiff no matter what shocks u got there, cal tracks makes a slide traction link bar that helps greatly!but u will need a not so stiff spring, the 5 leaf ones are set up for more of a road race set up and they suck for that to. it sounds like ur drag oriented. and with that motor good lord!!! mini tub it with a 4 link is the only i think.

i actually have 69-70 mustang 5 leaf springs (long story how i have ones for this year). i went out driving and i'm so surprise even though they are 5 leaf they are sitting down so hard. i wonder if i can just take out one of the leafs though.

no need to tube the wheel wells, a 12 inch wheel fits with no mods other than a rolled lip.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

quote:
Originally posted by Notch1320:
Welcome to the site Oliver!

why thank you sir!!!!
Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
xoliex, did you ever drive this car on Base? I use to work in 1086 and have a blue WS6. I remember seeing your buddy's Foose Mustang parked across the street. I can't remember the guy's name but I remember that he use to work AGE.

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Olie Malit
¯
Member # 11008

quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
xoliex, did you ever drive this car on Base? I use to work in 1086 and have a blue WS6. I remember seeing your buddy's Foose Mustang parked across the street. I can't remember the guy's name but I remember that he use to work AGE.

yes, i drive my car on base sometimes.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com