Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need help with Optima Battery warranty

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need help with Optima Battery warranty
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Will have a Optima red top battery that is dated September 2010 and is dead and I don't have a receipt, trying to figure a way to warranty it without a receipt.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call up Pep Boys and tell them you got it from them and lost your receipt. If they are cool they will help you out. It worked for me.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've bought all my optima's from costco, recently returned a dead red top and got back like $175, no receipt the purchase was in their computer linked to my membership.

Price of the new red top was ~$150, so I upgraded to a yellow top for about $8 out of pocket...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I have had a lot of bad luck with red tops in the past, so I switched to a blue top in my race car, this red top came with one of my Mustangs I just bought, so I have no history of me buying it.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Yeah I have had a lot of bad luck with red tops in the past, so I switched to a blue top in my race car, this red top came with one of my Mustangs I just bought, so I have no history of me buying it.

Do you guys have the proper charger for the optimas?

Costco doesn't carry the optimas anymore.

Ive had good luck with the yellow and blue tops but that because I have the proper charger for them

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They require a 4 step charger since it's a gel battery. I had 2 out of 3 red tops die on me even with the correct charger. They may have been bad from the start. I got fed up with it and just bought a regular battery at NAPA and it's worked without any problems for the past 2 years.
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lee, I read on the bullet that you can try hooking a battery charger up to a regular battery and then run jumper cables from from the regular battery to the Optima. I tried it, and it brought a troublesome Red Top back to life. I ended up buying another red top, but I still use the original one as a back up at the track. I think Optimas went to shit over that last few years and heard they are no longer made in the USA...

Lee, I have a relatively new Red Top from my race car I will be selling soon along with a billet mount for the Optima as I am going to a light weight battery.

[ March 16, 2011, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: Notch1320 ]

Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

I know about using another battery to help charge the optima, when I first tried it wouldnt take a charge, but today it's taking a charge.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So what you guy think is the best battery out right now cause im going to purchase a car battery in a couple of days. I was going to buy a optima but now reading these comments i dont know [Confused]

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Well I had to use a gel battery because I didn't want to get a sealed battery box in the trunk, for track rules, that's the only reason I use optima. I have a blue top for my race car, but it's in my daily driver until the race car gets finished and no problem so far. But if you need a gel battery there are a few good ones but they are $$$$$.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

98 ROUSH
¯
Member # 10309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 ROUSH  Ford pictures for 98 ROUSH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i dont need a gel just want the best out there!

--------------------
Built 2v
Stroked, Cammed and Blown
Advanced Auto Built & Kurgan Tuned

Posts: 4678 | From: North Hayward, Cali | Registered: Sep 2010  |  :
JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEFOX87  Ford pictures for JOEFOX87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.odysseyfactory.com/batterysearch.asp

Heard a lot of great things about this company

Posts: 824 | From: Union City, California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm using XS Power batteries now. They are a sealed style battery and safe for use in the truck or pass. compartment and can be mounted in different positions.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have had the same yellow top since 2005 drain many times an just used a trickle charger to bring it back.it sat in my chevelle since may of 2010 an just started up last week with out a jump start or charging it

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com