Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Tint Ticket FYI

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tint Ticket FYI
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wanted to give everyone an FYI, got a ticket a few weeks ago for tinted windows on my trucks front windows by CHP. Ticket was $200 and was written as a restriction of view violation. No longer a fix it ticket. Tint is like 35% to. Sucks

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

9cobra7
¯
Member # 2812

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9cobra7  Ford pictures for 9cobra7    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How could this not be a fix it ticket? I got one too almost 2 years ago and it was 120.00 and I got that violation thrown out in court but still got my speeding ticket. So I'm not sure if they changed the law but that is ridiculous now. You might want to do a little investigating.
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Tinted windows can turn into a moving violation if you get caught by the same officer like I did, years ago, they called it, continue to operate vehicle after being notified.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
BUKSING
¯
Member # 6594

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BUKSING  Ford pictures for BUKSING    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
Tinted windows can turn into a moving violation if you get caught by the same officer like I did, years ago, they called it, continue to operate vehicle after being notified.

yup...years ago a cop gave me a fix it ticket and said if i get pulled over again on my way home it will be a moving violation.
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Never had a ticket for it before. He wrote me for VC26708A.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Broke4.6
¯
Member # 9085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broke4.6  Ford pictures for Broke4.6    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
and if hes pulled you over 3 times for the same violation by the same officer...he will give you an unlawfull operation ticket..."operating a vehicle with the knowledge of it being illegally modified" they tow your shit! lol

trust me...i know from experience

--------------------
01 GT -lazer red- 32v swap

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
These days it seems more likely they will get you for no front plate, tint and loud exhaust. As far as tint goes I think this only applies to Northern California. I have not seen one car in Southern California that is NOT tinted 5% all the way around.
Blubyu87gt
¯
Member # 9427

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blubyu87gt  Ford pictures for Blubyu87gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When a State/County/City need revenue they try to get it in petty ways such as this... Seems to be worse in CA then when I left...

--------------------
Make something idiot proof and you only find a new class of idiot!

Posts: 98 | From: Charleston, SC | Registered: Aug 2009  |  :
RAP66
¯
Member # 3360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RAP66  Ford pictures for RAP66    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just for grins I did some searghing and found this:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.

--------------------
91GT Kurgan Tuned:12lbs of boost 492.4 rwhp / 483.1 rwtq
http://killcarb.org/

www.fordstrokers.com

Posts: 893 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RAP66:
just for grins I did some searghing and found this:

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

California Window Tint Law
California Tint Law Enacted: 1999
HOW DARK CAN WINDOW TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Darkness of tint is measured by Visible Light Transmission percentage (VLT%). In California, this percentage refers to percentage of visible light allowed in through the combination of film and the window.

Windshield Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 4 inches of the windshield.
Front Side Windows Must allow more than 70% of light in.
Back Side Windows Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window Any darkness can be used.

HOW REFLECTIVE CAN THE TINT BE IN CALIFORNIA?

Similar to sunglass lenses, some tinting film contain metallic elements that help in reflecting incoming light and reducing the glare and heat generated by visible light.

Front Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.
Back Side Windows Must not be more reflective than a standard window.

OTHER CALIFORNIA RULES AND REGULATIONS

Restricted Colors The tint color(s) of RED AMBER BLUE are not legal by state law.

The percentage of how much light is allowed in? So if i had 20% tint on my windows it is allowing in 80% light?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Straight from CHP Web Site, nothing with color is legal.

Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

1.The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
2.If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

--------------------
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

SteveL
¯
Member # 1241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SteveL  Ford pictures for SteveL    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
So if i had 20% tint on my windows it is allowing in 80% light?
Most window tint companies advertise how much light is allowed to pass through the film. So, "20% tint" usually means 20% transmission ( 80% is blocked ).

Look at the film specs from the website listed earlier.

http://www.snaptint.com/help.php?section=specs

Look under the Visible Light, Trans column. The number listed in that column must be 70 or greater. None of that companies SnapTint Car Tint films meet CA laws.

Posts: 578 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: May 2002  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
$8.75 says it was good o'le officer Love.

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:
$8.75 says it was good o'le officer Love.

lol, whats crazy is this fool pulls me over and says "you know why I pulled you over?" I say no idea. He says " I clocked you going 67mph" I almost couldnt stop myself from laughing. I told him well my speedo must be off, because I had my cruise control set at 65mph, and I really did. So this fool sites me for windows, just looking to get paid. But hey its my bad, im the one with the tint.

--------------------
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have limo tint all around on my SUV. The other day I was near the newpark mall when I saw a newark cop to my right, tring to look at me through my tint. He pulled me over and ask me, Where is your front and rear license plate? Ohh officer, I took it off when I waxed the car the other day when it wasnt raining. He told me to put it back on when I have a minute. Never said anything about the tint.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

SPIDER_STANG
¯
Member # 8658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPIDER_STANG  Ford pictures for SPIDER_STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by stanger50_vet:
I have limo tint all around on my SUV. The other day I was near the newpark mall when I saw a newark cop to my right, tring to look at me through my tint. He pulled me over and ask me, Where is your front and rear license plate? Ohh officer, I took it off when I waxed the car the other day when it wasnt raining. He told me to put it back on when I have a minute. Never said anything about the tint. [/QUOT

That was a chill officer!

--------------------
02 GT Conv Sold
92 LX coup Sold
94 Gt Conv
Spurs, Saints, Dodgers! We win baby!!

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I heard in SoCal everyone has window tint.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

TR1
98COBRA.COM
Member # 296

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TR1  Ford pictures for TR1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:

Yep- but it does not have to be the same officer

24004. No person shall operate any vehicle or combination of vehicles after notice by a peace officer, as defined in Section 830.1 or subdivision (a) of Section 830.2 of the Penal Code, that the vehicle is in an unsafe condition or is not equipped as required by this code, except as may be necessary to return the vehicle or combination of vehicles to the residence or place of business of the owner or driver or to a garage, until the vehicle and its equipment have been made to conform with the requirements of this code. [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

[ December 17, 2010, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: TR1 ]

--------------------
Yep.

Posts: 1381 | From: Bay Area, CA. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com