Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » subwoofer audio question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: subwoofer audio question
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so my cousin has a shallow mount rockford p3. and a alpine 500 watt amp. the sub is a dual 4 ohm voice coil. i want to know if i can actually wire it down to 2 ohms so he can get the full 500 watts instead of the 300 watts at 4 ohms. ive seen the crutchfield stuff on how to do it, but i want to know if its possilbe with this sub...heres the specs

CEA-2031 Compliant
Woofer Quantity 1
Woofer Size 12"
Woofer Series Punch Stage 3 Shallow
Nominal Impedance (ea) 2-Ohm x 2 DVC
Power Handling 400 Watts RMS
800 Watts Max
System Configuration Sealed
Enclosure Material 1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
Speaker Connector Up To 12 AWG Binding Post
Shipping Weight 30.36 Lbs.
(13.8 Kg.)
Dimensions H 13.5" x W 27.37" x D 5.25-3.25"
(34.3cm x 69.5cm x 13.3cm-8.3cm)

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont do it youll over heat the amp blow fuses or even the amp [patriot]

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all depends on the specs of the amp.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
its the alpine MRP 500
heres the specs

General
Product Type Amplifier
Recommended Use Car
Width 10.6 in
Depth 9.5 in
Height 2.4 in
Audio System
Response Bandwidth 20 - 200 Hz
Signal-To-Noise Ratio 100 dBA
Continuous Power / Channel Qty 300 Watts x 1
Amplifier Output 1-channel
High Level Inputs Yes
Input Signal Voltage 0.2 - 4V
Crossover Active crossover
Crossover Slope 24 dB/octave
Low Pass Frequencies 50 - 200 Hz
Bass Boost Frequency 50 Hz
Bass Boost Gain 0 to +12dB
Amplifier Class Class D
Amplifier Output Details 300 Watt - 4 Ohm - 20 - 200 Hz - THD 1.0% - 14.4V DC - 1 channel(s) 500 Watt - 2 Ohm - 20 - 200 Hz - THD 1.0% - 14.4V DC - 1 channel(s)
Additional Features Gold plated connectors, thermal protection, subsonic filter, over current protection, over voltage protection, gain control
Connections
Connector Type 1 x speakers input 1 x audio line-in ( RCA phono x 2 ) Speakers output ( screw-type )
Universal Product Identifiers
Brand Alpine Electronics
Part Number MRP-M500
GTIN 00793276300904, 04958043510757, 00093276300905

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It shows your amp to be 2 ohm stable, so it should be fine. Run the positive from your amp to the positive on one coil and the negative from the amp to the negative of the other coil. Now run a wire from the vacant negative directly to the vacant positive on the other coil. You are now at 2 ohms.
Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :
96mysticman
¯
Member # 8327

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 96mysticman  Ford pictures for 96mysticman    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that amp is still only a 300 watt rms amp....1 channel amp and 300 watt continous rms per channel...... [Wink] [patriot] you need a bigger amp period....
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

is that going to put any unsafe load on the amp or the sub if i take it down to 2 ohms

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

90fox5.0
¯
Member # 9338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90fox5.0  Ford pictures for 90fox5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Amp will handle the power just make sure u get a circuit breaker just in case u blow a fuse u dont have to keep buying the it save u a lot of money

--------------------
1989 LX DROP
1997 Svt Cobra (SOLD)
2000 SS Camaro (SOLD)

Posts: 1827 | From: South sacramento | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

quote:
Originally posted by 90fox5.0:
Amp will handle the power just make sure u get a circuit breaker just in case u blow a fuse u dont have to keep buying the it save u a lot of money

the breaker is a good idea, its already got a fuse on the amp and one at the battery but a good idea none the less

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

90fox5.0
¯
Member # 9338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90fox5.0  Ford pictures for 90fox5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
quote:

the breaker is a good idea, its already got a fuse on the amp and one at the battery but a good idea none the less
Yes it is and saves u alot of money and will jump the breaker instead of blowen amp subs or fuses

--------------------
1989 LX DROP
1997 Svt Cobra (SOLD)
2000 SS Camaro (SOLD)

Posts: 1827 | From: South sacramento | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
quote:

Yes it is and saves u alot of money and will jump the breaker instead of blowen amp subs or fuses
Never used a breaker on an amp but you will need to have a fuse installed at the amp power cable as close to the battery lead as possible that matches the same amperage as the fuse for your amplifier.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Connect both positives on the sub together and both negatives together, then connect to the amp, that puts you at 2 ohms. That amp will take a 2 ohm load so don't worry about it, just make sure not to crank the gain all the way up or the signal will start clipping and you'll overheat the amp. The dude that told you to connect the sub the neg to the other positive terminal was wrong, you'll end up running it at 8 ohms. The only thing the fuse does is protect the power wire from burning if there's a short, it won't protect your amp or speaker. I'm running a breaker myself but will be switching to a fuse since they seem to be safer to run.
 -

[ December 11, 2010, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
CAStang
¯
Member # 9568

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CAStang  Ford pictures for CAStang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
Connect both positives on the sub together and both negatives together, then connect to the amp, that puts you at 2 ohms. That amp will take a 2 ohm load so don't worry about it, just make sure not to crank the gain all the way up or the signal will start clipping and you'll overheat the amp. The dude that told you to connect the sub the neg to the other positive terminal was wrong, you'll end up running it at 8 ohms. The only thing the fuse does is protect the power wire from burning if there's a short, it won't protect your amp or speaker. I'm running a breaker myself but will be switching to a fuse since they seem to be safer to run.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. But the parallel diagram you just provided will keep everything at 4 ohms. Running in series is what typically cuts the resistance in half. What this diagram shows is to 4 ohm coils doubled to 8 ohms by running parallel the cut in 2 by the 2 ohms the amp is providing which equates to a 4 ohm load. ??? If I'm wrong, I would appreciate an explanation with details. Thanks in advance.
 -

[ December 11, 2010, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: CAStang ]

Posts: 351 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Nov 2009  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com