Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Lets see your roll cages!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Lets see your roll cages!
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just want to see some pics of your roll cages. I'm thinking about getting one installed but trying to find the right one. I still want it to be street friendly with ease of getting in/out of the car, as well as still being able to seat people in the rear seats. Please post pics and let me know what brand/model you're using [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the masimum motorsports 6 point with swing out's and it fit's nice and still has room for passenger's or a car seat in the back [Big Grin] . No pic avail. at the moment but they have pic's on their website. Good quality & price! Also You can bolt it in if need be as long as the sub fram connector's don't get in the way!

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
I have the masimum motorsports 6 point with swing out's and it fit's nice and still has room for passenger's or a car seat in the back [Big Grin] . No pic avail. at the moment but they have pic's on their website. Good quality & price! Also You can bolt it in if need be as long as the sub fram connector's don't get in the way!

how do those swing outs work? Do you basically have to detach them everytime you get in/out of the car? Also, do they get in the way when sitting in the front seats?

--------------------

VanD
¯
Member # 10410

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for VanD  Ford pictures for VanD    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i'm interested in the same style, subscribing.
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

TTT...c'mon guys, I know some of you have roll cages/bars in your car [patriot]

--------------------

SF Coupe
¯
Member # 1810

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SF Coupe  Ford pictures for SF Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Forget about having people in the back. Even with a 4 point roll bar the main hoop and rear down bars make it impossible to sit in the back. Not to mention it's extremely dangerous to be surrounded by steel tubing in an accident while not restrained by a racing seat and racing harness. Have you ever seen crash test footage? The occupants move around a lot inside the car. Imagine all those body parts and heads slamming into steel tubing, not pretty. That goes for the driver as well. It's not the greatest idea to have a cage in a street car but it's your money. I'll post pics of my old 6pt Maier Racing roll bar later.

[ November 03, 2010, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: SF Coupe ]

04cobra408
¯
Member # 4025

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04cobra408  Ford pictures for 04cobra408    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
custom 6pt w/ removable swing outs.
Thanks to drew for getting the guy to build it for me. [patriot]

-
 -
 -

[ November 03, 2010, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: 04cobra408 ]

--------------------
Willie Guzman
RIP lil brother
11-23-12

Juan Moya
"The King Cobra"
11/16/81 - 8/20/05

Posts: 1945 | From: san jose ca | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:

how do those swing outs work? Do you basically have to detach them everytime you get in/out of the car? Also, do they get in the way when sitting in the front seats?
All You have to do is pull a cotter type pin and the bar pop's rite off, but the real advantage is when You are just cruising around or commuting to work You can just throw the swingout's into the trunk. No they don't really get in the way of anything in My car but some have to trim their armrest's. As mentioned before I know I would'nt sit in the back of My car!! But if Your friend's are crazy enough, or if You are just cruising down to the store or a local cruise it is possible.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Just want to see some pics of your roll cages. I'm thinking about getting one installed but trying to find the right one. I still want it to be street friendly with ease of getting in/out of the car, as well as still being able to seat people in the rear seats. Please post pics and let me know what brand/model you're using [patriot]

no cage unless it's made for appearance only and not safety will be able to have somebody sit in the back seats.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaW03SvT  Ford pictures for 1RaW03SvT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
quote:

no cage unless it's made for appearance only and not safety will be able to have somebody sit in the back seats.
10-4 bro there is no point in putting a cage in the car if its not acually going to go its job!! i mean threw the floor tied into the subframes and all!!! once agian!! "do it right the first time " or dont do it at all!! [Big Grin] [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Posts: 2159 | From: *SVTaDDicT* | Registered: May 2009  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

I agree, getting a full cage throughout the entire interior would be best, BUT I need the car to be streetable as well. I'm not trying to get the cage for looks, but I do plan to get into road racing and autox'ing and having a 4 or 6 point cage would be better than nothing in my opinion...

--------------------

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 4 pt. On my drop that I put in. It looks good and my rear seats are open. My car was stock but it was fun with all my suspension I had in it on twisties. I can't wait to finish it

I'll post pics tomorow

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1RaW03SvT  Ford pictures for 1RaW03SvT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I agree, getting a full cage throughout the entire interior would be best, BUT I need the car to be streetable as well. I'm not trying to get the cage for looks, but I do plan to get into road racing and autox'ing and having a 4 or 6 point cage would be better than nothing in my opinion...

im doing a 8 point cage plus a x brace in the rear and door swing outs.. its going to be a street/road race/show/ grocery getter haha!! but mine will have no back seat its a 2 seater now lol

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 - its griggs I'm pretty sure and it fits the mclaren perfect. I have a 6 point mm one in the Saleen and It fits pretty good also.

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

no tech has ever mentioned anything about my cars not having cages at any of the tracks I've been to.

I'm holding off for as long as I can, as I'm 6'5" and my head would be inside the main hoop of any commercial cage so I have to go with something custom.

[ November 05, 2010, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
quote:
[qb] I agree, getting a full cage throughout the entire interior would be best, BUT I need the car to be streetable as well. I'm not trying to get the cage for looks, but I do plan to get into road racing and autox'ing and having a 4 or 6 point cage would be better than nothing in my opinion...

no tech has ever mentioned anything about my cars not having cages at any of the tracks I've been to.
QB]

I'm not doing it to pass tech, I'm doing it for my own safety. I figured since i hope to get pretty involved in road racing/autox'ing, having some form of cage/bar is better than nothing.

--------------------

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

quote:
quote:
quote:
[qb] I agree, getting a full cage throughout the entire interior would be best, BUT I need the car to be streetable as well. I'm not trying to get the cage for looks, but I do plan to get into road racing and autox'ing and having a 4 or 6 point cage would be better than nothing in my opinion...

QB]

I'm not doing it to pass tech, I'm doing it for my own safety. I figured since i hope to get pretty involved in road racing/autox'ing, having some form of cage/bar is better than nothing.
if your doing it for SAFTY then i sure would not get a piece of shit usless bolt in cage if your going to do a cage at all no matter what point cage it is! weld it in no matter what and have it welded in THE TIGHT WAY if your thinking safty a 4 point bolt in is not the wat yo go thats fooorrr suuurrrreeee!!! [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 1RaW93SvT:
quote:
quote:
quote:

QB]

if your doing it for SAFTY then i sure would not get a piece of shit usless bolt in cage if your going to do a cage at all no matter what point cage it is! weld it in no matter what and have it welded in THE TIGHT WAY if your thinking safty a 4 point bolt in is not the wat yo go thats fooorrr suuurrrreeee!!! [patriot] [patriot] [patriot]
+1

if you're doing it for safety, you're losing the rear seats.

If you need the rear seats, you do not need a cage. I go pretty fast and don't think I need a cage in my street cars for several years, if I had a convertible than I'd want a cage but most groups require them...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

89Saleen310
¯
Member # 5397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89Saleen310  Ford pictures for 89Saleen310  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 - its griggs I'm pretty sure and it fits the mclaren perfect. I have a 6 point mm one in the Saleen and It fits pretty good also.

--------------------
89 Saleen #310
64 1/2 coupe
73 mach 1
73 vert
66 vert
65 vert
67 coupe
67 coupe
66 coupe

Posts: 1128 | From: Oakland Hills (montclair) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i see lots of roll bars in this thread 4pt an 6pt are roll bars. 8 pt + are cages.an for street car seeing some action on the track a 6pt will do an get tig weld in
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Griggs weld in roll cage that I installed myself:
 -

-

I chose the Griggs racing vert roll bar because it adds strength were it is needed the most: the B pillars. The bolt in roll bars that attach to the paper thin floor pan and no strength and could punch through in a roll over. [Eek!]

[ November 06, 2010, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
8stang8
¯
Member # 8082

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8stang8  Ford pictures for 8stang8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ian if your going to get a 6 point, get yourself a m.m. one you wont regret it.

They are very easy to install & have the options your looking for like removable swing-outs & the harness bar is also removable.

Very street friendly "roll bar". Very reasonable also.

6 point roll bar

--------------------
Fox body coupe: 347, TKO, 3.73s, 9.93 @ 143

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by 8stang8:
Ian if your going to get a 6 point, get yourself a m.m. one you wont regret it.

They are very easy to install & have the options your looking for like removable swing-outs & the harness bar is also removable.

Very street friendly "roll bar". Very reasonable also.

6 point roll bar

Yo rob....yup, if I do decide to get one that's the one I'll be getting. I'll need the swingout door bars and the removable cross bar that goes behind the front seats. I think that 6 point cage will serve it's purpose pretty well!

--------------------

1RaW03SvT
¯
Member # 9151

quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
Griggs weld in roll cage that I installed myself:
 -

-

I chose the Griggs racing vert roll bar because it adds strength were it is needed the most: the B pillars. The bolt in roll bars that attach to the paper thin floor pan and no strength and could punch through in a roll over. [Eek!]

thats why when you do a roll cage or roll bar you go threw the floor tied into the subframes that are reinforced better than what everyone else does!!! you will have no problems!! and ya your right bolt in cages to the paper thin floor boards is jank!!!! do it right the first time!!! [patriot]

--------------------
2003 SoNiC BlUe CoBrA
BUILT

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com