Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Diesel Experts/Owners

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Diesel Experts/Owners
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Looking to go get this 01 7.3L Turbo Diesel Excursion tomorrow, if they give me a good deal on my 96 Explorer
 -
It has 240K miles
What should i look for? What kind of gas mileage should i expect?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Look for any leaks underneath, and also in the valley of the motor on top of the intake, and around the high pressure oil pump. if you can get an oasis report, get one. (If you have the vin number try going to a ford dealership and seeing if they will look it up for you) also the 7.3s have issues with the valve cover gasket and the wiring harness that goes through it. When I had my 7.3 this got burned out and i ended up having to replace a few injectors in the process.

also the weak point in these trucks is definitely the tranny, and with that many miles, if it hasn't been rebuilt at least once count on doing it after you buy it. John woods automotive down in so-cal is the man to talk to for a rebuild on that. ( http://jwtt.com/ ) look for it to run you at least $3500...

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check for noises and clunks in the front suspension as you drive. A front end rebuild is not cheap! Engage 4x4 with the switch on the dash, and also manually lock the hubs. Look to see if there is a small inline trans filter up near the radiator and a yellow sticker on the trans pan. These are two signs that the trans was relpaced by Ford at some point. Ensure it shifts good, and that the trans fluid is not burnt. It looks pretty clean, and I wouldn't worry too much on the milage as long as it's priced fair and the maintenance was kept up.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys good info to know. That'll help me a lot. I figure it gets the same gas mileage as my Explorer, more room and i can tow with passengers.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Anything else?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:
Thanks guys good info to know. That'll help me a lot. I figure it gets the same gas mileage as my Explorer, more room and i can tow with passengers.

That is going to be half the gas mileage of your exploder.

--------------------
08 G37S
72 C10 Custom
R6

quote:
ain't no one tell me what to do. - NEIGHT

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by x42bnx:
quote:

Not what i've researched. 12-21 is the average depending on how you drive and i drive my explorer just to get better gas mileage so i get 18-20 every tank.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

What about smog? Will i have to smog this thing if i get it?

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Notch1320
Man Pedal
Member # 2647

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Notch1320  Ford pictures for Notch1320    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm not sure of the current Smog rules for CA.... I register both of mine out of state.
Posts: 2349 | From: Yuba City, CA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

yes ever 2 years
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:

yes ever 2 years
So what on a diesel is a smog part? or do they just smog it and whatever it comes up with is it.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2010586412.html
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

I looked at it, oil leaking out of the engine and trans, huge scratch on the passenger side and a hole in the back door. Interior was more worn out. i figured something was up since they didn't show the passenger side of the truck and the passenger seat.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by Yaterstang:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/2010586412.html

I'm looking for a 7.3L Diesel.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Egocentric
¯
Member # 9529

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Egocentric  Ford pictures for Egocentric    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

Not what i've researched. 12-21 is the average depending on how you drive and i drive my explorer just to get better gas mileage so i get 18-20 every tank.
You said gets gas mileage like your explorer. 12-21 isn't even close.

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

Posts: 1712 | From: NoOneTellMeWhatToDo-Neight | Registered: Oct 2009  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

You said gets gas mileage like your explorer. 12-21 isn't even close.

Currently, smog inspections are required for all vehicles except diesel powered vehicles manufactured prior to 1998 or with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVWR) of more than 14,000 lbs, electric, natural gas powered vehicles over 14,000 lbs, hybrids, motorcycles, trailers, or gasoline powered vehicles 1975 and older.

My Explorer i get 18-19, the 12-21 for the Excursion depends on what kind of driver you are. If you drive it like you stole it you'll get 12 if you drive it like i would, i'd get 21 but since i am in the mountains i'd most likely see 18-19

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If your worried about gas mileage get the new festiva, this is a mans SUV and needs as much gas as you can throw in there.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
If your worried about gas mileage get the new festiva, this is a mans SUV and needs as much gas as you can throw in there.

I'm not worried about gas. I want a vehicle that will tow anything and gets the same gas mileage i get now.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB: I'm not worried about gas. I want a vehicle that will tow anything and gets the same gas mileage i get now.
Does it have to be an SUV or can it be a pick-up truck? Sounds like you're looking for a 5.9L Cummins diesel. [Big Grin]

[ October 17, 2010, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: 98Snake ]

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB: I'm not worried about gas. I want a vehicle that will tow anything and gets the same gas mileage i get now.
Does it have to be an SUV or can it be a pick-up truck? Sounds like you're looking for a 5.9L Cummins diesel. [Big Grin]
I don't want a Dodge. I want a quality built truck. I'd take F250 or F350 Crew Cab 7.3L

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

NiftyWhiteFifty
¯
Member # 4320

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NiftyWhiteFifty  Ford pictures for NiftyWhiteFifty    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

I'm not worried about gas. I want a vehicle that will tow anything and gets the same gas mileage i get now.
21mpg on a 7.3 with an auto is pretty far fetched... I rarely saw above 16mpg in mine even when I drove like there was an egg under the go pedal. you should try to find a 6 speed 7.3 F250 dana, you can really squeeze some decent mileage out of them.

--------------------
'05 F150 4x4

RiddlerGT
Midnight King
Member # 113

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RiddlerGT  Ford pictures for RiddlerGT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not buy any thing with 240K miles! Diesel or not, everything else is going to wear out.
Posts: 2292 | From: San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2000  |  :
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Found another one, almost same price with 200K miles. Dark blue/silver.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

quote:
Originally posted by RiddlerGT:
I would not buy any thing with 240K miles! Diesel or not, everything else is going to wear out.

Yeah i realize this but if i can find one that looks like it was well taken care of, i think it'll last me a long time cause i take extra car with my vehicles. Everything i do is documented and i make sure its done right if i don't do the work myself.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com