Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Problems with your car that seems complex but is really easy fix.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Problems with your car that seems complex but is really easy fix.
Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone have any of these problems before?

Last weekend i took my Fastback to a car show, after the show after starting my Fastback up about 100 times for people it wouldn't start. Figured i burned out the starter, replaced it, didn't start, found the ignition wire was grounding, tore the entire dash part never found anything wrong, wired around the ignition wire, still won't start.
Problem = Bad battery ground on the body.
Anyone have something like this happen to them? I know several of my friends at work have had issues like this happen. Can't find problem and tear apart your car trying to fix it and then find out its something easy to fix.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Got a random misfire code and the car was vibrating at start up so I thought something was wrong with the motor. Light went away and never came back. Swapped coils numerous times, ohm'd the coils, drove to roseville to get some other coils, checked the plugs numerous times, gapped the plugs. Called and email'd shaun at, took it to a shop to get the electrical system checked but everything was fine. Get a call from Cal Rewire saying they found the problem....

BAD MOTOR MOUNT [Mad]

Good thing I didn't spend any money on new coils and such. Total cost of the fix was about $200 for new poly mounts and the cost to check the car. Oh and hours of wasted frustration for nothing. Gotta love the little battles you thought were gonna be wars [patriot]

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
theturbofrdguy
¯
Member # 10224

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for theturbofrdguy  Ford pictures for theturbofrdguy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Driving the SVO home, electric fan cuts out and almost overheats in traffic. Enough for steam to come out the overflow. Park the car let it cool down and traffic die down, and start it...bad miss at idle. Driving it home it had a nasty miss, and the RPM's would get stuck high. Also there was what i though bubbles in the coolant.

Well after many hours of checking compression tests, leak down tests, changing plugs, checking for vacuum leaks, cleaning all fan grounds ect...

The TPS came loose, tightened it up at the correct voltage and the car was fine..

Many wasted hours

--------------------
1985 SVO - T3/T4 .63AR turbo upgrade, Front Mount IC, CAI ect. SDS Standalone ECU and 55lb injectors soon + 28PSI of boost coming soon.

sic70stang
CAFords OG
Member # 4347

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sic70stang  Ford pictures for sic70stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fastback I had the same issue as you.

--------------------
The anti-crew
1987 rolling safety violation.

Posts: 6940 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my `89 coupe would break up and misfire and act like running into a bring wall whenever I would powershift at WOT or run it hard in the lower gears, but was fine at WOT in 4th and 5th gear.

found the constant +12v power lead on the starter (mini starter) was touching part of the chassis as the motor twisted over under heavy load causing a short [worship]

easy fix but I was completely stumped for a couple months.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Adam5.0
¯
Member # 6995

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Adam5.0  Ford pictures for Adam5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
at one time the only car I had was a mustang, then one day out of nowhere it had a dead cylinder only a few hundred miles on a rebuild. so I went and bought a cheap 1k beater car because I though the mustang would be out a while.

come to find out a rocker stud had backed off. I was too lazy at the time to pull the valve covers off before I bought another car. only took literally 30 min. to fix. I was pissed [Mad]

--------------------
want something old and japanese

Posts: 1609 | From: Brentwood | Registered: Aug 2006  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
After getting all my suspension stuff installed I started getting a clunking noise underneath the car. I lifted the car up several times to check for any loose components and nothing was ever found. I did strenuous research online on other mustang forums and I read it could have been a body panel in the trunk, loose wheel components, bad rear shocks, etc, etc...

I finally brought the car back to my installer and he said the exhaust flange was hitting the front part of my torque arm whenever I made a turn. We shaved a little off the flange to give some clearance it viola! All fixed!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

66_5.0
¯
Member # 9974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66_5.0  Ford pictures for 66_5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had an overheating problem once..changed the radiator 2x, the hoses, thermostat and kept doing it. Came out to be the radiator cap [Eek!]

--------------------
1966 Mustang

BruhBrahBrad
¯
Member # 9497

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruhBrahBrad  Ford pictures for BruhBrahBrad  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I remember I had messed with the timing on my first 5.0 and as I was dialing it in, it died on me...and I couldnt get it back.. So a week goes by and I cant figure out whats wrong, im gettin spark and the gauge says I have gas...I finally said hey Ima push the shrader valve...no gas comes out so Im like damn...I did Just paint the gauge needles red maybe its stuck...went and got some gas and the sumbitch fired right up
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Car will start then immediately die like it was out of gas test for spark check ground so towed car home checked coil checked computer changed fuel pump and had a wonderful gas bathcuz this happened after a full tank was added changed dizzy cap and rotor ended up being ignition module [Mad]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where do I start.. Lol. My old '92.used to shred blower belts ( I didn't know shot about blowers then) turns out I didn't read the part of the instuctuona about shimming the tensioner. 10 min fix [Smile]
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the same problem with my cougar... some days it would start others not... when you went to turn the motor over it would click once and all the lights would dim down... Checked all the wires and it ended up being a dead cell in the battery.
Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
drews50
CAFords OG
Member # 2670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drews50  Ford pictures for drews50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the droptop would not want to start when it was hot (in chico this happened a lot lol), it would turn over very slowly. thought it was a starter problem, bought a new one, same problem, heat wrapped the starter, kept happening. after many wasted hours a buddy asked me about my ground wires. turned out the trunk mounted battery had a faulty ground, so i bought a heavy gauge cable and installed it properly and it ran fine! such a PIA, i was having to leave it running at the gas station and having to plan my errands and shit so i wouldn't have to start it too many times!

--------------------
*shiftylx*

2013 Race Red 5.0 "Lucy"
1967 Lime Gold 289 coupe "Ethel"

CobraKilla
¯
Member # 1449

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobraKilla  Ford pictures for CobraKilla  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had a customer who couldn't get his Corvette started... He replaced the starter, coil, plugs, wires, etc etc...

All that it needed was the door-key to be cycled through the driver side, since he unlocked it from the inside and it killed power to the car (theft deterrent)

--------------------
62 Impala- LS2, Six-speed, 9", drop spindles, etc etc...

Posts: 599 | From: Nationwide | Registered: Jun 2002  |  :
Pure Stang
¯
Member # 7251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pure Stang  Ford pictures for Pure Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a mis fire that drove me crazy! I posted it on here and a few of you tried to help me out and got nothing from it. Found out my alternator is weak and the bat was no good. replaced the battery and the car moved like bat out of hell lol

--------------------
HEART BREAKER

R.I.P Willie Guzman (5ltrsvt) you will be missed brother.
04/24/87 - 11/23/2012

90 lx 347 RIP
86 gt
89 lx- next project

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:
Had an overheating problem once..changed the radiator 2x, the hoses, thermostat and kept doing it. Came out to be the radiator cap [Eek!]

LMAO

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :
94 fobra
¯
Member # 8867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94 fobra  Ford pictures for 94 fobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 66_5.0:

if you get a new radiator spend the five bucks to do the cap too [Razz]

--------------------
Im done with this ford vs chevy fight with "cafords" members. Aka big block 66 f100 but she's no longer:(

kennebellgt
¯
Member # 8395

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kennebellgt  Ford pictures for kennebellgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had a misfire/ bucking problem at wot, replaced the coil twice, replaced the air filter, replaced the dizzy, ran codes, checked for shorts, checked fuel pump, replaced tfi module, replaced cap, rotor and wires, did compression check, AND STILL NOTHING! drove me crazy for a few months, ended up being a clogged muffler [Mad]

--------------------
just trying to fight the SN-95 demons

PS3 NAME- kennebellgt

Posts: 830 | From: Sacramento | Registered: May 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com