Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need SLR camera suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need SLR camera suggestions
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm looking to pick up an SLR camera but dont know where to start looking. I really want one that isn't too large, but it has to have video. HD video would be a plus if the price is right. The type of pics I'll be taking are usual things: cars, kids, etc...

Please let me know what you guys suggest. [patriot]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone??? I've been looking at reviews for the canon t2i so any input on it is greatly appreciated [patriot]

--------------------

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Those are great good camera bodies. I would go to the store and see which one feels the best in your hands and which one you feel is the most comfortable.

Honestly the consumer Nikon and Canon DSLR are pretty much equal. The difference in quality will come down to camera lenses and most importantly the person behind the camera. Always pick which you feel the best in your hands and you'll put yourself in a better position to take quality shots.

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Hey Brian, thanks for the input. I've seen you post about the nikon d5000 as well but really dont know what the true difference would be with teh two cameras. The D5000 is a mini slr right? what exactly does that mean though LOL? I really just want a good camera with HD video, which I believe teh d5000 and T2i both have. Do you know if the d5000 can change lenses?

Also, I read that the d5000 doesn't have an autofocus motor. Does that mean that I'd have to manually focus my lense everytime I shoot? Thanks bro!

--------------------

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also wanted to add that the t2i has reasonable frame rates for 1080p and does fairly well in low light and decent in high iso. Since you wanted 1080p video (at least that's what I think you meant by HD) the T2i is your only option at the consumer level. You get a lot for your money with this camera body.

If you are satisfied with 720p video. The Nikon d90 and pentax k-x are more solidly built. From what I read the d90 has a better featureset than the T2I.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

I actually do not know much about the d5000. It is the entry level dslr for Nikon. As all entry level dslr they have more of a plastic feel and are not build as sturdy as the other lines. They call them mini slr because the are smaller than their other lines such as the d90 or d700. They are also more expensive and geared towards a different photographer. But for the consumer, there is nothing mini about the shots it will take.

The d5000 does not have an auto focus motor so you'll have to buy AF-S or AF-I lenses to have autofocus. But most of the newer lenses does have autofocus motors within the lens which Nikon has found to be quieter and faster. But all Nikon mount lenses can be interchanged. Just remember that only lenses with a built in motor with have autofocus if used on a d5000.

Remember that only the t2i does 1080p video. Also that the T2i is a 1.6x crop body and is best suited with the EF-S line lenses. You can use other canon mount lenses but it will be longer. The equivalent to a EF 24-70mm is a EF-S 17-55mm.

Also just to clarify. All Nikon bodies can use any Nikon mount lens. There are other companies like Sigma and Tamron that make lenses that are "nikon mount." For canon, all canon bodies can use any EF lens, Sigma or Tamron "canon mount" lens. Only the 1.6x crop bodies like the Rebels and the 40d, 50d, 60d (basically the consumer and proconsumer line) can use the EF-S line of lenses.

Nikon = any Nikon lens or "nikon mount" lens. d5000 will not have autofocus unless the lens has a built in autofocus motor

Canon = any Canon EF line lens or "canon mount" lens.
-Rebels or 20d-50d = all canon EF lens (but will be longer) and the EF-S line lenses which where made for the these camera bodies with the 1.6x crop.

[ August 02, 2010, 04:07 AM: Message edited by: essasin ]

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Thanks for the info Brian! I'll try to go to a shop and see both models in person. A few of my friends have nikons so since all the lenses are interchangeable that might be a good thing so I can borrow theirs lol. As far as accessories such as battery packs and lenses, are nikon and canon prices comparable or is one cheaper than the other? Any local shops that you recommend?

--------------------

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

The reason I went Canon is because all my buddies shot Canon and borrowed their gear. All the Nikon DSLR lenses can be interchanged. That is the beauty of Nikon. Just remember that if you get the d5000 you lose the autofocus unless the lens is a Nikon AF-S or AF-I or a Sigma/Tamron without a built in motor.

Nikon and Canon are relatively the same as far as lenses go and accessories go. They are priced competitively to each other.

If you are going to buy new. Buy from bhphoto.com. Nobody can touch their prices and customer support. There are forum boards to check out and buy used equipment and good prices. Good camera lenses tend to keep their value close to retail. Locally there is San Jose Camera and Video, Calumet Photo in SF, and Bear Photo in Palo Alto.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com