Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » looking for a newer powerstroke (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: looking for a newer powerstroke
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
looking for a f250 four door turbo diesel 2000-05 are in my price range. what you guys think 6.0 or 7.3.? what stuff to keep my eyes open for when looking? thanks

[ July 21, 2010, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: 2Coupes ]

--------------------
91Coupe-347,tremec tko, 373's
68Coupe-GT40heads,crane2031cam,victor jr,tremec3550,3.55's
R.I.P. silverlx

Posts: 201 | From: Healdsburg, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want reliable go early 03 and below 7.3s. Those are the best engines. The 6.0s are faster but if not reliable.. at all. They have lots of problems. The 6.4s are cool if you take the smog shit off.

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
Blu50Stang
CAFords OG
Member # 489

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blu50Stang  Ford pictures for Blu50Stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7.3L and don't look back

--------------------
Ross
'88 GT - 5.0&SF 4/04 | MM&FF 8/09 | MM&FF 79-93 Mustang Performance Cover 12/12
'17 GT350R

2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[patriot]

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I personally like the 6.0l just don't get an 03-04 that hasn't had the head gaskets replaced, but that's just me. Maybe it's cause I work on them all day long. Lol check out the link in my sig. We have tons of power strokes, low milage, lifted, harley edition. You name it. If intrested hit me up and o could possibly get you a deal since I referred ya.

--------------------
95 cobra blown 331 gr40 suspension
***NEED QUALITY WORK FOR HALF THE PRICE? I DO SIDE JOBS! PM FOR DETAILS***
www.norcalmotorcompany.com

Posts: 1434 | From: roseville | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7.3 for cheap and reliable. 6.4 for powerful and expensive. 6.0 for the middle ground between the two. [Big Grin]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Impact 5.0
¯
Member # 2805

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Impact 5.0  Ford pictures for Impact 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since we have been shopping also and asking the same question.. Talking to Drew and Shaun and few other Family friends this is what I have come up with..

If you get a 6.0 get one of the last years made and don't Heavily Mod it.. Maybe a full exhaust and a Bully Dog tuner.. this would be safe to still run a good tune but not crazy enough to blow a head gasket.

The new Twin Turbo kick ass but your looking at around $2500-$3000 in just upgrades to get it moving and that's not installed.

7.3.. If you can find one with low miles get it and swap out the turbo and have the tranny built.

Posts: 2173 | From: Tracy, CA | Registered: May 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stick to the 7.3 [patriot]
98Snake
¯
Member # 183

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98Snake  Ford pictures for 98Snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
I personally like the 6.0l just don't get an 03-04 that hasn't had the head gaskets replaced, but that's just me. Maybe it's cause I work on them all day long.

I've got an 07 6.0L w/ 50000 miles, only problem has been an HPOP at ~31000 miles. The fact that you work on them all day long could be a good or bad thing. Good because you see they're solid motors, or bad because they're always going down. Which is it? [Big Grin]

What are some of the more common issues you deal with regularly? And what would you recommend to minimize the problems?

Thanks, I've been wondering if I should keep it or trade it for another toy.

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who are looking at picking up diesel trucks - you may or may not know this already but CA started smogging 98 and newer diesels. Registration is a pretty penny too on the latest years.. so be prepared!

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:
Just wanted to give a heads up to those of you who are looking at picking up diesel trucks - you may or may not know this already but CA started smogging 98 and newer diesels. Registration is a pretty penny too on the latest years.. so be prepared!

Good point. Reg. on my 08 is 7 bills. [Roll Eyes]

Haven't had to smog yet.

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
Bent70
¯
Member # 9694

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bent70  Ford pictures for Bent70    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
7.3 is the most reliable and has more low-end torque. Just make sure there is oil in it and it'll run forever. [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]
Mine is an early 99 and all I have done wear wise is a built tranny and a 6.0 tranny cooler. Reg is still expessive though, mines just under $500 [Frown]

--------------------
some stangs and thangs

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Smog is a joke, you won't fail
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the smog they do on them afaik is the hook up the computer to check for codes, then do a quick throttle snap to check for black smoke, no smoke you pass.

seems like an easy test to get by with a greased palm as long as there's no codes being thrown IMO...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blown95svt  Ford pictures for blown95svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 98Snake:
quote:
Originally posted by blown95svt:
I personally like the 6.0l just don't get an 03-04 that hasn't had the head gaskets replaced, but that's just me. Maybe it's cause I work on them all day long.

I've got an 07 6.0L w/ 50000 miles, only problem has been an HPOP at ~31000 miles. The fact that you work on them all day long could be a good or bad thing. Good because you see they're solid motors, or bad because they're always going down. Which is it? [Big Grin]

What are some of the more common issues you deal with regularly? And what would you recommend to minimize the problems?

Thanks, I've been wondering if I should keep it or trade it for another toy.

well my work buys auction vehicles and we re-con and detail them and sell the to the big dealerships for there used inventory, so i get alot of abused superdutys that people will stack tuners and all sorts of goodies on and blow the head gaskets and they either trade them in or let it get repo'd. the main thing to stay on top of with these is maintenance . since the injectors are oil assisted if you neglect oil changes the spool valves will stick and cause injector miss, also low fuel fuel pressure will kill injectors quick. and there is the egr and oil cooler problems, but we have been installing the bullet proof cooler kits in all the jobs we do. all in all these are good trucks if you dont neglect them!

--------------------

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
the smog they do on them afaik is the hook up the computer to check for codes, then do a quick throttle snap to check for black smoke, no smoke you pass.

seems like an easy test to get by with a greased palm as long as there's no codes being thrown IMO...

there more to that an 2012 they we be 2 speed test.an from what i heard from the bar there going to make you smog ever year
93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would never get a 6.0 there crap they leak oil they blow up ive never had any good exp with em. as far as the 6.4 goes i dunno what you mean by it cost alot of money to get em to go? mines all stock and i pull a 16k fifth wheel with no freakin problem. if your talkin about 1/4 mile times then ok but my trucks bought for what its intended to do. im not sayin i wouldnt mind modding it but i would just mod it for efficiency better mpg. and by the way its a sequential turbo not a twin. but if i where you id wait get ur money right get an 2011 with the 6.7 there 750 foot pounds 390 hp single turbo beasts. also the main hold back on the 6.4 is the dpf on the exhuast it creates cleaner exhaust by cleaning it some how its hella restrictive and takes alot of the power away. also if you've ever seen the cold side intercooler pipe its like plastic and its egg shaped its like a freakin 3 inch tube almost smashed flat its restrictive too.
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

got approved for a loan, so im keepin my eyes open for a 2000+ 7.3L 4 door crew cab. if you guys know anyone sellin one ill be very interested. ill keep checking this post for more info. thanks [Big Grin]

[ July 23, 2010, 12:31 AM: Message edited by: 2Coupes ]

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2Coupes:
got approved for a loan, so im keepin my eyes open for a 2000+ 7.3L 4 door crew cab. if you guys know anyone sellin one ill be very interested. ill keep checking this post for more info. thanks [Big Grin]

Check out this site: http://www.truckworldusa.com/

His prices aren't cheap, and he wouldn't really negotiate with my friend. But all of the vehicles are usually straight, and run strong. Talk to Ira. He was of great help for my friend who bought his first truck there. They're out in San Rafael.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

Www.norcalmotorcompany.com

--------------------

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What is your price range might no someone who has one and do you want stock hight or lifted

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

20,000 but i just started looking. i may move up a little i do have a car im gonna sell.

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn, you didnt want to buy that badass lifted Harley Davidson Edition F250?
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

i didnt see it. but not looking for a harley truck

--------------------
R.I.P. silverlx

blown95svt
¯
Member # 8893

We have atleast 30 super dutys here. I'm acually doing head gaskets on one. Gonna be practicly new!

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com