Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Body work Q's: mystic paint and clear coat issues?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Body work Q's: mystic paint and clear coat issues?
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
SO I've seen a few cobras that have beenvery appealing to me but I'm still unsure what to get because it seems that Ford's paint work is crap! Why do Mystic cobras all seem to have clear coat issues? If I get some of the parts re-painted, does anyone know what cost will be?

Also, I'm no painter, so I was wondering if the paint is good but clear coat is peeling, can the part just be wet sanded and re-cleared or does the part need to be completely repainted and cleared? Thanks!

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When clear coat is pealing you have to sand it down to paint.

Keep in mind mystic paint is around 450$ a quart

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mystic paint is also very difficult to match.
Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jesse:

No its not

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
87droptop50 and asskickin88 are both right, ive called all around thge nation,mystic is not cheap,and also, you blend it like any other,
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:

No its not
why/how do you say? I would assume its hard because you'd have to match the way the original mystic color changes with the light [Confused]

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

19mystic96
¯
Member # 7553

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 19mystic96  Ford pictures for 19mystic96    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how many quarts do you need to do a whole car?

--------------------
1996 Mystic cobra #32

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:
quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:

No its not
why/how do you say? I would assume its hard because you'd have to match the way the original mystic color changes with the light [Confused]
I talked to several painters about it and anyone that has experience with it knows it's very easy to match. I purchased some Mystic paint off a guy who worked at a body shop and he gave me the test sheet they spray before shooting the car. I could take that paper, lay it anywhere on the car in any direction and it matched perfect.

The clear coat issues usually happen on the bumpers and side skirts, for some reason those places like to peel. If your referring to my old Mystic and the clear coat issues on the fender I think its from when the car was buffed it thinned it out too much so it started peeling.

[ June 01, 2010, 12:32 AM: Message edited by: asskickn88 ]

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mid 90s ford paint has issues . it has nothing to do with buffing .

mystic can be blended to match with no issues by an exprienced painter.

you need 4quarts(1gal) to paint a mustang and have a some left over . the main issue is getting the color since most paint is now water bourne and you have to travel to fesno or santa cruz for paint.

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87droptop50:
mid 90s ford paint has issues . it has nothing to do with buffing .

mystic can be blended to match with no issues by an exprienced painter.

you need 4quarts(1gal) to paint a mustang and have a some left over . the main issue is getting the color since most paint is now water bourne and you have to travel to fesno or santa cruz for paint.

there auto body stores that sell non waterbase paint, its just low voc

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com