Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » How do I bring back the paint on the barn find? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: How do I bring back the paint on the barn find?
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast92lxcoupe  Ford pictures for Fast92lxcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's up everyone. Encase you don't know yet, I recently found a chevelle in a barn. It's been sitting for 28 years. On top of the paint is 28 years of dust, bat shit, owel shit and a bunch of other shit from all kinds of animals that decided to use the car as a toilet over the years.

I'm going to start with a bath of course. But what do you guys think will bring back that paint? Now I know it won't come back to show quality condition but I just want to bring it back so it looks as clean as possible.
 -
 -
 -

[ May 25, 2010, 11:02 PM: Message edited by: Fast92lxcoupe ]

--------------------
93 LX Hatch W/Black Int 5 Speed(R.I.P)
92 LX Coupe W/Black Int 5 Speed (sold)
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

87droptop50
Go Giants!
Member # 7185

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87droptop50  Ford pictures for 87droptop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rubbing compound and a shit loadot elbow grease

--------------------
HighSpeed Motorsports
87Mustang Gt Conv kurgan tuned
03Harley F150 #5023
69El Camino SS396 -sold
99 f350 7.3 DRW

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats a damn good find bro. Looks like its pretty complete? Congrats...

Makes me wish I would've kept my old 71 Chevelle malibu 350, but it needed lots of work...

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

sj9ers
¯
Member # 9860

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sj9ers  Ford pictures for sj9ers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you probably want to start with one of these buffers http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html but i don't know what compounds you would need to use.

--------------------
1967 Mustang

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd wash it first [Wink] [Razz]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast92lxcoupe  Ford pictures for Fast92lxcoupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sj9ers:
you probably want to start with one of these buffers http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html but i don't know what compounds you would need to use.

Yea I'm gonna borrow my cousins Good buffer when I'm ready to buff it. I'll buy a shit load of compound at the good guys show coming up in a couple weeks.

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Fast92lxcoupe:
quote:
Originally posted by sj9ers:

Yea I'm gonna borrow my cousins Good buffer when I'm ready to buff it. I'll buy a shit load of compound at the good guys show coming up in a couple weeks.
don't buff it the paint may crack
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If its coming home on an open trailer?? i think id stop by a coin op wash and spray the heavy stuff off including the engine bay then when you get home a real good hand wash and go from there. I like soylent green for the engine(bay) personally. Good luck with the restore.
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a very good pressure wash and claybar to start.

any mequiars compound/polish works. i like solo. 1 product, 3 pads. turns out good

edit: buy some angel hair steel wool and use that on the windows while you are cleaning. just use that and water. gets them nice and flawless

[ May 26, 2010, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: t top freak ]

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
If its coming home on an open trailer?? i think id stop by a coin op wash and spray the heavy stuff off including the engine bay then when you get home a real good hand wash and go from there. I like soylent green for the engine(bay) personally. Good luck with the restore.

Great idea man. I'll do that for sure

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
....soylent green....

LMAO..."Soylent Green is people"...hahahahaha. Season'd 88 you must be a old focker to rememebr that... [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Razz]

[ May 26, 2010, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: N8 ]

89point.
¯
Member # 6078

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point.  Ford pictures for 89point.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya but stop at one of the touchless washes so that the big ass brushes don't rub all that mess into the paint.. Don't wanna make it worse. But a better idea would be just to bring it over to my house and sign the pink slip over and I'll wash, drive and own the car for u haha sick car man.
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.californiafords.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039778

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

krazy_svt
¯
Member # 9259

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazy_svt  Ford pictures for krazy_svt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just take it to classic car wash, let them do the dirty work. J/P nice find, good luck.
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
pressure wash,clay bar,and buff with 3m rubbing compund at a low speed, its laquer clear and very easy to burn off,keep a spray bottle with water near by and spray every so often to help cool down the paint.
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

Haha what if I take it to one of those hand Car wash places? That would be hilarious. The workers would definatly have their hands full. Anyway, I called a guy that specializes in barn finds. He told me he washes it thoroughly with soap and water. He then Lightly wet sands with 2000 grid. After wet sanding he said he uses a low speed buffer and several compounds to try and get the shine back.

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Post pictures of the car washed.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Step 1: BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
RAIN OR SHINE I STAY SIDEWAYS IN MY STANG!!!!!!!!!!!
1993 Coupe "Stock" "It's Just Exhaust"

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87coupe510:

You didnt even buy it yet?...wtf?
LETHL 03
¯
Member # 5401

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LETHL 03  Ford pictures for LETHL 03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

You didnt even buy it yet?...wtf?
[Confused]

--------------------
RIP Willie Guzman LQ9SN95

Hard Head Muscle
#HHM #babydickcobra #lethl03

Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

quote:

Wow really? [Eek!] How do you know i havent bought it yet? It's not at home yet. but it's definatly mine
87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87coupe510  Ford pictures for 87coupe510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cuz I know you! I know you didn't give that old bastard Money yet!!!! Buy It!!!! Pick it up! Slacker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

the more I look at it, it looks amazingly straight. How is the interior?
Fast92lxcoupe
¯
Member # 8221

The interior in great. All the windows were rolled up so there's no crap in there. Just 28 years of dust. And alex. As of today I am worth a thousand dollars less because that's how much I gave the guy.

--------------------
88 LX Hatch 40K miles
68 Chevelle LS1
98 S10 Bagged FBSS

87coupe510
¯
Member # 6150

Damn!!!!!!! Your Worthless Now!!!! Man I gotta physically se that Baby I person!!..... Get at me when you get it home

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com