Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Laptop deals

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Laptop deals
Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Over the weekend I accidently dumped water on my laptop. Needless to say, it is done. I was wondering if anyone knows of some good sites to purchase another? I do NOT want to spend a boat load considering all I do is browse the internet and watch videos. Thanks! [patriot]
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.slickdeals.net - check the hot deals forum.

if that's all you do with it, depending on what size screen you want I'd recommend the acer ferrari f-one, it's a 11.6" "netbook" sized laptop, weighs like 2lbs, has a dual core cpu, 4gb's ram, 250gb hdd, and ati dedicated video card. I got it for ~$600 at fry's a couple months back, I love it.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.dell.com

then go to

http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp (their coupons seemed to be down right now)

Then

Call Dell directly and try to haggle them and ask them to beat the price you came up with. I buy laptops through Dell very often and this method has always saved me from 500-1000 bucks on laptops. Sometimes they beat the price or give you hella free shit.

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You don't have a warranty for the one that got water on it?

I paid like an extra $250 at Best Buy, it covers cracks, water damage, drops, anything you can possibly think of for the next 2 years.

If something happens to my HP they will replace it no questions asked....

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RODRIGUEZ:
You don't have a warranty for the one that got water on it?

I paid like an extra $250 at Best Buy, it covers cracks, water damage, drops, anything you can possibly think of for the next 2 years.

If something happens to my HP they will replace it no questions asked....

He obviously does not have accidental coverage on it. 250 bucks for 2 year accidental coverage is a rip off and their geek squad/best buy warranty is among the worst in the industry.
DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In addition to slickdeals, there's techbargains.com

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
<a href="http://www.dell.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.dell.com</a>

then go to

http://www.notebookreview.com/dellCoupon.asp (their coupons seemed to be down right now)

Then

Call Dell directly and try to haggle them and ask them to beat the price you came up with. I buy laptops through Dell very often and this method has always saved me from 500-1000 bucks on laptops. Sometimes they beat the price or give you hella free shit.

I friggin HATE my Dell laptop. I refuse to buy another Dell product.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i shit on best buy.

check out newegg.com

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by DLo:

quote:
Originally posted by N8:

then go to

Then

Not sure if you bought one recently, but their stuff is on point these days and their support is top-notch. Wasn't always like that. But it is what I use for my agency.

The OP can check out tigerdirect too. I only buy from newegg when I am putting together my own rig.

t top freak
¯
Member # 6269

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for t top freak  Ford pictures for t top freak  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by N8:

then go to

Then

Not sure if you bought one recently, but their stuff is on point these days and their support is top-notch. Wasn't always like that. But it is what I use for my agency.

The OP can check out tigerdirect too. I only buy from newegg when I am putting together my own rig.

yeah thats what i do to, done 3 so far. their customer service was outstanding. the prices on comps and laptops arent too shabby either

--------------------
1994 cobra - sold!
1986 t top gt - parted out and sold!
on the hunt for another

Posts: 1023 | From: sacramento | Registered: Dec 2005  |  :
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
... I accidently dumped water on my laptop...

That sucks - I did the same thing a few weeks ago, but had the quick reflexes to pop the battery out immediately and unplug it before the water could soak in. Dried it out for 3 days, and I lucked out because it's fine now.
Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dell has really stepped up on their game from the past and their laptops are not cheaply made anymore. But the consumer line still gives people problems.

I have had experience with their latitude lines and they are built very well. The customer service is top notch for the business sector.

Newegg prices are not as competitive as they once where. So far the deals are with dell, tiger direct with bing cash back, frys combos and amazon for macs.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Speaking of which. I promised my team if we get a deal out of Tesla I will buy the team these...

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/laptops.aspx

So if you can wait a bit, I may be having several e1705's and tablet PC's for sale.

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hell if that's all ya do then get an ipad , heard that tripple crown got a deal on one [Big Grin]

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
AbominableSnoman...
¯
Member # 8290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AbominableSnoman...  Ford pictures for AbominableSnoman...    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just picked up an ASUS from Best Buy. read nothing but good stuff, great price, and pretty good mods, for web surfing.

supposedly ASUS been around for years before Alienware, and is just now trying to get into the laptop game.

i just gotta k60 check em out man. good sh*t!

--------------------
"I aint no crip, but i bleed blue..."

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Maybe I'll give them a try again if you say they've gotten better. 10 years ago I had a friend in college, bought a Dell laptop. Excellent customer service, he had one issue with it a little while after buying it and they came to his dorm room and repaired it on site. That machine was built like a tank.

In 05 I bought a laptop from them, and after reading on other peoples' reviews, found out they were definitely poorly made. Keys falling off, etc. Customer service blew too.

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

Maybe I'll give them a try again if you say they've gotten better. 10 years ago I had a friend in college, bought a Dell laptop. Excellent customer service, he had one issue with it a little while after buying it and they came to his dorm room and repaired it on site. That machine was built like a tank.

In 05 I bought a laptop from them, and after reading on other peoples' reviews, found out they were definitely poorly made. Keys falling off, etc. Customer service blew too.

I have purchased over 70 dell laptops in the last 5 years. There home and small business based laptops are flawless. I run the studio XPS series for most of my guys and they are great.

At home I run all Alienware and that stuff is badass as well.

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

I have purchased over 70 dell laptops in the last 5 years. There home and small business based laptops are flawless. I run the studio XPS series for most of my guys and they are great.

this ^^

I am cheap bastard when it comes to cars (to a certain degree..lol), but when it comes to computers and stuff Dell and A-ware is where it is at. Unless you want to get into building your own or wanna get into the stuff we use for our media farm BOXX systems.

[ May 25, 2010, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:

this ^^

I am cheap bastard when it comes to cars (to a certain degree..lol), but when it comes to computers and stuff Dell and A-ware is where it is at. Unless you want to get into building your own or wanna get into the stuff we use for our media farm BOXX systems.

I just picked up a maxed out Area 51 ALX and a 30" monitor for photo editing...its off the chain.

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

N8
¯
Member # 6048

The way technology is headed with the blurring of the line between tv, video games and computers a boss ass computer is essential IMO. I would go balls out on a Alienware hands down.
Gnari-Garage
CAFords OG
Member # 3164

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gnari-Garage  Ford pictures for Gnari-Garage    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you just want a basic laptop go to DELL.com. you can get a new laptop from about $400.00 (I got one for my kids nanny and It works great) I only spend $375.00 on it!

--------------------
2017 McLaren 570GT
2019 Audi S5
2017 Tundra 7" Lift, 37" Tires

Posts: 4017 | From: 916-sacramento | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com