Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » cafords forum suggestions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cafords forum suggestions
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
add the following subforum:

craigslist listings reference forum
media(pictures and videos) forum
political forum
posting whore forum

and change the title of ford sale section to ford sale reviews

and then maybe add another ford sale reviews section for frequent posters to not clutter the ford sale section.

[ May 05, 2010, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

84SVOrick
¯
Member # 9039

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84SVOrick  Ford pictures for 84SVOrick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I should have my own section

--------------------
Bay Area Stunnaz
RIP Jeannera "FOXY302"
10/29/87-10/9/10
1984 SVO 302 HCI a basic bitch
1986 GT FOXY302 stolen and totaled R.I.P.

Posts: 1928 | From: Vallejo CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Upgrade the forum software to vBulletin. This software sucks balls.

Also, is the password for the street racing forum really necessary?

[ May 05, 2010, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: wilit ]

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
And once again...the owners should sell the site to me. The offer still stands guys, wish at least someone would respond to me emails!

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:

Also, is the password for the street racing forum really necessary?

lmao no point when is says the password on there

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
And once again...the owners should sell the site to me. The offer still stands guys, wish at least someone would respond to me emails!

Mike

why not just create a more improved one with a slightly modified url.

cafordsV2.com would be appropriate.

this has to be the least moderated and most bare bones/primitive forum of all the local sites and ironically, its the busiest mainly due to being around first.
if the traffic was on other sites like ca-mustangs.com
westcoastmustangs.com or whatever else id go on those more. these sites tend to run a much better forum platform and have good enough moderating that things dont get ridiculous like we often see here.

is the sole reason why this site doesnt take advantage of moderating because of the lack of man power? and as far as upgrading the site, it seems like its been a recurring request and ppl have even offered help so why cant this happen?

[ May 05, 2010, 10:05 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have offered to help and someone offered hosting I even offered a license of vbulletin, and I know PHP and have written plugins for vbull. But I have since given my license to another guy here that is gonna get a forum crackin off.
1989lx5.0
¯
Member # 3699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1989lx5.0  Ford pictures for 1989lx5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:

Mike

this has to be the least moderated and most bare bones/primitive forum of all the local sites and ironically, its the busiest mainly due to being around first.
westcoastmustangs.com or whatever else id go on those more. these sites tend to run a much better forum platform and have good enough moderating that things dont get ridiculous like we often see here.

is the sole reason why this site doesnt take advantage of moderating because of the lack of man power? and as far as upgrading the site, it seems like its been a recurring request and ppl have even offered help so why cant this happen?

that's what i was thinking, i even bought www.californiafords.net domain and signed up with IPS inc to get the forum up, but i am new to this and its slow going lol, if any would like to help or have suggestion you would be more than welcome.

currently waiting for IPS,inc to activate my account so i can start building the forum. [patriot]

[ May 05, 2010, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: 1989lx5.0 ]

--------------------
1979 pace car

1985 svo

www.californiafords.com the better calfords

Posts: 552 | From: near fresno | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

does the owner even post on this site anymore? ud think the owner would have more of a presence like other sites to hear the members out(i.e ca-mustangs -> wikdvnm, westcoastmustangs ->black306, svtperformance -> sid97, cafords ->?????)

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
who's the owner?
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
+1 [patriot]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the internet is a free place, if you dont like how this site is being run, dont poke your head in

constructive criticism is ok, but this is borderline whining

I dont visit very often because I'm not too fond of the turn the site has made in the last few years, but its my choice to stay away

8+ year members that regualrly post are few and far between............no bulletin upgrade will fix that

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

its good to provide feedback to help improve the site and who says for a free site you're not entitled to stating your opinion, ask questions and provide suggestions. if the site can be improved with the help of its members great. if not, state what the limitations are and why it cant be done rather than have ppl wondering week to week why this site's shortcomings cant be addressed. it seems simple enough to fix based on what ppl have fed back.

call it what u want, borderline whining or what not.

as far as upgrading, its not so much about bringing back old members, its abuot making the site better for ppl who use it now. ppl move on with life, lose interests in hobbies, etc so its not surprising the old members arent here but who really cares?

quote:
Originally posted by 66 AC COBRA:
the internet is a free place, if you dont like how this site is being run, dont poke your head in

I dont visit very often because I'm not too fond of the turn the site has made in the last few years, but its my choice to stay away

8+ year members that regualrly post are few and far between............no bulletin upgrade will fix that

[ May 06, 2010, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
.........no bulletin upgrade will fix that

not true, vbulletin is hella robust and polices itself if setup right. Hell the reputation system alone will cut down on people getting ripped off. other than that I agree with you. Except for the whining too. People are trying to be part of the solution as well. So that doesnt qualify as whining. But everything else I agree with.

Oh yea my offer to buy this domain stands as well [Big Grin] , as well my offer to help improve things stand.

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the idea of someone creating a brand new site with a different domain is a fantastic idea. And, everyone with a member number greater than 5000 should leave here and go use the new one.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Maybe you don't visit often enough, but this forum has also been plauged with outages. I posted a thread asking what the deal was and if any help was needed to correct the problem. There ended up being 4 or 5 outages over the course of the thread. There are a couple of us that work in the tech world that can lend resources to make the forum more robust. Do you think any of the mods or the site owner said anything? Silence was the answer. JohnB sent a PM looking into the issue, but I assume never got a response back either.

Trust me, it's not whining. I'm offering my services to help out. I know N8 and several others have offered to help (for free to keep the site free) and no one responds. No one appears to be steering the ship.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1989lx5.0:
quote:
quote:

Mike

that's what i was thinking, i even bought <a href="http://www.californiafords.net" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.californiafords.net</a> domain and signed up with IPS inc to get the forum up, but i am new to this and its slow going lol, if any would like to help or have suggestion you would be more than welcome.

currently waiting for IPS,inc to activate my account so i can start building the forum. [patriot]

Once you get the domain ready to go, ill help you out. I will get us a hosting site, and use my Vbulletin license to get a basic forum setup.

Then we can have N8 or my web guy here get some stuff going on the site.

Lets get this shit done.

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

Alex, this sort of thing is posted periodically but I don't think anyone is listening, at least not seriously.

It is interesting that this is probably the most "anything goes" automotive hobby site in the entire country, yet there are more members here than other local car sites, at least any that I know of.

Thinking about this a bit further... There are ~10K members here. How many of those are active, non-duplicate user-names? I'd be very surprised if it were more than 1000-2000, maybe less. Of course we can debate what "active" means, but for the sake of arguement, lets say someone that posts at least once every few weeks, on average.

Now you take those 2000 members, and start banning the trouble-makers, and the numbers may really start dwindling. Regardless, even if this site has 500 active/productive members, it would be my selfish preference.

We also can't compare cafords to sites like corral or svtperformance with very high volumes and advertising dough coming in (which have very aggressive moderation).

Also, I don't know who the owner of this site is or what their objectives are, but if I were the owner, I want volume because volume leads to advertising (although I am not sure how happy advertisers would be to pay to advertise on a shit-talking drama-queen site like cafords? I could be wrong). Again, I am not taking any shots at any moderators here, just making some observations.

But I have to be 100% honest for both sides too. I do tend to come back here because the volume of users is higher than other local utomotive sites, which is important too. It's attractive to post a message and know you will have several replies within a few hrs.

If I am not mistaken, this site was moderated more heavily years ago and it led to some tensions at the cafords shows/cruises. But maybe someone more familiar with that than myself can shed more light on that...

[ May 06, 2010, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
90fox5.0
¯
Member # 9338

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90fox5.0  Ford pictures for 90fox5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say u should not bee able to bee in the ford sale section untell u hit a # of post because some ppl on this site just go on here just for that and only have like 80 post.

--------------------
1989 LX DROP
1997 Svt Cobra (SOLD)
2000 SS Camaro (SOLD)

Posts: 1827 | From: South sacramento | Registered: Jul 2009  |  :
Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90fox5.0:
i say u should not bee able to bee in the ford sale section untell u hit a # of post because some ppl on this site just go on here just for that and only have like 80 post.

Standard practice on many forums, and a great idea.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
quote:
Originally posted by 90fox5.0:

Standard practice on many forums, and a great idea.
But then we wouldn't have epic threads like 86 Maier's. FAGS and your chat rooms!

--------------------

1989lx5.0
¯
Member # 3699

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1989lx5.0  Ford pictures for 1989lx5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1989lx5.0:
quote:
quote:

Mike

that's what i was thinking, i even bought <a href="http://www.californiafords.net" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">www.californiafords.net</a> domain and signed up with IPS inc to get the forum up, but i am new to this and its slow going lol, if any would like to help or have suggestion you would be more than welcome.

open for bussiness

--------------------
1979 pace car

1985 svo

www.californiafords.com the better calfords

Posts: 552 | From: near fresno | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com