Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » need some marine audio advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need some marine audio advice
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ok so here the deal.. my buddy wants to put a stereo in his boat..it has an outboard motor and when you disconnect the battery cable the motor dies. so my question is does it have an alternator or how is the battery charged. just trying to get a heads up on this so we know how to wire everything with the amp and if wel have to do a second battery, what would be the best way to do so.....o and the setup is gunna be an amp a few 6x9s and maybe a 10

[ March 17, 2010, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: Ty ]

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

F1R/GT
¯
Member # 7404

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for F1R/GT  Ford pictures for F1R/GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call up a boat shop.

--------------------
sure officer it's stock....

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone else....

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like an alt that's ready to go out you shouldent need a extra batt for that small set up you could do everything on one amp 5 channel

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
ok so here the deal.. my buddy wants to put a stereo in his boat..it has an outboard motor and when you disconnect the battery cable the motor dies. so my question is does it have an alternator or how is the battery charged. just trying to get a heads up on this so we know how to wire everything with the amp and if wel have to do a second battery, what would be the best way to do so.....o and the setup is gunna be an amp a few 6x9s and maybe a 10

some charging system need the battery to complete the charging systems.but i would call a shop that works on boats for some input
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

quote:
Originally posted by 50Reasons:
Sounds like an alt that's ready to go out you shouldent need a extra batt for that small set up you could do everything on one amp 5 channel

thats pretty much what i had thought. we could get it done with a decent sized amp and not need another battery i just wanted to be extra sure, and that alternator will definetly have to get taken care of before hand

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
quote:

thats pretty much what i had thought. we could get it done with a decent sized amp and not need another battery i just wanted to be extra sure, and that alternator will definetly have to get taken care of before hand
what kind of engine in it
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

quote:
Originally posted by fasthatch:
quote:
Originally posted by Ty:
quote:

what kind of engine in it
at this point i have no idea other than its an outboard..the guy isnt real savy when it comes to stuff like that..he lives near a boat shop so im gunna have him take it there to get that issue worked out then onto the stereo

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
69 fastback project car

ScooterStang
¯
Member # 9077

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScooterStang  Ford pictures for ScooterStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont think it has an altinater i think it has a stater there for it will not run with no batt and be careful running to much power with sterio it will fuck it up unless u get a bigger stater [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
~ 89 GT
~ 07 GSXR 1000
~ 89 Toyota 4x4 w/7" lift

93coupessp
¯
Member # 8418

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93coupessp  Ford pictures for 93coupessp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Corrector it's a stator just like a motorcycle it will not operate without a 12 v source and it does not produce enough amps to support a high wattage stereo system it will cause premature failure of the stator. Usually the stator will only support enough amps for the engine electronics ignition fuel pump efi if it's an efi engine a couple guages things with little to no amperage draw

[ March 20, 2010, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: 40thgt ]

--------------------
89 gt project
09 f250 diesel 605hp
14 cts-v
13 harley fxdb 103ci

50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Use a second batt and a cap done

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com