Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » money order/cashier check?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: money order/cashier check?
5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i took one of them in as form of payment,deposited in my account and its pending as of now. my question is can they guy who gave it to me cancel it and im screwed or is it as good as cash? it was from wells fargo, i just never dealt with it
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from what I understand it can be tricky. There are some fakes, and I believe some ways to either take the funds from their acount and the Money order will not clear. I would stick to dealing strictly in cash. Last time I took a money order I made the guy take me to the bank and had them cash it on the spot.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If I'm not mistaking, I think if the check clears before he decides to cancel the check then you're good.

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Camara90:
I would stick to dealing strictly in cash. Last time I took a money order I made the guy take me to the bank and had them cash it on the spot.

Well said... [patriot]

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if it was from wells fargo you should have gone into your local branch and got cashed out. wow

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The entire point of a cashiers check is that you can't cancel it, it's as good as cash. Even if you lose it, you still could be SOL unless you jump through several hoops and put up a bond against the lost check. The payee would also have to sign a sworn statement under penalty of perjury that they did not receive the check. After all that, you'd have to wait months and months to get your money back.

The issuing bank should be able to verify the check before you accept it as payment. I've gone to the bank with people to cash a check when I've bought something, but I would never do business with someone if they demanded cash on an expensive item.

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To my understanding, MOney order and cashiers checks are certified funds. The hold on the check is just the bank making sure its real and not a fake.

Ive always thought in order to get a cashiers check or M/O, you had to pay upfront for the amount of the check you are trying to get...?

But to directly answer you, NO i dont think he can cancel the check.

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Camara90
1%
Member # 134

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camara90  Ford pictures for Camara90  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not a pro scammer, but look at craigslist. They send you e-mail telling you to avoid those types of payments. Cash money is where it is at. Meet in a public place, during the day. Banks are good places to meet because they have cameras outside and inside.

--------------------
92GT,stock short block,9:1 TFS 170's,perf rpm,custom cam,1 5/8 shorties,C4 trans.
std. 356hp, 350tq
11.85@111.9mph on motor.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are scams out there with cashiers checks but legit money orders still take a day or two for it to clear. Next time if you are going to do a non cash transaction only take a USPS money order. You can cash them at the post office instantly for no fees and ship out the item at the same time. They also hold records of canceled transactions and nobody has been able to counterfeit the embedded images on the USPS MO so you can verify it immediately. On top of that I would think a scammer would think twice about forging not just any money order but one from the US government.
Yaterstang
¯
Member # 7659

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yaterstang  Ford pictures for Yaterstang  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can cancel cashiers checks and money orders. Do not spend that money until it clears, double check with your bank. You always want to take cashiers checks to the maker to verify its real before depositing or cashing the check.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com