Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Get your Tax Return done for cheap !!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Get your Tax Return done for cheap !!
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am CTEC certified. I can do your tax return within a day for a really good price.
PM me your tax info like if your a single taxpayer or filing jointly, any dependents, if your a homeowner, etc. for a price quote.
I can also help you with the First Time Homebuyer Credit.

Thanks

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks for spamming this board motherfucker [Mad]

In my opinion, I believe that tax guys like your self are now dinosaurs as the "on line" tax software fucks up your business model by allowing the consumer to get taxes done at a cheaper price quickly and easily.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:

In my opinion, I believe that tax guys like your self are now dinosaurs as the "on line" tax software fucks up your business model by allowing the consumer to get taxes done at a cheaper price quickly and easily.

Very rude. I am not a dinasaur when it comes to taxes. I dont prepare taxes by pen and paper, I use software. I also e-file.
Need a price quote? [patriot]

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1

Tuned by ForceFed

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

LOL, classic response from the pissed off old man. credit and ppl finding job opportunites really piss this dude off.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

Damn man, did you get molested by a tax preparer once? [Roll Eyes]

I still have a tax person do my taxes because the software is not perfect. There are lots of "tricks" humans know that generic off the shelf software isn't going to tell you about.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
gq916
¯
Member # 8540

quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
quote:

Damn man, did you get molested by a tax preparer once? [Roll Eyes]

I still have a tax person do my taxes because the software is not perfect. There are lots of "tricks" humans know that generic off the shelf software isn't going to tell you about.

LOL

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1

Tuned by ForceFed

fr5.0
¯
Member # 8652

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for fr5.0  Ford pictures for fr5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

suck a d#$k, bicycle faggot!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
MAGA
TRUMP TRAIN!!!!

Posts: 2913 | From: sacramento | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGGyVklPHg

^^ CobraRacer

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
TAXWATCH
Sept. 14, 2008, 2:13 p.m. EDT · Recommend (2) · Post:
Some tax pros get it wrong
Limited study of paid preparers' returns finds many mistakes
View all TaxWatch ›
‹ Previous Column
Firms fume over new IRS reporting rule for credit...
Latest Column ›
The top tax breaks you can get without itemizing
STORYCOMMENTS SCREENER (38)
AlertEmailPrintShare By Andrea Coombes, MarketWatch
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- In a limited study of tax returns completed by unlicensed paid preparers, 17 out of 28 -- or 61% -- were prepared incorrectly, including one that showed the taxpayer owing $4,903 more than he really did, according to a study by the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, which provides independent oversight of IRS activities.

While most of the mistakes resulted in an underpayment of taxes or a too-big refund, sometimes it was the taxpayer, not the government, who would have paid for the mistake, according to the study in which TIGTA auditors posed as regular taxpayers and visited tax preparation offices in a single metropolitan area.

Six returns overstated the amount taxpayers owed by a total of $7,798, with the most glaring of these showing the $4,903 overpayment. Another return had a $1,043 overpayment, while the others were under $1,000. The returns prepared for the study were never filed; the auditors told the preparers they would file the returns themselves, but didn't.

Given the study's small sample size, the findings cannot be generalized to all paid preparers.

Other returns understated taxes owed and overstated refunds due, shorting the government by a total of $20,626. Taking the 17 returns together, all told the government would have been out $12,828 had the returns been filed. For the study, TIGTA auditors created five different taxpayer scenarios, including single, married filing jointly and head of household, with incomes ranging from $16,000 to $85,000.

Overall, only 11 of the 28 returns showed the correct amount for tax owed or refund due. In 2007, the IRS processed about 83 million individual income tax returns filed by paid preparers, according to the report.

The auditors went to tax preparers at 12 commercial chains and 16 small, independently owned businesses. The report does not name practitioners and does not say in which metro area the study was conducted. See the full report on TIGTA site (PDF).

Six returns were prepared with "willful or reckless" disregard for the tax rules while another 11 simply had mistakes. For instance, one of those six preparers claimed a charitable deduction on the return, even after the auditor posing as a taxpayer said he had made no charitable contributions that year. That same preparer also added a property-tax deduction for a car -- even though the taxpayer didn't say anything or offer any documentation verifying he was eligible for that deduction, according to the report.

Those six preparers filed 973 tax returns during the past tax season, according to the report. "We have referred matters that we encountered to the IRS so that any appropriate follow-up actions can be taken," the report said.

A focus on unlicensed preparers

The study focused on unlicensed and unenrolled preparers, specifically those who were not certified public accountants, enrolled agents or tax attorneys.

"Unenrolled and unlicensed preparers are not regulated. There have been ongoing concerns from Congress and other stakeholders about the lack of required training or demonstration of ability to apply tax law correctly for these unregulated tax return preparers," said J. Russell George, the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration, in an email message.

Attorneys and certified public accountants are regulated by state licensing agencies and associations such as the American Bar Association and the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Meanwhile, enrolled agents must pass an IRS test and are essentially approved by the IRS to practice.

There are an estimated 800,000 unenrolled and unlicensed tax preparers, said Paul Cinquemani, director of government relations with the National Association of Tax Professionals, which represents tax preparers both licensed and unlicensed.

The report said the IRS does not have a database of preparers and that the IRS "acknowledges that it does not know how many paid preparers exist and cannot determine the full extent of noncompliance and incompetence among practitioners."

"Anyone -- regardless of training, experience, skill or knowledge -- is allowed to prepare federal income tax returns for others for a fee," the report said. Only two states, California and Oregon, require these preparers to register with state agencies and meet continuing-education requirements, according to the report. Currently, proposed bills in the U.S. House and Senate aim to better regulate tax-return preparers.

Page 1Page 2
The report recommends that every tax preparer be assigned a single identification number to make it easier for the IRS to ascertain which preparers are causing the most errors. Currently, tax preparers can file taxes using a variety of different identifiers, including their own Social Security number, their practitioner tax ID number or their company's employer ID number. The IRS responded to TIGTA's recommendation by saying it will study the issue.

Ask about education

Given that taxpayers are ultimately responsible for the information filed on their return, it behooves consumers to be careful when hiring a paid preparer, whether licensed or not -- even licensed professionals may make mistakes.

Whether you go with a licensed or unlicensed preparer, it's important to assess whether there are any complaints against that person. That's easier to do when the tax preparer is licensed or registered with a state or other agency. But another option is checking your local Better Business Bureau. Also, find a practitioner who is a member in good standing of a trade or professional group.

And, be sure to ask about education before laying down your money. "I'd say, 'Give me some evidence you've had continuing education this year," said Cinquemani, of the NATP. "If they could produce nothing, or wouldn't tell me anything, I'd go down to the next one," he said.

For taxpayers seeking a preparer, NATP's Web site offers a "find a professional" tool. Cinquemani said complaints against members are investigated, and tax preparers who don't meet the association's standards are "dismissed automatically." See the site.

Also, try the National Association of Enrolled Agents. See the site.

And the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. See the site.

A spokesman for H&R Block said the company supports the study's recommendation to register tax preparers. "We strongly support tax professional certification," said Gene King, an H&R Block spokesman, adding that "the typical H&R Block client is seen by a preparer with eight-plus years experience and 450 hours of training." About 5% of the company's tax practitioners are Circular 230 certified, he said. Circular 230 generally refers to attorneys, certified public accountants and enrolled agents.

Jackson Hewitt said it, too, agrees with the report's recommendation, adding that it "recognizes that ongoing education of tax preparers is critical," said Kristen Sharkey, a spokeswoman. "Jackson Hewitt has implemented compliance systems and education programs that are designed to ensure high levels of competency and training," she said, adding that the company "has publicly stated to the IRS that they welcome more uniform standards and compliance efforts to all tax preparers." Jackson Hewitt said it employs both enrolled and unenrolled preparers, but does not disclose specific numbers.

Wide variation in fees charged

Consumers should also shop around on fees. The report found a range of fees charged for the same taxpayer scenario. For instance, auditors were charged five different amounts by five different preparers to complete a return for the same hypothetical taxpayer -- that of a divorced wage-earning parent with one child under 17 -- in the same metropolitan area.

The fees ranged from $74 to $271. Paying more did not guarantee a more accurate return: Three preparers who charged $74, $150 and $271, respectively, provided correct returns, while the others contained errors. One practitioner who charged $200 prepared a return that was "willfully or recklessly" prepared, according to the report.

Andrea Coombes is an assistant personal finance editor for MarketWatch, based in San Francisco.
Page 1Page 2
[Big Grin]

[ March 03, 2010, 11:14 AM: Message edited by: cobraracer46 ]

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would never trust my taxes to a software. I worked as a developer for one of those tax software companies after Uni. They are pretty flawed. But my tax situation is so complex I feel more comfortable with a human doing it. But I do layout it in HR blocks online tool to get a baseline.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxGGyVklPHg

^^ CobraRacer

LMAOOOOOOOO

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

DLo
¯
Member # 6133

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DLo  Ford pictures for DLo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where the hell were you when I was asking about taxes a few weeks ago.. [Mad]

--------------------
94 GT

Posts: 1876 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I bet you posted this thinkin "Man everyone is gonna think I am cool and be on my side".

Surprise, surprise...lol

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i got a tax question.

I worked for a company for a a year and a half. i got the w2 from 2008. but they closed mid 2009 and i still have not gotten my w2. and they are ignoring attempts to get a hold of them. where do i report them?

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by SheerSliver03:
i got a tax question.

I worked for a company for a a year and a half. i got the w2 from 2008. but they closed mid 2009 and i still have not gotten my w2. and they are ignoring attempts to get a hold of them. where do i report them?

Go to IRS.gov. I believe there is a form for this. And you may be able to request the info straight from them. I usually just call them rather than email or whatever. But for that I would not trust anyone but the direct source which is the IRS.

Just to add, you can also get a very close approximation from your final paycheck from them until you get that w2.

[ March 03, 2010, 01:18 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by SheerSliver03:
i got a tax question.

Go to IRS.gov. I believe there is a form for this. And you may be able to request the info straight from them. I usually just call them rather than email or whatever. But for that I would not trust anyone but the direct source which is the IRS.

Just to add, you can also get a very close approximation from your final paycheck from them until you get that w2.

yeah i found my last paycheck (or at least within a month of closing) but i need the employer number which i cant find from the year before

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

gq916
¯
Member # 8540

cobraracer46 , thanks for all the info. You basically judged a book by its cover. You dont know a single thing about me and your throwing all this nonsense out there.

BTW, I am licensed to do taxes in California by CTEC homechicken.

[ March 03, 2010, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: gq916 ]

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1

Tuned by ForceFed

444_C.I.D.
¯
Member # 2956

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 444_C.I.D.  Ford pictures for 444_C.I.D.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by fr5.0:
quote:

suck a d#$k, bicycle faggot!!!!!!!!!!
HAHA [Eek!]
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by gq916:
....homechicken.

lol he said "home chicken"...lmao. I still say that to people.
SFvert
Drama kids have no place here
Member # 3965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SFvert  Ford pictures for SFvert        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

[worship] [patriot]
Posts: 3706 | From: the city by the bay | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont disagree with cobraracer46 by saying that the online tax software can be a good replacement for the tax man in many cases and there would be good reason to use the software as many so called tax professionals use these types of software anyways to generate the tax forms. i prefer doing it on my own.
if u can read instructions and get familiar with some of the tax lingo and laws by visiting the irs website turbotax is real easy to use.
this is coming from someone who has an itemized return(mortgage, stock options, stocks, misc income, etc). if you're doing the standard deductions its even easier to do.
just reading the article above would make me worry about going to just any tax person to do ur taxes as ive heard similar horror stories...not saying that the OP is in the same category though.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com