Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » anyone here been or is in the reserves?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone here been or is in the reserves?
nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineteen90coupe  Ford pictures for nineteen90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am thinking of joining the navy reserves. i was trying to get some info on the internet. i also talked to a recruiter. i just wanted to get some other advice. i am 33 now. only have a h.s. diploma. no college. some trade school training.no kids.
basically just wanted to know what benefits you could get out of it.and your experiences while in it. training etc.
any help would be appreciated.thanks mike

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for nineteen90coupe  Ford pictures for nineteen90coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

68bullitt390
¯
Member # 9707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68bullitt390  Ford pictures for 68bullitt390  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi Mike, I have some advice i hope you will listen to. First off the reserves in my opinion is not the way to go. Sure they will give you 20k up front for a 4 year stretch but you get no benefits and your the first to go. Second and most importantly recruiters are salesman, they can lie straight to your face and never break a sweat, once your in thats it, no going back. I would 100% recommend the Air Froce, with your job picked out in writing and signed. An actual contract, thats the only way to not get fucked over. Im 34 hs grad, jr college grad, basicly no job history, but i have more buddies in the service that i could care to count, and they have given me some VERY good advice from their ACTUAL expiriance. Of coarse everyones story will vary. But my buddies up in the air couldent be happier! Hope this means anything----Shane

--------------------
Morte_prima_dishonre

RODRIGUEZ
¯
Member # 9104

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RODRIGUEZ  Ford pictures for RODRIGUEZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I also thought of doing this, do you really have to sign a minimum of 4 years?

20k but no benefits????

What about the Army or Marines?

Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ive also been thinking about joining the service..but id like to choose the right path without feeling played and regreting a decision

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
50Reasons
¯
Member # 6452

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50Reasons  Ford pictures for 50Reasons    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
They say your going to do four yrs but if you read the fine print they can call you back and they always do cuz the militAry is shorthanded you'll end up doing more like 6yrs and when you get out your back to square one in the job force but it will be easier to get one

--------------------
50Reasons Car Club President
Daniel/50Reasons
http://youtu.be/n_UkDg_F4MQ
https://youtu.be/066xRvxKy-g

Posts: 9483 | From: Sacramento Ca | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
Robb
¯
Member # 9444

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robb  Ford pictures for Robb    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm going to join the airforce soon. still trying to figure out what i want to do though.
Posts: 2467 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure everything they promise is in writing, no matter what they tell you, IT HAS TO BE IN WRITING! from the job you want, any rank advancements they promise, your bounus, whatever.

usally the contracts are 4yrs + 2yrs inactive (total 6yrs). what that means is that you will be drilling 1 weekend a month and then you have your Annual Training or AT (for the NAVY its called AT) which is 2 weeks a year, thats for the 4 years the 2 other years you will be basicly doing your civilian stuff and not have to drill...but within those two years they can call you back and activate you (ship your ass off).

being the full time military guy isn't my thing personaly, I got too much shit happening in my life besides the military, so I don't need to be stationed far as hell from the things that matter to me, thats just how I feel about being on active duty.

the reserves is kick back in my opinion

one last thing, shit ain't final until you swear in. so if you don't feel right about stuff just stop and think about it, if it ain't good for you just walk. your not obligated to anything unless you signed your contract and have swore in. remember join on your terms not your slimeball recruiter's terms. [patriot]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well from the research I did. Most people like to go in for the GI bill or what not. Do you plan on going back to school?

Also the pay is not that great. My buddy said that he only gets like ~200$ a week when he does it time.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Well from the research I did. Most people like to go in for the GI bill or what not. Do you plan on going back to school?

Also the pay is not that great. My buddy said that he only gets like ~200$ a week when he does it time.

if your going to join any branch of service just for the GI bill it will a little harder to use it if you choose to go active duty and try to balance part/full time school (just not enough hours in a day to do that. the pay for the reserves ain't shit no matter what rank you are, it ain't that bad if you get activated though. usally people who join the reserves are not doing it for the peanuts they pay you (its only one weekend a month, honestly how much do you think they are going to pay?

--------------------

nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

thanks everyone for your help. clears a few things up.one more question. how about going active in the army. my feeling is that your going straight to iraq. especially cause of my age and education. i was looking at casuality rates for the army and that alone kinda steered my away from it. i would like to go. but, thats a big gamble. any input?

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

68bullitt390
¯
Member # 9707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68bullitt390  Ford pictures for 68bullitt390  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Half my brothers are active Army, easy to get in, ut not that great of a choice to be honest. People above me gave a lot of good solid advice. When you go in, its all or nothin. Your putting your life on the line. I'm not tryin to steer you away, but just make sure your 100% commited to the plan. My cousin now has a permanent back injury will limp for the rest of his life and all he's gettin is 1k a month. Pretty brutal treatment from the Army. Seriously consider going into the airforce as a career. long term, sign for 6 years. Get some good training you will be somewhat ahead when you get out and hopefully land a decent job. Like i said all my buddies in the USAF are stoked, the other ones sittin in the desert in 110 degree weather, not so much... [Smile]

--------------------
Morte_prima_dishonre

nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

thanks shane for the advice. I will have to really consider this. So your family that is in the army now are kinda hating it. whats the morale from there. i only know a couple people that served in the army. but, they got out before or during the 1st year of the war.so i really have no input other than what you hear in the news or the recruiter which i know i can't trust 100%.

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

JohnCM
CAFords OG
Member # 1076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnCM  Ford pictures for JohnCM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
don't do air force, go coast guard!
air force is not what it seems... [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 3545 | From: Roseville | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

quote:
Originally posted by JohnCM:
don't do air force, go coast guard!
air force is not what it seems... [Roll Eyes]

Im not in the Coast Guard but I agree go Coast Guard.

--------------------

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've been in the Air Force for over 7 1/2 years and will be getting out this summer. I'm too am currently thinking about joining the reserves but will have to talk this over with my wife. The best advice that I can give you is do your research. I'm not going to say the AF is better than X military branch because everybody has their own preferences. I'm in no way, shape or form trying to discourage you but please be advised that the military isn't for everyone and it's important to remember that all you are is a quota to a recruiter however, this is your life and nobody can determine what is best for you other than yourself. Here's a link to a website I did a lot of reading on prior to joining the military in 2002, since and even today as we speak, the information on this site is accurate. I wish you the best of luck with your decision and hope that this helps...

-Zeke

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/theservices/Branches_of_the_US_Armed_Forces.htm

[ February 04, 2010, 01:01 AM: Message edited by: Zeke ]

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

nineteen90coupe
¯
Member # 8034

thanks zeke for the link.

--------------------
1990 lx coupe

Zeke34
¯
Member # 9432

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zeke34  Ford pictures for Zeke34    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by nineteen90coupe:
thanks zeke for the link.

No problem man... Good luck with everything...

--------------------
Chuck Norris is currently suing NBC, claiming that Law and Order are trademarked names for his left and right legs.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com