Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Ar15 in remm 6.8 spc

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Ar15 in remm 6.8 spc
87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I think it's time to finally start my ar15 build. I ran a across a ameetec lower receiver for about $80 plus ffl fees..but it's in the remm. 6.8 cartridge which I admit I don't know much about. I have read up on it and it seems it's a great round. Does anybody know or have experience with the 6.8 ..also things like ammo availibilty and price..

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Posts: 316 | From: redwood city, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 6.8spc is a great round. However it's expensive. Unless you reload or have deep pockets, I'd avoid it. Buy the lower and get a 7.62x39 upper. It's a great round and fairly accurate out of an AR. Plus at $200 for 1,000 rounds, you can't really beat that.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by wilit:
The 6.8spc is a great round. However it's expensive. Unless you reload or have deep pockets, I'd avoid it. Buy the lower and get a 7.62x39 upper. It's a great round and fairly accurate out of an AR. Plus at $200 for 1,000 rounds, you can't really beat that.

+1 on the 6.8 at that price I'd just go with a 458 socom and punch big holes in stuff/bad guys.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I didn't think there was a difference between the lowers. I thought a .223/5.56 lower is compatible with a .50cal upper, etc.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

87_Hatch
¯
Member # 6714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 87_Hatch  Ford pictures for 87_Hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yea I think that's how it is wildfyre the lower can feed almost any round it's the upper that matters just read it on wiki lol what do u guys think about ameetec lowers? That's wht this is and think I can get it for $120 papered And it's stripped..the .308 doesn't sound bad but how much do those uppers range from?

--------------------
Yeeeeeeaaaaa buuudddyyy

Posts: 316 | From: redwood city, CA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87_Hatch:
Yea I think that's how it is wildfyre the lower can feed almost any round it's the upper that matters just read it on wiki lol what do u guys think about ameetec lowers? That's wht this is and think I can get it for $120 papered And it's stripped..the .308 doesn't sound bad but how much do those uppers range from?

Going .308 there's a big price diff and other things come into play( I haven't built one yet )
I don't know about that brand personally..... Hop on calguns and check out the AR posts.

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah the lower doesn't matter its just the upper that matters what caliber it is.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87_Hatch:

Can't do a .308 in an AR-15 lower. You'd have to step up to an AR-10 lower which is a very similar system, but not many parts interchange.

As for quality of lowers, really the only ones to stay away from are Vulcan/Hesse. Otherwise, they're all pretty much forged in one of like 3 factories and then the raw forgings are sent to companies to machine themselves. 98% of them are Mil-spec. Besides, on an AR, the lower isn't a stressed member of the rifle. All of the pressure and stresses is in the upper.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
1990GT50
¯
Member # 2119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1990GT50  Ford pictures for 1990GT50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they make AR lowers for about any cartridge. Some lowers can accept a few different cartridge sizes and some can't- I believe its machining... not so sure what else it could be. My buddy has a 6.8 and I shot it a bunch until it made me broke...haha... very expenseve. Its also very accurate and fun to shoot. If you have money to shoot it then it was a great caliber choice. [Whoo Whooooo!]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com