Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » need tech help setting up XBOX for online

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: need tech help setting up XBOX for online
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok I just scored a Modern Warfare edition 360 for X mas. I got AT&T coming out this week to set up my wireless DSL in my comp room. My question is how do I get the signal to my entertainment center. I want to hook up not only my X box but also my Blue-ray player and my Direct TV box. I'm not looking on spending a lot of money either. Need "best bang for the buck" AT&T told me that their modem has 4 outputs. Am I better of hooking up the modem right in my entertainment center? The only problem is the closest phone jack is in the kitchen approx 15 feet away.

Thanks

[ January 03, 2010, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: snakebit95 ]

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hardwire it. Buy some cat5 cables and plug each device to the at&t modem. It's the cheapest and most reliable, but you have to hide the wires.

You can either make the cables yourself or go to monoprice.com where the cat5e cable is like 5 bucks for 20ft each. Buy 3 of them and you are good to go.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like there are 2 questions here.

1 being hooking your 360 to your components

2 being hooking your 360 to the internet or wireless.

For number 1. Just hook your hdmi cable from your 360 to your TV, then hook your TV (output) to your entertainment receiver (input), normally to something like Aux 1 or something using RCA or digital or what ever connection you have available.

For number 2. I would go grab a Xbox 360 wireless adapter and a wireless router (unless AT&T is supplying you with a router). Setup WEP or MAC Address filtering go into the 360 network settings and use the settings you use to setup router. I wouldnt do hard wire if your 360 is far from your router.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The bad part is the wireless adapter for the 360 is expensive. Since you have so many things to connect I'd run a hard wire over, put in the router and plug everything directly into it. I've got my wireless router right on top of one of my speakers, all the components, mycomputer, PS3, Xbox 360 and DirecTV DVR plugged directly in and all the other stuff in my house is running on WIFI.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cheapest place I've seen that wireless adapter was 50 bucks and that was YMMV deal at wal mart. At 20 feet it's short enough that the integrity is not compromised. In my opinion I would never use a wireless connection for any kind of gaming but it does work.

[ January 04, 2010, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've got a cat6 run to my entertainment center with a 5 port gigabit switch for all my goodies [Smile]

I tried a wireless bridge setup, which basically linked my entertainment center with my equipment closet that houses my router and server stuff, it was flaky as hell especially on xbox live. Speed wasn't an issue, but if the phone rang or somebody used the microwave, it was drop packats like crazy and everything would lag or crap out.

took me like an hour to run the ethernet cable, and it's all hidden around the baseboards, I had to run about 100'

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
SnakeBit
¯
Member # 8871

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SnakeBit  Ford pictures for SnakeBit    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nice, thanks everybody for your input. I just picked up a 5 port router and gonna run a cat5 to it. Can't wait to get online and start playing MW2. This game is sick! Any of you guys play? If so give me your gamer tag. I haven't played online since counter strike.

--------------------
91 Coupe full M/M suspension
Maier WideBody
331 356 RWHP 357 RWTQ
Tuned by TPS MotorSports

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GENERALfatSACKS add me
NEIGHT
¯
Member # 8741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NEIGHT  Ford pictures for NEIGHT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
GENERALfatSACKS add me

Have you accepted my friend request that I sent you like last month?

BUTTSKRATCHA

--------------------
-Savage Habits-
1992 Summer Edition
1986 Hatch- catfish killer
1964 Impala hard top

Posts: 18529 | From: EA$T $IDE REDWOOD CITY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  :
djlopez916
¯
Member # 8787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for djlopez916  Ford pictures for djlopez916  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't get into modern warefare but huge fan of halo

--------------------
89 GT VERT work in progress
05 v6 stang
97 Ford expedition

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com