Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Need opinions: Thinking about a new DD? (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Need opinions: Thinking about a new DD?
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I am thinking about getting a new daily driver, & want to see what some of your opinions are. The car has to be V8, RWD/AWD, & manual trans, in the $18K-$24k price range. Of course if I get 1 of these cars, it means the Mach will have to go bye bye, but I will still have the Notch, so I won't be stangless. Just need a car that is more practical, comfortable, & something I can take on long trips... I absolutely love my Mach, but I am sick of making payments on a car that I only drive 8 or so days a month, & its not very comfortable or practical. I have never thought about getting rid of the Mach until lately. Although keeping it would be the cheapest & easiest option, but I just feel I need a car I can hop in & drive without worries of scraping, bumpy rides, or worrying about putting too many miles on it....

Anyhow, here are the cars I am thinking of. I'm not going for the fastset car, since my Notch will end up being the track warrior, so keep in mind, I want a relatively fast car, but comfortable, roomy, & reliable...

04-05 Cadillac CTS V= 400hp LS6, T56 six spd. This 1 would probably be the best value, is cheaper maintanance wise, & would most likely be the fastest.

-

2004-2005 Audi S4 sedan=340hp DOHC 4.2L V8, AWD, 6 spd manual. I love the sleeper-ish looks, the interior is sexy, & the suspension is top notch. This would be the slowest though.

-

-

2000-2003 BMW M5=394hp DOHC 4.9L V8, 6 speed. This would be my favorite, but the maintanance & reliability scares me...

-

-

What do you guys think??? Keep the Mach???

If I do end up keeping the Mach 1, it will most likely get the IRS rear that I have been thinking about since I think this is the only thing that will make it a more enjoyable street cruiser....

Thoughts???

[ November 28, 2009, 11:07 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------
=91 Notch:12.31@110 **Under Construction**
=05 CTS-V: 418rwhp/393rwtq=13.01@111

http://www.djepikmusic.com

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Keep the Mach, all those cars suck.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for *EPIK*  Ford pictures for *EPIK*    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:

Suck??? Hmmmm, they might not look as mean as the Mach, but they are far superior in every category except drag racing.

Thanks for the honest opinion though....

--------------------

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
it's not a stick shift but I would take a e55 anyday.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by EPIK:
quote:
Originally posted by WildFire532FB:

Suck??? Hmmmm, they might not look as mean as the Mach, but they are far superior in every category except drag racing.

Thanks for the honest opinion though....

get the cts there sweet
93ReefBlue5.0
¯
Member # 5780

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93ReefBlue5.0  Ford pictures for 93ReefBlue5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
keep the mach and do an IRS swap. or get the cts-v and sell me the mach...lol
Posts: 1535 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
BULLITTMAN
¯
Member # 8468

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BULLITTMAN  Ford pictures for BULLITTMAN    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My first suggestion was going to be the new Taurus SHO, but you want a V-8...so what about the Pontiac G8, I'm sure you could find a great deal on one of those...

--------------------
R.I.P Little Bro Willie Guzman (5LTRSVT) 4/24/87 - 11/23/12
01 Bullitt #3102 Stroked and blown
Built and tuned by Shaun at AED
14 Fiesta ST

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd do the IRS swap..... All those cars you want, if something breaks on them.... They would cost even more to fix. Just my

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
out of those 3 cars, you're best bet would be the CTS-V....the Audi would be hard to find in that price range without having some high mileage on it and even normal maintenance would be scary as well as any repairs it may need.....

the Bimmer is in the same category as the Audi...unless you could possibly get an 00-01 but they were known to have some electrical issues and also if you had any repairs at all, price would be scary high....

I'd stick with the CTS-V, you can find a good deal on them between $18-21K and more than likely a nice clean, decently low mileage one

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

Thanks for the opinions fellas. I was lookin into the G8, but its very hard to find a 6 speed, plus they are still bank. All of those cars would be more expensive to fix than the Mach, but a CTS V just has a regulor ol' pushrod LSX, so it cant be that bad maintanance wise?

I love my Mach, & it would be hard to part with it since it is the stang that I have had the longest & I put A LOT into it... Who knows??? If I do, it will go back to almost 100% STOCK, & everything that will fit on the coupe will get transfered over....

You know I will most likely keep the Mach since I owe WAY TOO MUCH, & they aren't worth Sh#t anymore, but I have been thinking about this A LOT lately.

[ November 28, 2009, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
it's not a stick shift but I would take a e55 anyday.

e55 suck balls way too many problems
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
out of those 3 cars, you're best bet would be the CTS-V....the Audi would be hard to find in that price range without having some high mileage on it and even normal maintenance would be scary as well as any repairs it may need.....

the Bimmer is in the same category as the Audi...unless you could possibly get an 00-01 but they were known to have some electrical issues and also if you had any repairs at all, price would be scary high....

I'd stick with the CTS-V, you can find a good deal on them between $18-21K and more than likely a nice clean, decently low mileage one

You are right about the CTS V, I have been checking them out the last few days & I have seen some stupid deals... Granted, most werent in Cali, but it shows what type of deals you could find....

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=267027059&dealer_id=64498173&car_year=2004&rdm=1259469341564&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=CTS&make3=&systime=&make2=BMW &highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&engine=8%20Cylinder&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&m odel2=M5&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&sownerid=611493&first_record=26&make=CAD&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=pr iceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=95829&advanced=y&end_year=2005&pager.offset=25&transmission=Manual&doors=&max_price=&cardist=374&standar d=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=268725318&dealer_id=64609433&car_year=2004&rdm=1259469341564&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=CTS&make3=&systime=&make2=BMW &highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2000&engine=8%20Cylinder&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=500&marketZipError=false&m odel2=M5&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&sownerid=611493&first_record=26&make=CAD&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=pr iceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=95829&advanced=y&end_year=2005&pager.offset=25&transmission=Manual&doors=&max_price=&cardist=442&standar d=false

[ November 28, 2009, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey epik, ive gone through what your going through, you know that as anal as we are the new dd you get,youll be super protective over it too lol good luck i like the ctsv
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Would you consider a truck? Why not try to pickup a nice F250 diesel or something?

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slowback67:
I'd do the IRS swap..... All those cars you want, if something breaks on them.... They would cost even more to fix. Just my

and that's why they suck.

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by adower:
Would you consider a truck? Why not try to pickup a nice F250 diesel or something?

I want something fun to drive, & Im not really a 4X4 guy, but the 1 truck I have been thinking about is a 2 tone supercharged harley F150, although I DO NOT want a black car.

[ November 29, 2009, 12:04 AM: Message edited by: EPIK ]

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by 5.0-srt-4:
hey epik, ive gone through what your going through, you know that as anal as we are the new dd you get,youll be super protective over it too lol good luck i like the ctsv

I will definitely be anal about it. If I do get another car, it will be garaged & black or dark colored paint will NOT be an option.

--------------------

its50
¯
Member # 4069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for its50  Ford pictures for its50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i been thinking of getting rid of my mach 1 as well for something more roomy.i prolly wouldnt be getting another car unless it was old school muscle or pushrod anyways.im kinda board with my car cant really do much to it.the money i would spend to get it the way i would like it i could buy another car.good luck though..get the cad-o-lac.there is a guy around my way with a black one.it has long tubes and it is cammed up for sure.that thing sounds like a animal at the zoo that they havent fed in about a month.lol real nice car though
Posts: 940 | From: 510..fremont.. | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by its50:
i been thinking of getting rid of my mach 1 as well for something more roomy.i prolly wouldnt be getting another car unless it was old school muscle or pushrod anyways.im kinda board with my car cant really do much to it.the money i would spend to get it the way i would like it i could buy another car.good luck though..get the cad-o-lac.there is a guy around my way with a black one.it has long tubes and it is cammed up for sure.that thing sounds like a animal at the zoo that they havent fed in about a month.lol real nice car though

I'm not bored or tired of the Mach at all, the car still satisfies me in every way except ride comfort. I just feel like I need something more roomy & comfy. Since I would never finance a typical sedan or family car like a camry or accord, might as well get something that performs good too...

--------------------

Jessie P
¯
Member # 7073

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie P  Ford pictures for Jessie P    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Dustin for a V8 look into the SRT-8 chargers or 300c. You could usually find a nice low mileaged used one for around what your looking to spend. I have driven both and they are very comfortable. You being a tall guy they fit you just fine. Only down fall the the 300 however I don't think they come in manual. I know the Chargers do.

--------------------
Member of The Track Legion
Know Your Worth... Expect Nothing Less

Posts: 594 | From: Roseville, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
Originally posted by Jessie P:
Dustin for a V8 look into the SRT-8 chargers or 300c. You could usually find a nice low mileaged used one for around what your looking to spend. I have driven both and they are very comfortable. You being a tall guy they fit you just fine. Only down fall the the 300 however I don't think they come in manual. I know the Chargers do.

None of the SRT 8 sedans are available with a manual trans from what I have seen. Only the Challenger came with the 6 speed manual. Those cars are cool, but they are too common, I want something a bit more rare.

--------------------

Jessie P
¯
Member # 7073

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jessie P  Ford pictures for Jessie P    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's going to be hard to achieve bro. For what your looking to pay I'm sure you could find a used CTS-V. BMW's are nice but costly, along with Benz. Maybe try finding a Lexus? I hear those are pretty decent bang for the buck. They do make a manual in the Charger I drove them to the body shop a few times. Weird colors though one was like a purple and the other was like a bright baby blue lol. Colors I didn't care for.

--------------------

Jessie P
¯
Member # 7073

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/1486119178.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/1484695828.html

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
That's going to be hard to achieve bro. For what your looking to pay I'm sure you could find a used CTS-V. BMW's are nice but costly, along with Benz. Maybe try finding a Lexus? I hear those are pretty decent bang for the buck. They do make a manual in the Charger I drove them to the body shop a few times. Weird colors though one was like a purple and the other was like a bright baby blue lol. Colors I didn't care for.

I have seen CTS V's with under 65k going for $17k, & cars with under 30k going for $22k. CTS-V is one of the best bang for the buck cars on the market right now, as long as you don't plan on selling 1 a couple of years after buying because they aren't holding much value. I have researched the SRT 8 charger's, but can't find anything about a manual trans from the factory? I doubt I will buy an M5, but I have seen some 2000-2002's with 50k-75k going from $18k-$23k. An M5 would be bad@$$, but it would be too much of a risk. I haven't really heard much bad stuff about the Audi S4, but I don't know anyone who owns 1, just what I research on the net...

--------------------

*EPIK*
¯
Member # 7481

quote:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/1486119178.html
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/1484695828.html

M3's are nice, but they are 2 door's, & I don't do verts....

--------------------

Page: 1  2  3   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com