Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Delicacies/Dishes in your culture that would be considered Gross in Popular Culture (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Delicacies/Dishes in your culture that would be considered Gross in Popular Culture
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't remember what tv show it was but the guy goes around world eating various foods of the world. I was wondering what else is out there that you guys know first hand.

In filipino cuisine there is something called Balut and its basically fertilized, unhatched duck egg. But what people don't know is that the ones they eat on tv are old and people avoid them. Then there is something called Dinuguan which is essentially pork blood stew. It is garlicy, vinegarey, and a bit spicey. We tell the kids it's chocolate meat so they won't be grossed out by it.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
One of my best friends is philippino and he had me eating some cake like stuff but it was extra moist with cow blood I believe. I forgot the name of it.

In my Southern roots, chitlin, pig feet and gizzards is a delicacy. My wife whom is non-southern is grossed out by my chitlin sandwiches.

Blue92
¯
Member # 8789

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue92  Ford pictures for Blue92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bizarre Foods on the Food Network?
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
One of my best friends is philippino and he had me eating some cake like stuff but it was extra moist with cow blood I believe. I forgot the name of it.

In my Southern roots, chitlin, pig feet and gizzards is a delicacy. My wife whom is non-southern is grossed out by my chitlin sandwiches.

I think that is the pork blood stuff. I have a good friend from the south. He has an Aunt that is an excellent cook. She made a huge pot of Chitlin that I swear she took a whole day to cook and it was real good.

[ October 07, 2009, 04:12 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by Blue92:
Bizarre Foods on the Food Network?

I think that's the show. The guy is a real beast. He will eat everything and anything. No pun intended.
91GR40LX
¯
Member # 1329

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91GR40LX  Ford pictures for 91GR40LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by essasin:
In filipino cuisine there is something called Dinuguan which is essentially pork blood stew. It is garlicy, vinegarey, and a bit spicey. We tell the kids it's chocolate meat so they won't be grossed out by it.

I'm dying laughing right now!!!!! My aunts and cousins used to tell me that same shit....CHOCOLATE MEAT!!!!! After I found out it was blood and not chocolate, I didn't like it anymore. I started liking it again after I was in my mid 20's...hahahaha!!!
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by 91GR40LX:
quote:
In filipino cuisine there is something called Dinuguan which is essentially pork blood stew. It is garlicy, vinegarey, and a bit spicey. We tell the kids it's chocolate meat so they won't be grossed out by it.

I'm dying laughing right now!!!!! My aunts and cousins used to tell me that same shit....CHOCOLATE MEAT!!!!! After I found out it was blood and not chocolate, I didn't like it anymore. I started liking it again after I was in my mid 20's...hahahaha!!!
LOL you are not the only one that got tricked as a kid. I knew about it but I like to eat so I continued anyways.

[ October 07, 2009, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you access to the meat of the animal there is no reason to eat the ass and ears anymore. [Big Grin]

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth, I'm done with this thread lol [dance]
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91fox:
if you access to the meat of the animal there is no reason to eat the ass and ears anymore. [Big Grin]

lmao
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm Filipino, so here it goes:

sisig- made of pig's heart, lungs, other internal stuff

isaw-pig's or chicken's intestine, usually grilled

betamax(steet name)- chicken's blood, dried and then grilled.

adidas- chicken's foot, grilled

legua estopada- cow's tongue in, IIRC, coconut stew.

I have more, just ask, lol

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I can't remember what tv show it was but the guy goes around world eating various foods of the world. I was wondering what else is out there that you guys know first hand.

In filipino cuisine there is something called Balut and its basically fertilized, unhatched duck egg. But what people don't know is that the ones they eat on tv are old and people avoid them. Then there is something called Dinuguan which is essentially pork blood stew. It is garlicy, vinegarey, and a bit spicey. We tell the kids it's chocolate meat so they won't be grossed out by it.

HAHA. Before I even clicked on this thread I KNEW there was going to be some Filipino food bashing!

"Dinuguan" is BOMB! Every person I've brought to our family parties has tried it. They love it.. UNTIL.. I drop the hammer of truth on what it's made of.

Balut isn't just eaten in the PI though..

Aside from having some weird dishes, we have A LOT of food that IS good according to popular culture.

I'm sure EVERYONE has heard of "Lumpia", "Adobo", "Pancit", etc.. Heh.

In addition to Dinuguan, there are other, much more weird dishes like, "Soup Number Five".

Also, a salty shrimp paste, which I LOVE, "Bagoong".

If people aren't used to eating off a whole roast pig, then "Lechon" might be weird. However, I know A LOT of mexicans also eat "Lechon" (or whatever it's called in Spanish, might even be the same name), so it may or may not be THAT weird.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by At1Maverick69:
I'm Filipino, so here it goes:

sisig- made of pig's heart, lungs, other internal stuff

isaw-pig's or chicken's intestine, usually grilled

betamax(steet name)- chicken's blood, dried and then grilled.

adidas- chicken's foot, grilled

legua estopada- cow's tongue in, IIRC, coconut stew.

I have more, just ask, lol

Hey, my family had a restaurant over in San Leandro, called Manila Cafe. She sold it after being in business for about 2 years though.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
u forgot the other specialty..man's best friend, adobo style. seriously though, in the city i think the most exotic you get for foreigners would be the chocolate meat(especially nasty when you have all the organs), chicken feet, balut, one day old chicken(a deep fried chicken just born), kare-kare(peanut butter stew w/ beef lips, tendons, tripe, etc) and tuyo or however you spell it(basically sun dried salty ass fish you have for breakfast). ive seen in other provinces some fermented rice and fish that you end up cooking..

funny how the discussion around exotic/gross foods center around filipino food.

[ October 07, 2009, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: venomous99 ]

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Some of those dishes sound really familiar. The sisig is pretty good especially with some beer! I've never heard of the betamax or the adidas. Is something that is not usually cooked?

I can't eat the shrimp paste. I see people eat it with mangos and put it in dishes like "kari kari" (sp?) I can't take the color or texture but people eat it up like it's best thing on earth.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
u forgot the other specialty..man's best friend, adobo style. seriously though, in the city i think the most exotic you get for foreigners would be the chocolate meat(especially nasty when you have all the organs), chicken feet, balut, one day old chicken(a deep fried chicken just born), kare-kare(peanut butter stew w/ beef lips, tendons, tripe, etc) and tuyo or however you spell it(basically sun dried salty ass fish you have for breakfast). ive seen in other provinces some fermented rice and fish that you end up cooking..

Filipinos culture is based around the family and they do one thing the best and that is eat!
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
speaking of filipino food, if anyone actually likes it and eats out, u gotta try the ones in san bruno and southcity(ihaw ihaw, ongping, karilagan, patio..basically all the restaurants run by that same family)..

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:

"Kalderetang Aso" or, "dog stew" isn't really a mainstream thing. My family doesn't eat dog.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
Some of those dishes sound really familiar. The sisig is pretty good especially with some beer! I've never heard of the betamax or the adidas. Is something that is not usually cooked?

I can't eat the shrimp paste. I see people eat it with mangos and put it in dishes like "kari kari" (sp?) I can't take the color or texture but people eat it up like it's best thing on earth.

I can eat Bagoong by its self!! LOL

I'm weird though.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

bagoong w/ mango is the bomb. kambing is good too.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In Armenian culture, we don't really have any food that I can think of that people might think is gross, but we put together some stuff in ways that lots of people think is weird. Like pickled turnips that are radioactively bright purple.

After Thanksgiving and xmas, you take the turkey carcass and just boil it for a long time, then pick off the soft leftover meat and it's like a turkey oatmeal - fuckin awesome.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

I know what you mean. Armenian food is really good, likewise in popular American culture there really is not anything out of the ordinary. The only thing I can think of is eating nearly raw beef. I've seen someone eat a wagu filet and had it cooked (or not cooked you can say) black and blue.

I asked how that was cooked and it is a sear on the outside and cold in the middle. It looked purple to me. I'll eat a rare steak but that is way undercooked for me.

[ October 07, 2009, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: essasin ]

SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Vagina?

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

essasin
¯
Member # 4741

I don't know how you guys eat the bagoong! Everyone loves the stuff and the smell! But, I'm the minority because every filipino scarfs it down.
Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SHOalex:
Vagina?

You eat the cock

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com