Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Car audio problem/question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car audio problem/question
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I turned my bass up high and a minute later the amp just shut off. When I popped my hood, the power cable fuse block from the car battery was melted.

Any suggestions as to the cause? I installed a new block and fuse, everything functions fine, disconnected it until I figure out the cause.

Clarion VRX775 head unit
Rockford Fosgate amp (don't remember the specs)
10" Kicker CVR??
I don't remember the power wire gauge but know that it's appropriate for the amp.

I have a simple set up, and rarely use my subwoofer. Most of the time it's turned down, controlling it from my head unit.

sac 5.0
¯
Member # 2980

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sac 5.0  Ford pictures for sac 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
was the connections all tight,from the battery to the fuse block?did this happen awhile ago or did this happen again with a different amp?
Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you probably put too much current thru the wire, step up a size or 2 and you should be fine

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if you don't know what size wire it is then how do you know it's okay for the amp? just a question but that's my guess from what i can't tell.

The wire shouldn't melt before the fuse blows. that's an insurance scam in the making [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
if you don't know what size wire it is then how do you know it's okay for the amp? just a question but that's my guess from what i can't tell.

The wire shouldn't melt before the fuse blows. that's an insurance scam in the making [Whoo Whooooo!]

Exactly sounds like the wire isnt ment for that amp and you had it up to high thus melting the wire and shorting out your amp...

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sac 5.0:
was the connections all tight,from the battery to the fuse block?did this happen awhile ago or did this happen again with a different amp?

I just had a blown fuse several months ago, it's the same amp.
CompSVT
¯
Member # 7392

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CompSVT  Ford pictures for CompSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size wire are you running?
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

quote:
Originally posted by liftedF150:
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:

Exactly sounds like the wire isnt ment for that amp and you had it up to high thus melting the wire and shorting out your amp...
My amp did not short out, nor did the wire melt it was the fuse block. I installed a new fuse block and everything works just fine.

I don't recall what gauge wire the power wire is, because the shop installed everything the amp, head unit, and sub. They recommended and installed all the wiring kits, accessories, etc.

I will take my car back when they open on Monday, I'm just trying to see if it's an easy fix I want my music back to normal [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com