Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » can any cops answer this question for me

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: can any cops answer this question for me
510cpskid
¯
Member # 8277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 510cpskid  Ford pictures for 510cpskid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
one of my friends wants to be a cop and hes is trying to figure out how long you have to stop smoking for to become a cop. I know that chp is 3 years, is it the same to be a regular cop?

--------------------
old set up
92 coupe 100 wet nx 410's mickey t's
new set up
?

sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
More to it than just that. Any other hard dope and he can forget it. Arrests, driving record, credit history, job history, life experience, etc, are all taken into account. Just weed? I'd say 3-5 years but everything else should be spotless. To be honest and speaking from my own experience sitting on oral panels, I'd take the guy who addmitted to weed with everything else clean over the guy who has not used any dope and is all kinds of screwed up ( bad credit, fired from jobs, hasn't done anything with his life)

There is a lot to look at when hiring. Outof 20 people who make it to the oral portion of the testing process, I'd say maybe you get 5-7 that pass. Out of those, you may get 1-2 potential hires. Everyone else is weeded out in backgrounds. Very competitive these day too. More so than 5 years ago.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree 100% with the above stated. In my oral I was asked in the last 3 years. Backgrounds is what gets most people and chp use voice stress analysis. If you have nothing to hide chp is where the money is and they are exempt from furlought. There academy pay is 400 dollars more than my corrections pay after 2 and half years in corrections. Just a forewarning, these days prior military and a college degree is priority over the random street guy.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill give you this example: i was dropped from the application process because I quit a job when i was 16 and didnt give 2 weeks notice...

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

5.t0es
¯
Member # 5864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.t0es  Ford pictures for 5.t0es    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SheerSliver03:
ill give you this example: i was dropped from the application process because I quit a job when i was 16 and didnt give 2 weeks notice...

[Roll Eyes]
adower
¯
Member # 5955

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for adower  Ford pictures for adower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you go on the CHP website it tells you. Weed is like 3-5 years and depends on frequency. Hard stuff is like 10 years.

--------------------
98 Cobra
Griggs
S Trim
HRE

50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some ex-drug users would probably make good cops,know the ins and outs better than someone whos never lived it.Just my .02$

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
IvanFive0
built for twisties
Member # 5574

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for IvanFive0  Ford pictures for IvanFive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50DADDY:
Some ex-drug users would probably make good cops,know the ins and outs better than someone whos never lived it.Just my .02$

What makes you say that?

--------------------
2012 Coyote - Daily
91 Coupe - HCI turbo
88 Mclaren - Griggs, T56, S trim, B50
87 Coupe

Posts: 883 | From: At the apex, passing you! | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
50DADDY
CAFords OG
Member # 3076

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50DADDY  Ford pictures for 50DADDY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Not talking about spun out,burned out crackheads.Im talking about truly reformed people who were once involved in the wrong side of things.They know the way these things work,not what some teacher taught them about it or what they learned in the academy.But what they learned from real experience.Some things can only be learned from the inside.

--------------------
"Im not stupid,i just act that way so i dont make you dummies uncomfortable."

"Old age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill."

Posts: 4827 | From: Suckramento | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Not talking about spun out,burned out crackheads.Im talking about truly reformed people who were once involved in the wrong side of things.They know the way these things work,not what some teacher taught them about it or what they learned in the academy.But what they learned from real experience.Some things can only be learned from the inside.

You be surprised what you learn on the job. Don't need to live the life to know the life.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

Eddie510-
CAFords OG
Member # 2354

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eddie510-  Ford pictures for Eddie510-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by sharkattack:
quote:

You be surprised what you learn on the job. Don't need to live the life to know the life.
+1.. My best friend was an explorer for fremont when he was 15 and did it for about 4 years, Got his degree,Hes very dedicated to it but fails because of his credit. Thats the only thing he says he can think of thats stopping him. So soon he will fix it. People think its easy. Its not for everyone

--------------------
"I like to be more politicaly correct than what I really believe so I can get more frinds here on CaFords"-Cummings "TIPICKLE"

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com