Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » what are the odds .... Seriously !!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what are the odds .... Seriously !!
blk01snake
¯
Member # 8848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blk01snake  Ford pictures for blk01snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So i was in the Marine Corp just got out not too long ago, i make a resume iam currently working and have a good job, but decided to make a resume just for the hell of it now i was not a MP i did train and work directly with them. I put down on my resume i was a MP just to give me a little edge now ordinarily no one could ever verify this my records are sealed under the freedon of information act other than my discharge type, the company that calls me in for interview and i go to it i walk into the office and this gentlemen stands up and says good morning Col. Harper this guy is still actve duty and can pull all my records if he wants and is going to iam thinking wow i just made myself look like ass. anyways long story i know but just had to share that this sucks! job pays over 24hr........I DID NOT LIE FOR EVRYONE WHO RESONDED I AM A MARINE I SERVED WITH THE MILITARY POLICE AND TRAINED AS ONE I ONLY EMBELISHED MINOR DIFFERENCES.

[ August 12, 2009, 12:37 AM: Message edited by: blk01snake ]

Posts: 164 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
LX347hatch
¯
Member # 8668

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LX347hatch  Ford pictures for LX347hatch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lmao!! That's hilarious..
Posts: 1416 | From: El Sobrante | Registered: Sep 2008  |  :
2BlueGeeTees
¯
Member # 4702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2BlueGeeTees  Ford pictures for 2BlueGeeTees    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn dude that is some off the wall shit. I would just explain yourself in the sence that a civilian may not have understood your job title and it was easier to explain military police. This guy is a human being before he is a marine. Good luck with the job and [patriot] for being a US Marine. Mad respect and appreciation.
Posts: 2316 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I got roasted like that once. I lied about something on my education. Come to find out the dude interviewing me was married to the professor that taught a certain class I cited. And he was like "my wife stopped teaching that class over 10 years ago"....very embarrassing. I no longer lie on my resume.
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blk01snake:
So i was in the Marine Corp just got out not too long ago, i make a resume iam currently working and have a good job, but decided to make a resume just for the hell of it now i was not a MP i did train and work directly with them. I put down on my resume i was a MP just to give me a little edge now ordinarily no one could ever verify this my records are sealed under the freedon of information act other than my discharge type, the company that calls me in for interview and i go to it i walk into the office and this gentlemen stands up and says good morning Col. Harper this guy is still actve duty and can pull all my records if he wants and is going to iam thinking wow i just made myself look like ass. anyways long story i know but just had to share that this sucks! job pays over 24hr.

Your records are not sealed. If you claim military service an employer can request a copy of your DD-214. Lists your MOS right on there.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

blk01snake
¯
Member # 8848

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for blk01snake  Ford pictures for blk01snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah i know they can but most civilians dont know that and besides when they request one its usualy a deleted copy that they get back which only has the type of discharge that you got and how long you were in for
Posts: 164 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jan 2009  |  :
East Bay 50
¯
Member # 8081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for East Bay 50  Ford pictures for East Bay 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
I got roasted like that once. I lied about something on my education. Come to find out the dude interviewing me was married to the professor that taught a certain class I cited. And he was like "my wife stopped teaching that class over 10 years ago"....very embarrassing. I no longer lie on my resume.

LOL!

--------------------
Kurgan tuned stroked and blown 347 foxbody. boost nukka!

Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
WOW!
Even though this happened, don't get discourged. Sometimes you still have to "cook up" your resume a lil' bit. Everyone has to lie a little to qualify for certain jobs. Just a part of the application and resume game.

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Captain Obvious
¯
Member # 7842

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Captain Obvious  Ford pictures for Captain Obvious    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Rigo5.0:
WOW!
Even though this happened, don't get discourged. Sometimes you still have to "cook up" your resume a lil' bit. Everyone has to lie a little to qualify for certain jobs. Just a part of the application and resume game.

exactly, its just part of the resume game. everybody includes extra things on there resume to better sell their selves. N8 that dude that called you out was just a dick head, there is no reason to bust someone out in the middle of an interview.

--------------------
It's NOT illegal. It's just frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91fox:
quote:
WOW!

exactly, its just part of the resume game. everybody includes extra things on there resume to better sell their selves. N8 that dude that called you out was just a dick head, there is no reason to bust someone out in the middle of an interview.
yeah its ok to lie on yor resume.......

are you stupid, background checks are so common place today it would be STUPID to lie on your resume. Trumping up a job title with a euphemism is different than bold facing lying.

I worked beside PhD's for 6 years, in the field we worked in I was much smarter than they were, came up with the ideas and got all the research completed, and made them a bunch of money [Embarrassed] . At the end of the day my resume says MS not PhD. Until i go back to school and get that piece of paper I'm not a PhD and dont need to "try" and fool anybody.

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well we have to draw a line.
You cannot BullSh** about education b/c you'll need to show transcripts.
Anything else is fair game in my opinon. Of course your risking possibly looking like a fool but that's at each person's discretion.
ex.
Job posting is looking for someone with 5 years mgmt experience, you actually have 4, whats wrong with lying a little and saying 5? No biggie IMO..

If you don't like to lie, your a better man for it guy.
I will continue to lie b/c it works for me!

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My brother lied on his resume about having an MBA and he got a job as a bank executive. He did really good at his job until he had a disagreement with one of his bosses about something not even work related. He basically got fired because of a personality conflict but they used the resume as the official reason why they fired him. He found out later, they knew he lied on his resume the whole time and kept that as a reason if they ever needed to get rid of him

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I can't imagine lying on a resume - I'd be too nervous filling out apps/going to interviews. Plus, it's just too damned easy to make some phone calls to confirm whether or not it's true.

There's some amount of bending and shaping of your past experience to make yourself stand out as a more qualified applicant for a certain position, just as long as whatever you have written down on the paper is 100% accurate were someone to check-up on your references.

Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Well we have to draw a line.
You cannot BullSh** about education b/c you'll need to show transcripts.
Anything else is fair game in my opinon. Of course your risking possibly looking like a fool but that's at each person's discretion.
ex.
Job posting is looking for someone with 5 years mgmt experience, you actually have 4, whats wrong with lying a little and saying 5? No biggie IMO..

If you don't like to lie, your a better man for it guy.
I will continue to lie b/c it works for me!

I can say without a doubt they would look at your resume if you only had 2 years experience, maybe none. Effort on your part to excel in the corporate structure shows a potential employer you have goals. It's more a way to weed out applicants that are light years away from being qialified to do the job or aren't driven to excel or perform.

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91fox:
quote:
WOW!

If you come across a good interviewer, your lies will come out during the interview. If you care about the job I would suggest against blantantly lying on your resume.

your best bet would be to have several difference resumes that cater and read like the different positions job description.

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com