Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » career advice?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: career advice?
hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hattrick90  Ford pictures for hattrick90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so basically i have been thinking that i really need to get a move on with what i want to do in my life(im 20) i know that i want to be a mechanical engineer or race cars(but i've never raced anything so i don't think that's going to happen)but the problem is i have a real hard time going to school..i have never had trouble with the classes just doing the homework. i really believe that unless i make a big change in my life im going to take a long time to finish school. i think im to comfortable with my suroundings and thats why i have trouble doing the HW cuz i find so many other things to do. basically i was thinking about joining the airforce. other problem is that i have an amazing GF. and leaving her would suck fat gorilla balls.
any advice?

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Race car drivers, these days, start racing when they're 5 years old. I remember going to Bondurant to get my IMSA & SCCA license when I was 19 and they were basically telling me that I started too late. But, they had no problem taking my money!! [Big Grin]

Did you get straight A's in math & science in high school? If not and if school just isn't your thing, a mechanical technician or something more hands-on might be best. My wife is an engineer (masters degree) and does math problems for FUN in her free time...that is typical for an engineer

All branches of the military will have plenty of technician opportunities, but the Navy would be best for a full-fledged mechanical engineer. Think the captain runs those big ships?

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
phil a
¯
Member # 6951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for phil a  Ford pictures for phil a    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sometimes moving away from friends/family/comfortable surroundings can help you focus on what you want to get accomplished. Yea, it sucks in the short-term, but true friends and family will understand you're doing what's best for you. In the long run, you'll benefit and probably thank yourself for taking the chance and succeeding.
Posts: 1261 | From: toledo oh | Registered: Jul 2006  |  :
sharkattack
¯
Member # 645

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for sharkattack  Ford pictures for sharkattack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pick a branch and join. Sometimes you just need a kick in the ass. Good place to start. I wasn't ready for school till after I got out. Grew up and matured in the USMC. Good life experience. For me anyway.

--------------------
1965 Fastback

03 Cobra with some stuff

hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hattrick90  Ford pictures for hattrick90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea the other thing im real worried about with the military is i always like to know info about what i do and why its done and i mean common if someone asks you to do something in the military you do it no questions asked. i have a problem not asking questions.

well math and science were really easy i was never challenged i just never did the hw and its hard to remember equations if you don't practice so tests didn't go all that well but when i tried hard and did it all yea i had A's

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
LMAO, why do you need to move or join a branch of the military just so you can do your homework?

That doesn't make much sense to me. If you really are motivated to do it, you will have the discipline to make sure you get done what needs to get done.

The solution is simple. If you really want to become a engineer you will do the homework. Regardless of what you have around yourself to distract you.

It's all about motivation. If you don't have the motivation to do it then why not find a different career choice? Or not go to school and maybe go to a vocational school with less homework?

Believe me everyone in college has distractions and more enjoyable things to do than homework. Difference is they are motivated and understand how it will help them in the long run and they suck it up and do what they need to.

If you need to move away from home just so you can do homework or focus on school I don't think this is the right field for you, or maybe you should rethink about how bad you really want this. Maybe it's not what you want as much as you think it is.

[patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

its more of a forcing myself to break bad habits than something like i just have distractions...but i do get where your coming from with yea that sounds stupid...but its more of a mental thing...if that makes any more sense?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Oh well I didn't get that from the OP.

I always feel that if someone feels strong enough about something they will change on their own.

Good Luck with whatever you choose. At least your thinking about it now rather than when your 25 or 30 [patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like u need to learn some self discipline or get yourself out of the environment that isnt conducive to being productive in school.
what i suggest is if you're interested in doing engineering is go talk to some professors at school or other students to get an idea of what sort of things they do and see if thats truly what you're interested in. if you're more of a hands on/fabrication type of guy the engineering school work as far as going through the physics, tons of math courses and science crap might not be your cup of tea. i did engineering cuz it was more of a process of elimination for me...i was always pretty good in math so it was suggested to me more than once to look into engineering or CS. i eventually got the EE just cuz it ended that way. however towards the end of college, after doing my senior project, which involved building a robot and programming a micro-controller,i realized computer science seemed more interesting to me...so my point is, try to get out there, ask lots of questions and if you're given the opportunity try to get an internship so ull have a better idea what job you might land.

i also considered joining the airforce as an officer but quickly tossed that out of the window since any threat of being in a war was something i wasnt willing to participate in and i didnt like the fact that the military can dictate your job placement.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

that is exactly what my problem is with the military...and just to throw this out there so i don't sound like a some lazy scumbag i have discipline in everything else but school but like you said making a robot and programming it would be sick that's the kind of stuff i want to do if i could just get there from learning it hands on rather than sitting in a class room that would be perfect.
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hattrick90:
that is exactly what my problem is with the military...and just to throw this out there so i don't sound like a some lazy scumbag i have discipline in everything else but school but like you said making a robot and programming it would be sick that's the kind of stuff i want to do if i could just get there from learning it hands on rather than sitting in a class room that would be perfect.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

What year are you? I PROMISE that once you get into your late Junior and Senior year, the "classroom" settings will get MUCH better.

My first two years of college sucked. Newtonian physics, Calculus, Diff Eq. Blah. Last two years, is when it really starts.

So, if you hang on and build a solid foundation in lower division, it will reward you in the end. Also, while in college, you should apply for Co-Op. Most universities have this program, which allows a student to work AND attend school in certain intervals.

The job guarentee will be much more likely when you graduate. Plus, most of these jobs have some sort of hands on application, which might feed your need for hands on...

Edit:

Additionally, there is a reason why employers require Bachelors Degrees and above. It also shows them that you had the motivation and drive to go to school and learn.

Sitting through the classes sharpens organizational skills, people skills, and quick critical-thinking skills, (i.e. when a professor calls on you in class).

I think in the end, it's a matter of your OWN motivation and discipline. Find ways to avoid distractions and get motivated!

[ August 06, 2009, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: Tha91SiCkNeSs ]

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Posts: 565 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jun 2005  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I suggest a B.S degree (not BA, AA, or AS) in Mechnical or Civil Engineering with co-ops during summers anywhere that pays.

Without co-ops you would have no real world experience related to your major that you can talk about in your interviews.

Then you're making $70-80k+ starting with promises of $100k+ in the next 5-10 years!

Go I.U.O.E [patriot]

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tha91SiCkNeSs  Ford pictures for Tha91SiCkNeSs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
I suggest a B.S degree (not BA, AA, or AS) in Mechnical or Civil Engineering with co-ops during summers anywhere that pays.

Without co-ops you would have no real world experience related to your major that you can talk about in your interviews.

Then you're making $70-80k+ starting with promises of $100k+ in the next 5-10 years!

Go I.U.O.E [patriot]

I believe that all engineering degrees are B.S.'s

--------------------
2003 Cobra

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had the same problem with school, and what help me was getting help (counseling) and doing my homework with other classmates or my girlfriend. and like other said its all about getting yourself out there.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
so basically i have been thinking that i really need to get a move on with what i want to do in my life(im 20) i know that i want to be a mechanical engineer or race cars(but i've never raced anything so i don't think that's going to happen)but the problem is i have a real hard time going to school..i have never had trouble with the classes just doing the homework. i really believe that unless i make a big change in my life im going to take a long time to finish school. i think im to comfortable with my suroundings and thats why i have trouble doing the HW cuz i find so many other things to do. basically i was thinking about joining the airforce. other problem is that i have an amazing GF. and leaving her would suck fat gorilla balls.
any advice?

By the way, if you are having any trouble with any math or physics class, I'm willing to help!

[patriot]

--------------------
2003 Cobra

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tha91SiCkNeSs:
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

Go I.U.O.E [patriot]

I believe that all engineering degrees are B.S.'s
You can get an AS (Associate of Science) in Engineering or Computer science. Had an X-GF that got one and she's a lab tech LOL. Next!

Link:
http://dept.seattlecolleges.com/southengineering/degrees.html

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you cant focus enough to get something done, then you just aren't tired of being sick and tired yet. Maybe you need a new circle of friends or need some friends. Does you girlfriend not encourage you? If not you need a new one of those too.
hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

so what exactly is a co-op? or should i just ask a counseler. and yeah my gf encourages me plenty. friends are also cool guys they are all just rich and don't really have to work they could all basically just go to school and not have to pay for anything. not trying to make excuses for myself at all...and i guess i'm technically a sophmore now?

and if you guys know anyplace that does internships let me know i tried looking around but i could not find anything.

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
so what exactly is a co-op? or should i just ask a counseler. and yeah my gf encourages me plenty. friends are also cool guys they are all just rich and don't really have to work they could all basically just go to school and not have to pay for anything. not trying to make excuses for myself at all...and i guess i'm technically a sophmore now?

and if you guys know anyplace that does internships let me know i tried looking around but i could not find anything.

Are you going to a community college or a 4-year?

Most community colleges don't have a co-op program.

Co-op is program that is usually stemmed by a partnership between a University and a Corporation or Company of sorts. You get into the program and you work 6-months, go to school 6-months. It allows you to get experience before you graduate.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

Bigchelis
¯
Member # 5941

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bigchelis  Ford pictures for Bigchelis    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Your only 20 years old and it is a perfect time for a 4year degree.

My 5yrs GF is an Engineer here where I work. She was telling me that by the time she finished H.S. she had completed succesfully Calculus 2 and advanced physics and even then it took her 5 years at SJSU to get her EE..This is with 6 to 7 classes a semester and summer school too. Apparently; you have to take a whole bunch of math and physics before you can even take a single engineering course.

If you are good in math, physics, and can memorize better than the average person I say get your mechanical engineering degree.

[ August 07, 2009, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Bigchelis ]

Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

well math and science were really easy i was never challenged i just never did the hw and its hard to remember equations if you don't practice so tests didn't go all that well but when i tried hard and did it all yea i had A's

Having it be easy and really loving it are two different things. I got straight A's in math my entire school career, but despised the classes and homework and found it entirely too tedious. Engineers practically get a hard-on when they see a math equation.

As for all the prodding to go into the military. Do NOT go in unless you have a plan for when you get out...whether it be money for college or skills learned that will be of use in civilian life.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
quote:

Having it be easy and really loving it are two different things. I got straight A's in math my entire school career, but despised the classes and homework and found it entirely too tedious. Engineers practically get a hard-on when they see a math equation.

As for all the prodding to go into the military. Do NOT go in unless you have a plan for when you get out...whether it be money for college or skills learned that will be of use in civilian life.

youd be surprised in the field, engineers do very little numbers crunching but rely more on tools and models that are available. of course, we understand how the results are derived but these days the majority of the math is simple algebra. even analog IC circuit designers, which i would say is probably up there for most challenging work do mostly simple calculations.

the ones who get a hard-on on math equations are probably like 10% of the engineers.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Tha91SiCkNeSs
¯
Member # 5790

quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
quote:

youd be surprised in the field, engineers do very little numbers crunching but rely more on tools and models that are available. of course, we understand how the results are derived but these days the majority of the math is simple algebra. even analog IC circuit designers, which i would say is probably up there for most challenging work do mostly simple calculations.

the ones who get a hard-on on math equations are probably like 10% of the engineers.

Yes very true. The most math I have EVER applied is using Cubic Spline Interpolation. This wasn't neccessary but it makes for a good presentation.

However, I have to admit, I still get a hard-on when I see good equations or trying to prove that a function is Riemann Integrable. LOL

All the lower division math, physics, etc., are more of a "filter" if you will. It weeds out the people that may not be able to handle the demands of the degree and career.

--------------------
2003 Cobra

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it were me I'd say...

If you wanna drive fast and get paid for it and you don't like school, I'd try out for CHP [patriot] everyone I've talked to that's CHP likes it.

Nice thing is it pays good, get to drive and best part you get a SM .40 cal, AR-15 and a rem 870 in your car [Cool]

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com