Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Big choice to make... (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Big choice to make...
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just out of curiosity wondering what you guys would do.

Well I currently run a ad agency, dev studio. We specialize in web, multimedia, 3d and CG and graphic design. We basically fly below radar and snatch bids from larger agencies. Our low overhead and unique setup allows a very agile development environment. Sometimes we are on site, sometimes we are remote and sometimes we are behind the scenes. Anyway, one of our larger clients has offered to absorb us. Basically buying us, and giving me a high ranking position in the business unit. I consider it a honor and I want to jump on it.

But....

A. I love working for myself
B. I want to see my business mature and reach the heights I had planned
C. want to have something to give my kids (business wise)

Plus....

A. I would lose some of my employees.
B. Lose control of the overall group.

On the good side

A. I would be guaranteed a job
B. Some of my employees will be guaranteed a job as well
C. I good chunk of cash that will help launch my other business (plus solidify my kids continuing education plans).

Ultimately this is something my wife and I will discuss and do what is best for the family. But I am big on loyalty and respect. And I feel like I am going against both if I take this offer. Plus I feel like I will be working under a umbrella again. But on the flip side I will be back a regular 8hr day instead of 14-16 hour days sometimes.

What would ya'll do? Take the money and run and say screw it? Or stick it out and mature what you have started so you can say you reached a goal?

Nastysvt
¯
Member # 6431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nastysvt  Ford pictures for Nastysvt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats a toughy looking at both aspects, but it seems that your business is doing well enough where another company wants to step in and take over. I'm not sure how long you've been in the business now but I would wait it out, and see where it goes. On the other hand it would be nice get have that 40 hour work week. Ultimately the decision is going to come down to you and your wife. I wish u the best of luck on whatever you choose! [patriot]

--------------------
Built 98 Cobra
Built C6 Z06
Daily TBSS

Posts: 2575 | From: Valley to the Bay | Registered: Jan 2006  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have ever thought about seeling your company before? and dont u have 2 companys running?

i would wait a lil while till the ecomony starts turning around where your company can grow then sell have 1/2 of it so your still part owner just in case your biz becomes a major money maker.

on real talk have u started any iras? or reterment plans. have you invisted in any stocks other than your company?

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CALIFORNIAGT:
have ever thought about seeling your company before? and dont u have 2 companys running?

i would wait a lil while till the ecomony starts turning around where your company can grow then sell have 1/2 of it so your still part owner just in case your biz becomes a major money maker.

on real talk have u started any iras? or reterment plans. have you invisted in any stocks other than your company?

2 companys...well kinda. We spun off a sister clothing line to compensate for sagging revenue (which actually hasnt fully launched yet). I never thought of selling the co. before. I always said I want one of my kids to take it over. Pretty much all my disposable revenue goes into one of 3 places at this point. My kids college funds (alot considering I have 5), My home/savings or the business. I do not really like investing in others. I was raised investing in one's self is the greatest investment (thats the southern in me). This whole thing is bringing up thought processes I never really thought of before.

Which is making it tough. I am too old to start taking risks is what my mind says. Heart says *in a Chris Rock voice* take the money fool.

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thats a tough position to be in cause i understand what u are feeling. All i could say is be on the selfish side and look at what's best for your family, cause when the chips are down the only people that are going to be there is your family.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:
thats a tough position to be in cause i understand what u are feeling. All i could say is be on the selfish side and look at what's best for your family, cause when the chips are down the only people that are going to be there is your family.

Man I do not think I can pull my self to do it. Some of the people I would lose made some pretty big sacrifices and decided to stay with me instead of going to some company in the bay. I do not pay as well as those guys obviously. And one dude just had a kid. I cannot look him in the face and tell him he wont have a job in X days. Maybe I am not cut out for business. I just cannot see myself being that cut throat.... Damn this tugs at my very moral fibers. wow. Sorry was thinking out loud in this one...lol

[ August 04, 2009, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

KINGROY
¯
Member # 7736

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for KINGROY  Ford pictures for KINGROY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Go for what you believe in, because at the end the day. It's you and your family that you'll have to face.

--------------------
2003 Cobra Vert
2005 Prius

Posts: 1642 | From: Vallejo, CA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
is there any way you can make a deal with the buying company in order to save peoples jobs???maybe you can... you never know

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by kingroy:
Go for what you believe in, because at the end the day. It's you and your family that you'll have to face.

Yea that is part of the problem. Telling my kids I put a price on my dream. But yea I dig what you are saying.
losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by losbadgts:

Man I do not think I can pull my self to do it. Some of the people I would lose made some pretty big sacrifices and decided to stay with me instead of going to some company in the bay. I do not pay as well as those guys obviously. And one dude just had a kid. I cannot look him in the face and tell him he wont have a job in X days. Maybe I am not cut out for business. I just cannot see myself being that cut throat.... Damn this tugs at my very moral fibers. wow. Sorry was thinking out loud in this one...lol
having a business is hard but there is always decisions that needs to be make good or bad, i have notice now a days that people are very selfish and only care about themselves and family, so i have turn a bit selfish myself too i'm not so proud of it but at the end of the day u are just looking out for the well being of your family.
and like u said that extra money could help u start the other business and provide jobs as well.

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey N8,

You gotta go with what you want on this one. As it stands right now I dont know if I can ever go back to working at a coporate job "working for someone". As a co-owner of a business that has grown from 3 people to 51, I just dont see myself EVER working for someone else again. I know that my hours are crazy (15 hour days 6 - 7 days a week), but in the end I have complete control of every aspect of what I do, and cant give that up. BUT, the one thing, is if my company was to be aquired, I would work the pre-requesite 6months to 1 year, then cash out. But at that point I would be set for life. I am big on loyalty in my company as well, but the one thing i cannot ever look past is the ability to retire before 30. You just gotta do what you feel is right AND what is in the best interest of your family.

Mike

[ August 04, 2009, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: 90gtvert ]

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
Hey N8,

You gotta go with what you want on this one. As it stands right now I dont know if I can ever go back to working at a coporate job "working for someone". As a co-owner of a business that has grown from 3 people to 51, I just dont see myself EVER working for someone else again. I know that my hours are crazy (15 hour days 6 - 7 days a week), but in the end I have complete control of every aspect of what I do, and cant give that up. BUT, the one thing, is if my company was to be aquired, I would work the pre-requesite 6months to 1 year, then cash out. But at that point I would be set for life. I am big on loyalty in my company as well, but the one thing i cannot ever look past is the ability to retire before 30. You just gotta do what you feel is right AND what is in the best interest of your family.

Mike

My mind is going 100 diff ways on this. But yea, I am not even sure I can fit in with a corporate role anymore. I am so used to being the shot caller. As you know as a owner you have to be the best employee. In a corporate setting that can be viewed as a brown noser. I am gonna meet with a attorney next week to discuss this.

Its coming down to follow my brain or my heart.

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
Hey N8,

Mike

My mind is going 100 diff ways on this. But yea, I am not even sure I can fit in with a corporate role anymore. I am so used to being the shot caller. As you know as a owner you have to be the best employee. In a corporate setting that can be viewed as a brown noser. I am gonna meet with a attorney next week to discuss this.

Its coming down to follow my brain or my heart.

And deciding how you will be truly happy. You dont want to sell it, then go to work for someone else, and be miserable for the rest of your life.

I would gladly take less money to be happy, then be set with a cushy job where I was unhappy.

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The way it seems is you have to do what's best for you and your family in the long run obviously, but which choice is the best isn't so obvious if it's a strong company then it might be worth it and especially for benefits I've seen people take a pretty hefty pay cut from one job to another simply because they had better benefits another up side might be like you said 40 hour work weeks more time to spend with the kids and possibly less stress as well

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

SPIDER_STANG
¯
Member # 8658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPIDER_STANG  Ford pictures for SPIDER_STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm sure you & your family will figure it out but just be happy with what ever choice you decide to go with!!!

--------------------
02 GT Conv Sold
92 LX coup Sold
94 Gt Conv
Spurs, Saints, Dodgers! We win baby!!

liftedF150
¯
Member # 868

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for liftedF150  Ford pictures for liftedF150    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is my take on it n8.

You start a business to eventualy sell and make money to retire ( hopefully) I think you really need to put emotion aside and make the smart business decision. You cant worry about keeping a company for your kids to run because what if that isnt what they want to do in life, and you shouldnt push them into something they dont want to do.... If you sell the business you a. will have money to help provide for the family and your kids educations and who knows eventually start up another business if this one doesnt work out. b. you will have more time with your kids because you wont be working 15-16 hour days and on the weekends and you can leave work at work. I have met some very smart people in my line of work and most of them are where they are because they didnt let emotion get in the way of business wich is why they are rich and sucessfull. my point is that I think you should sell if you think you are getting a fair offer and trade for your company and if it doesnt work out in the end you still have the money and you can always start a new venture....

--------------------
GO SHARKS!

Posts: 3259 | From: Discovery Bay | Registered: Feb 2002  |  :
Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1. business is business plain and simple.

I think the best way to look at it, would be "whats in it for me?" Because at the end of the day thats what people do...

2. If you truely enjoy what you do, then you really never "work". The work environment definitely plays a role in if work is fun, or if work is work...

3. There is nothing like owning your own business, u are the boss no one else, dont ahve to deal with having things cleared/approved by 3 people who have no idea what u have to deal with on a daily basis.

4. What if the company that wants to acquire yours, ends up thinking X year/s from now they dont need you or they want to go in another direction of somesort? Is your position stable if u do get acquired?

5. take a worst case senario if they did buy out your company and see if thats something u could live with...

Good luck!

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Daniel50
¯
Member # 5629

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Daniel50  Ford pictures for Daniel50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what a completely useless post!!!! there is no you tube link, no questions where to find prostitutes, no i like turtle references, and no look i found (insert caford member name) pic!!!!

lol. but if i were you i would go with the guaranteed job. its security for you and your family

--------------------
89 2.3- Sold
91 5.0- 12.7@110 sold
94 5.0- 13.0@105 sold
97 Cobra: Sold
95 5.0- sold
95 5.0-bone stock

Posts: 1017 | From: Discovery Bay, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
Rigo5.0
¯
Member # 5247

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rigo5.0  Ford pictures for Rigo5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is tough...

Be honest with yourself and asses where your business is at. Is it still growing and do you see it growing for another 5 or 10 years? Or, has it struggled in growth and profit more recently?
Take into consideration your competitors as well... see how they're doing.
I don't know anything about your line of business but I would take a look at your business and market from outside the box. That way, your pride and heart don't cloud your judgement. Take a look at the most recent trends in your market.
Selling off a successful business can lead to a more prosperous future.. Mark Cuban is a famous example of this.
Good luck!

[ August 05, 2009, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: Rigo5.0 ]

--------------------
91 5.0 [331|T56]
87 Grand National
02 Z06
08 Challenger SRT8
13 Shelby GT500
00 Lightning
14 Camaro SS

Posts: 1454 | From: Kansas City | Registered: Jan 2005  |  :
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When thinking about the future, think about if all your kids are going to be cut out for school. Schools not for everyone, so it would be nice for your children to have a business of there own to fall back on..I dont know though because it is money and less work, what is more secure?

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hattrick90  Ford pictures for hattrick90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
from what i read a lot of people are advising you to protect your family...honestly how i see it is that you have more than just your family in this decision how much would it suck to be that guy that turned down a job so he can stay with you only so that you can sell the business and he loses his job despite the loyalty he showed to you...i definitely agree that your family comes first but if you can be happy with what you have and keep a roof over some other peoples heads at the same time then whats wrong with that...now if your struggling to make bills and barely have enough money to feed your family then hell yea you have to make sure your family is fed...but i honestly believe that most people have started passing up chances to help others. so do whatever it is your family really needs
good luck and i hope it turns out well...let us know what you decide and how it all works out

gq916
¯
Member # 8540

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gq916  Ford pictures for gq916    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would sell it if you are getting the amount of money you think your company is worth and if they guarantee you a job. 14-16 hours a day really suck. A lot of your stress will go away if you for work someone else and only 8 hrs a day.

--------------------
Zinc Yellow 2003 Mach1
Maximum Motorsport Suspension

White 1996 Cobra-Sold 3/2013
Tuned by ForceFed
AED Dyno 308rwhp 283rwtq SAE

Posts: 306 | From: sacramento | Registered: Jul 2008  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There is no such thing as a guaranteed job. They can give you a contract, but that's for money, not a job. They can buy out your contract at any time or fire you for gross misconduct which will be written into the contract. You will also be required to sign a non-compete clause, probably for 3-5 years. So, if you do get let go, you can't start a business that competes in any way with them for that length of time.

Business attorneys have all sorts of formulas to determine a company's worth. But, they do not factor emotions into it. If you decide to sell, have a number in your head of what it is worth to YOU, not some calculated number.

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
There is no such thing as a guaranteed job. They can give you a contract, but that's for money, not a job. They can buy out your contract at any time or fire you for gross misconduct which will be written into the contract. You will also be required to sign a non-compete clause, probably for 3-5 years. So, if you do get let go, you can't start a business that competes in any way with them for that length of time.

Business attorneys have all sorts of formulas to determine a company's worth. But, they do not factor emotions into it. If you decide to sell, have a number in your head of what it is worth to YOU, not some calculated number.

Yea, I spoke to a attorney yesterday and he gave me the run down of what to expect. And one glaring one was that I cannot start another business in that sector for a allotted time frame. I forfeit the trademark I use for the company. And you are right, I would guaranteed a salary not a job. Also they could buy out that salary at a reduced cost or something like that. I will view the proposal to see what is up, because at this point it was implied/conversation proposal. I am planning a meeting with my employees to discuss this option after I get the proposal and meet with an attorney.
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless you REALLY trust your employees, I would keep it quiet for now. Their offer may be ridiculously low, so no reason to get anyone nervous over nothing.

Also, when negotiating, keep in mind the current economy. Everything has taken a hit and is devalued right now, so if you waited a couple years, your business will be worth more, obviously. Negotiate as if it were 2011, not 2009...because, you are not desperate to sell

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com