Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Cali Budget Rant!!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Cali Budget Rant!!!!
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Notice I have been staying out of political and racial topics these days. But this one just burns me up. If you wanna post lets try not to turn this into a flame session about who voted for who...blah blah.

But I just heard about the proposed budget and the desire to cut like 12 billion from schools. Then on top of the 10% hike for State schools, they are adding another 20%, cutting enrollment, and handing out furlough days to Professors and staff. I know there are other cuts in place. But the first up and the hardest hit is education. Always always education. And this pisses me off, because I am very active in my childrens lives and other people's childrens lives. I coach, volunteer, mentor and organize events for kids that really need these programs. So I see first hand how this stuff means a lot to these kids and without them, they are latchkey kids, or hanging out picking up bad habits. Not to mention letting go of quality teachers only hurts the amount of folks who want to grow up and be teachers. It just kills me that we take so little stake in investing in the kids. It is just so easy for them to cut budgets for teachers and schools. But they have to have closed door sessions for caltrans workers or think of something to keep state employees happy. No disrespect to that sector but come on. Kids vs bumpy roads? How do we expect anything good from our futures when we invest so lightly in our kids. Then next up is always law enforcement. Less education and less law enforcement? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sorry ya'll but this is pissing me off.

SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
reps have proposed a bill giving a tax credit for parents that enrol their kids in a private school. It would help with public schools that have to many students...I'm sure N8 if California said they would give you a 5000 dollar tax credit for you sending your child to a private school you would like that.

I'm no saying everyone should go to private school but I know if I could send my kids to get a better education ( better teacher/student ratio) I'd be all for it...

See I tried not to turn it in to a political thing...

--------------------
Originally posted by turbo50:
I have no intenions of keeping anyones parts or taking anyones money.

svt306snake
¯
Member # 1967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for svt306snake  Ford pictures for svt306snake    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is really bad. i wish that when i had my chance to move to another state that i would have taken it. im upset with the education cuts and now they are talking about letting criminals out early. less education less police presence and more criminals what a combination

--------------------
F*** TPS MOTORSPORTS F *** TPS MOTORSPORTS THEY SUCK ASS

TEAM TRUE FORGED X 2 SPONSORED

CAPITAL MUSTANG C.C.

Posts: 5841 | From: SACRAMENTO "916" YA KNOW | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by slowback67:
reps have proposed a bill giving a tax credit for parents that enrol their kids in a private school. It would help with public schools that have to many students...I'm sure N8 if California said they would give you a 5000 dollar tax credit for you sending your child to a private school you would like that.

I'm no saying everyone should go to private school but I know if I could send my kids to get a better education ( better teacher/student ratio) I'd be all for it...

See I tried not to turn it in to a political thing...

Yea for my kids that would be great, tho I doubt I would go that route. But the overall likelihood of this having the desired affect is unlikely. Its no secret I primarily deal with inner city and disadvantaged youth. And from my experience these types of cuts tend to hurt that demographic more. Privately funded schools are just that, and pretty much immune to these types of cuts. But now I have to worry about my kids continuing education. I have money set aside for all of my kids to get an education. but damn, by the time it gets there it wont be enough at this rate. I have one that will be off to college in 3 years. Hopefully he gets a scholarship at this rate...lol
rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why dont they just create a gas tax of .30 per gallon for one year? That will generate enough revenue to close the budget.
Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Since ive gotten out of school in 05 it has gotten worse. Growing up in Oakland it seemed as if every year that went by the less we had dont get me wrong some will prevail no matter what but some kids need that extra help to stay focused. It hurts to hear this is happening because i actually was a part of the first youth to youth grant making organization in the world. Every year we would distribute 250,000 to youth in oakland to start programs to benefit themselves but sadly it came to an end in 05. It was funded by the city and it was reaching youth from the west to the east. That's what kids need some thing that makes them feel like they accomplished on their own. Its not about going to private schools. That doesn't benefit a community growing together and creating new opportunities does.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
DIRTY SALLY
¯
Member # 7845

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DIRTY SALLY  Ford pictures for DIRTY SALLY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

--------------------
---------
Savage Habits
instagram @2cheezen

SPIDER_STANG
¯
Member # 8658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPIDER_STANG  Ford pictures for SPIDER_STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N8 wich party is pushing for the cuts? Dems or Rep??? LoL [Eek!] [Big Grin]

--------------------
02 GT Conv Sold
92 LX coup Sold
94 Gt Conv
Spurs, Saints, Dodgers! We win baby!!

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by SPIDER_STANG:
N8 wich party is pushing for the cuts? Dems or Rep??? LoL [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I dont give a witch's titty who is pushing the cuts...lol. Hell for all I know they have pigeons in there pecking on scantrons to make decisions. But its f'd up regardless.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Our state government has been mismanaging our money for years and years.. this is nothing new. What is new is that it has finally gotten so bad that it fucking as all really hard.

I don't blame the democrats or republicans for causing this mess.. i bame ALL of them for NOT solving it. That is their job and they are failing miserably

My 02 cents [patriot]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by rmadison007:
Why dont they just create a gas tax of .30 per gallon for one year? That will generate enough revenue to close the budget.

That's a great idea, add a tax that will drive everyone's cost of living way up, cost businesses way more to operate! Now your thinking like a politician!!!! Once they add a tax like that it won't be for a year, they will never remove it.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:

That's a great idea, add a tax that will drive everyone's cost of living way up, cost businesses way more to operate! Now your thinking like a politician!!!! Once they add a tax like that it won't be for a year, they will never remove it.
Tax the hell out of cigarettes. People that smoke are disgusting anyway..lol. I mean that in a loving way.
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLOWBACK 67  Ford pictures for SLOWBACK 67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I dont think it would be fair to the tax payers to pay for their mistakes. They ( the people who have been in office) should all get a pay cut, lose there medical and all other special benifits including state cars and planes. Then maybe they will realize what it's really like living in California.

--------------------

rmadison007
¯
Member # 8670

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmadison007  Ford pictures for rmadison007    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

So instead of sacrificing .30 cents a gallon for gas or cigarettes we should eliminate or children's education programs, layoff police, firefighters, and Cal Trans workers, release 20k prisoners, reduce state workers pay by 15%, and increase college tutition to the roof...Just 6 months ago you were paying $4.00 a gallon and giving that .30 cents to the oil companies, but u don't want to give it to the state. It is sad that people know we have a budget problem, but just want it to magically disappear. You don't care who pays for it as long as it isn't you. I understand. I work for the state and it sucks that 15% of my pay is being used to close "everyone's" budget.
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

So instead of sacrificing .30 cents a gallon for gas or cigarettes we should eliminate or children's education programs, layoff police, firefighters, and Cal Trans workers, release 20k prisoners, reduce state workers pay by 15%, and increase college tutition to the roof...Just 6 months ago you were paying $4.00 a gallon and giving that .30 cents to the oil companies, but u don't want to give it to the state. It is sad that people know we have a budget problem, but just want it to magically disappear. You don't care who pays for it as long as it isn't you. I understand. I work for the state and it sucks that 15% of my pay is being used to close "everyone's" budget.
I agree.. I think the government needs to look at other creative options.. but not tax increases.

What about selling off San Quintin? That shit is estimated to be worth $2 billion on the open market right now.

That is just one example. I am sure there are other creative ideas that these people have not even considered.

EDIT: Also, what about incentives to bring businesses and jobs back to the State? That would bring in more tax revenue long term. I really don't hear anything being done about this (although it may be happening.. who knows)

[ July 22, 2009, 03:12 PM: Message edited by: 92stangLX ]

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 92stangLX:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I agree.. I think the government needs to look at other creative options.. but not tax increases.

What about selling off San Quintin? That shit is estimated to be worth $2 billion on the open market right now.

That is just one example. I am sure there are other creative ideas that these people have not even considered.

If they sold san quentin I wonder if they would let me brother out [patriot]
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

quote:
quote:

I dont think it would be fair to the tax payers to pay for their mistakes. They ( the people who have been in office) should all get a pay cut, lose there medical and all other special benifits including state cars and planes. Then maybe they will realize what it's really like living in California.
^ I think this wouldake them shape up.... It's one thing to pass a law sayng they can't have a raise ... But cutting there pay and taking back all the crap they use on our tax money.

--------------------

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Good Job N8 it is going to take more Parents like yourself and others who donate there time to the kids to help out. I have always done stuff with Kids and coached now it is needed more than ever. I think our economy in CA is going to be like this for awhile so get used to it...I do not think it is much better elsewhere.

As far as adding more taxes onto something...are you kidding me? If it goes on it will never come off. These Idiots live in fairytail land. I think the British tried this in the 1700's lol how did that work out?

[ July 22, 2009, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I grew up at the helm of the oakland unified school district man was it shitty I can only imagine the blow it going to take after this bullshit budget it just makes no sense like you said N8 bumpy roads or our kids.

I once said I would NEVER move out of california it's my home and I love it here but with a little one on the way and this shit going on ill definitely think twice

[ July 22, 2009, 04:29 PM: Message edited by: SHOalex ]

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a buddy who was a 8th grade science teacher for the last couple of years in Milpitas. He's said the schools are in such bad shape they are cutting damn near all sports and music programs, and wouldnt be surprised if in 5ish years public schools will no longer exist and become a private only.

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

quote:
Originally posted by Chris C.:
I have a buddy who was a 8th grade science teacher for the last couple of years in Milpitas. He's said the schools are in such bad shape they are cutting damn near all sports and music programs, and wouldnt be surprised if in 5ish years public schools will no longer exist and become a private only.

I almost feel like it wouldn't be such a bad Idea dong away with public schools... The schools in Vallejo are f@ck up... Half the kids don't want to be their... I say if you wanna get an education do it on your own... Public schools are almost like a daycare for some kids.

If they could somehow get the bad apples out of public schools kids would acually learn somthing

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris C.:

I almost feel like it wouldn't be such a bad Idea dong away with public schools... The schools in Vallejo are f@ck up... Half the kids don't want to be their... I say if you wanna get an education do it on your own... Public schools are almost like a daycare for some kids.

If they could somehow get the bad apples out of public schools kids would acually learn somthing

No public schools is a bad thing. Because then you will have the private schools that are lesser in stature or socio-economic status become the new public schools. We just need to fix what we have. Encourage the communities to take pride in their school and pride in their athletics. Make the communities a direct part in the upkeep and responsibility of the school. Sounds crazy, but I have seen rec centers turned around with this mentality. I have seen schools semi-turn around with this mentality. But when you start snatching away the very fabric of schools, people tend to care even less. I have a bunch of ideas that could improve the schools but not a big enough platform to preach it. So I just do my part on my controllable level.
SLOWBACK 67
¯
Member # 6348

^ N8 I'm happy someone can keep their spirits up when it comes to public schools... It sucks driving by your old high school and there's a fence to keep the kids locked in... It looks like a minimum security prison [Frown]

Then you have kids who are wearing nice fits to school and there livin' in sec 8 housing his abusing the system.. Same with free lunch and reduced lunch.

That's why I feel the way I do when it comes to this kind of stuff I see all of the abuse. I know we need these types of programs bit when I see people using our tax money like that it get under my skin

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
^ N8 I'm happy someone can keep their spirits up when it comes to public schools... It sucks driving by your old high school and there's a fence to keep the kids locked in... It looks like a minimum security prison [Frown]

Then you have kids who are wearing nice fits to school and there livin' in sec 8 housing his abusing the system.. Same with free lunch and reduced lunch.

That's why I feel the way I do when it comes to this kind of stuff I see all of the abuse. I know we need these types of programs bit when I see people using our tax money like that it get under my skin

You'll drive yourself nuts worrying about the people abusing aide. Think about the people it is benefiting and you should feel great. Believe the abusers are a minority in most cases.
GOT 50
¯
Member # 1960

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GOT 50  Ford pictures for GOT 50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
N8: If you only new about teh money spent on new school jobs. For instance my company is doing all the electrical work for the San Leandro high schools theater. To say the least it will be a broadway equiped facility in terms of lighting and seating. Total cost. 13 mil. I dont even want to get started on all the new schools we built from the ground up. Full blown theaters. not jsut teh multi pupose rooms or gyms but theaters to go with them. Presidents offices over 400sq ft and the list goes on and on.
Posts: 2139 | From: SF/DALY CITY/MILLBRAE | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com