Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Smog friendly places...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog friendly places...
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Anyone know of a smog friendly test only center in the Fremontish area? My car runs very clean (my tune) and should pass the sniffer with flying colors (have cats and all smog attached and functional)? I just don't want to fail a visual due to non-stock colored spark plug wires or something ridiculous like that [Roll Eyes] I do have a xpipe with cats though..sames ones I have passed with two years ago (pipe is still new and barely used since then).

Pm if if you can.

Thanks...

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Know a place in san jose

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fremont/Sam Jose....doesn't matter..just need to get this smog done...pm me..

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xvt's 85 5.0  Ford pictures for xvt's 85 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
Fremont/Sam Jose....doesn't matter..just need to get this smog done...pm me..

[patriot]

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you might want to try the one across the street from carls jr. on Thronton. i passed there twice with an s-trim plus many other mods.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The one behind the DINO's in the bacc bacc?

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
you might want to try the one across the street from carls jr. on Thronton. i passed there twice with an s-trim plus many other mods.

good peeps there. its the valero gas station.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
oooo you guys are talkin bout newark. I feel stupid.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Carless:
The one behind the DINO's in the bacc bacc?

yea, that's the one im talkin about

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

All should keep any locations to pm's only

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

this one is legit tho. Didn't know he was asking for one of "those".
Carless
¯
Member # 9119

quote:
Originally posted by 166 Merlot:
this one is legit tho. Didn't know he was asking for one of "those".

Oo yeah that's the one I was thinkin of, they have like 2 bigass dogs that bark at anythin the gets within 50 feet of them, at night. But the other guy said by valeros. Nd the only valero I know thats on thornton is in newark.

Kinda curious as to why the smog shops care so much about the wirin and legal "non-stocc" parts?

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Yes..I am looking for a "legit" place..whatever that means as there are so many places that fail you for silly items (geez..my brother in law was turned away in his stock fox just because the "tech" noticed he had a MSD box and still wouldn't give him a visual pass after I disconnected it and was using the stock ignition *had to be removed from the engine bay). To be honest the the box had a CARB# too...

I guess what I am looking for is a place that knows what they are doing. The color of my plug wires should not matter...the emission from my tailpipes should. I need to take it to a test only place though according to my registration...

xvt's 85 5.0
¯
Member # 4765

quote:
Originally posted by CobramanPhil:
Yes..I am looking for a "legit" place..whatever that means as there are so many places that fail you for silly items (geez..my brother in law was turned away in his stock fox just because the "tech" noticed he had a MSD box and still wouldn't give him a visual pass after I disconnected it and was using the stock ignition *had to be removed from the engine bay). To be honest the the box had a CARB# too...

I guess what I am looking for is a place that knows what they are doing. The color of my plug wires should not matter...the emission from my tailpipes should. I need to take it to a test only place though according to my registration...

Go to the place I pm'd you is test only.

--------------------
CBR 600RR
CBR 600 F4

kingjay
¯
Member # 7712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingjay  Ford pictures for kingjay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you still need a place PM me for details. The place in in Santa Clara.
NINETY#FIFTY
¯
Member # 4866

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NINETY#FIFTY  Ford pictures for NINETY#FIFTY    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Seems like these days its getting harder and harder to get a smog, I failed the visual on my headers. Previously they would pass fine. I will pm you a shop that doesnt sweat the little stuff longest you burn clean...

--------------------
1990 #50 SALEEN 31K
1988 #363 SALEEN 68K
1993 #2572 COBRA 31k
1993 ACURA INTEGRA 102k
2014 HYUNDAI SONATA 171k

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Thanks for all the replies and pm's. I am going to try to get the cobra smogged this week...crossing fingers. Btw what happens if you fail the first time out? Can you keep trying or do they automatically send you to the state ref or something?

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

kingjay
¯
Member # 7712

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for kingjay  Ford pictures for kingjay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Pm replied. Let me know if it worked out.
Ken
¯
Member # 9328

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ken  Ford pictures for Ken    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know of a 'mod friendly' smog shop in the Sacramento area?

Ken

--------------------
08 Shelby GT #1292
05 F-150 STX
66 Mustang 2+2

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by NINETY#FIFTY:
Seems like these days its getting harder and harder to get a smog, I failed the visual on my headers. Previously they would pass fine. I will pm you a shop that doesnt sweat the little stuff longest you burn clean...

The smog guy was by the book. He stated my bassani xpipe with cats were missing two converters and smog legal jba shorty headers (they have been legal for the last 10 years..he could not find the correct CARB EO# for it) would not allow him to pass me..ughh..so FAILED on visual.

Other than that I failed only on the low speed test in HC(PPM) with an allowable 270ppm and I got 284ppm..ughh..so close. Everything else I passed by a mile.

Still what bugged me the most is that he did not give me any breaks..didn't matter if I passed emissions or not [Mad] The deal with the CARB EO number is that the one on the CARB website was not specific to vehicle on the JBA headers. In other words it did not specifically say mustang, but just said 79-95 ford passenger cars with EECIII or IV computer. I don't know about you, but that is pretty specific since the vehicles the website are referring to had all 5.0 engines available w/EEC 3 and 4. That shop is a FAIL in my books..jeez. [Mad]

Money and time wasted [Mad]

Going to try the other shops if you guys are sure they don't bug out on the legal aftermarket parts [Roll Eyes]

[ July 25, 2009, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com