Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Anyone taken auto tech programs at College of Alameda, LMC, Chabot, CCC?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone taken auto tech programs at College of Alameda, LMC, Chabot, CCC?
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So after two years of workin a half-assed part-time job and being broke as shiet, I decided to get started in an auto tech program at the schools aforementioned. Basically, i'd like to become a smog tech initially, and my understanding is that before you're eligible to take the smog tech exam the BAR requires you to have a certain amount of experience OR an auto tech degree.

Im choosing the latter and I just wanted to hear about people's experiences with any of the auto tech programs in the bay. Im primarily askin about College of Alameda because thats closest to me, but LMC in pitt and Chabot in San leandro/Hayward and CCC in san pablo aren't ridiculously far from me. Are there any programs that are exceptionally good or should I just go with Alameda since its the closest with that dept.?

Also, Im open to any advice regarding any aspect of the direction im going, let me know whatsup I value most opinions on this board...

[Whoo Whooooo!] [burnout]

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Posts: 677 | From: east bay,ca | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think any of those are all pretty similar another thing you wanna think about is working for like a public transit agency like AC transit, VTA, sam trans, and all places like that youll need a little bit of experience and some general knowledge but they pay pretty damn good and no need to deal with BAR and smoging or anything and maker very good money with really good benefits and its union

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im taking auto tech at chabot. But to get your degree, you have to take all your general ed and the auto tech classes too. I got about 7 classes left, should get done wit em next year, but I still have to finish my general ed. They said its a lot better than goin to wyotech or uti or a trade school, cuz if you get a job at like the city or pg nd e or somewhere wit a fleet, they won't accept any of that trade scoo trainin. A lot of people in my classes were people that went to wyotech and stuff and had to take the same classes at chabot to work with a fleet.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

SHOalex
¯
Member # 7720

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SHOalex  Ford pictures for SHOalex    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats not necesserily true they took my experience from wyotech at my job but you over pay at those trade schools the only good thing is you finish alot quicker i got lucky i guess i mean i have to pay back 23K but my job pays +50K a year [patriot] [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
BAM! POW! Right in the kisser.

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i am good freinds with one of the teachers at lmc he was one of the apreness (sp) that i ve had over the years an he knows an loves what he's doing
Carless
¯
Member # 9119

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carless  Ford pictures for Carless  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SHOalex:
Thats not necesserily true they took my experience from wyotech at my job but you over pay at those trade schools the only good thing is you finish alot quicker i got lucky i guess i mean i have to pay back 23K but my job pays +50K a year [patriot] [Whoo Whooooo!]

Yeah that's true. They told me id have to take out a student loan on top of the financial aid that id be gettin, which wouldn't be a whole lot. They said itd be from 28k to 35k. But you get doen in 14-16 months. Didn't feel it was worth it, when I can spend a extra 3 months at chabot and get the same thing for cheaper. I know acouple people that went to wyotech and they turned out to be really good technicians.

--------------------
*89 LX 5.0(sold)
*86 GT 5.0(sold)
*90 GT 5.0

Infamous5.0
CAFords OG
Member # 1745

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Infamous5.0  Ford pictures for Infamous5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I failed the state exam to become a smog tech twice [Frown] I pass the rules and regulations with ease but the rest is hard I got a 62 and its 69 to pass anyone know how I can pass?

--------------------
To be or not to be

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous5.0:
I failed the state exam to become a smog tech twice [Frown] I pass the rules and regulations with ease but the rest is hard I got a 62 and its 69 to pass anyone know how I can pass?

just study i've had mine since 2002
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for getjobdone  Ford pictures for getjobdone    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I appreciate the input for sure keep it comin. I definitely agree that wyotech is waayyy too much $$, plus I've also heard its not even considered that much more prestigious or worth it to have than just a degree from a community college.

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

jmcclesk
Member # 1355

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmcclesk  Ford pictures for jmcclesk    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Skyline college has i VERY good auto program. IMO pay for schools are way too overpriced. back in the late 80's i did my first auto year at a pay for school and my 2nd year at a skyline college. I recived a BETTER schooling for a LOT less money. I actually recived 2k in grant money which was more than i paid in school bills.
Any of the bus transits in the bay area are good. I left the flat rate world in 2001 and i now work for srt in sacramneto. the pay is ok, BUT the bennies are great!!!

--------------------
Ford trained ASE master tech.

Posts: 4024 | From: marrysville | Registered: May 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It is a good way to go. I got a AA degree in Auto Tech from Lassen college along time ago. It looks great on a resume. I worked side by side with trade school grads at dealerships all the time. They did not have any better training then I got. I also went fleet mechanic for UPS 14 years ago. It is a very good job ,having a AA degree helped me get in the door.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Alameda College is the way to go man, instructors there are on point. They pretty much can help you with whatever direction you want to go in and your not rushed through the process. I went to school there for about two years and in the process got hired right away. Only problem is the auto industry is bad right now and work isnt what it used to be. I advise take the classes and alameda save u alot of money while still providing you with the best instructors out there.

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :
getjobdone
¯
Member # 4666

Right on, Im definitely excited for the challenge and it seems I'll probably be enrolling at Alameda as San Bruno is a significantly longer commute.

Ay Tony Montana, Im curious when did you finish at CoA and how you found work?

--------------------
91 notch ^ blown h/c/i

Tony Montana
¯
Member # 8288

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tony Montana  Ford pictures for Tony Montana    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
A good resume will go along way . I finished COA in 07 because i need to start working. What i did was post my resume on monster and craigslist. I got a job at a shop in castro valley but the auto industry was in alot better shape then it is now. I also worked for snap on as tech support for their diagnostic equipment so alameda college will get you far if your willing to put in the effort. Im not an og with alot of experience im only 22 but if you are confident in yourself nobody can deny your goals. Good luck and get your eyes on the prize. [patriot]

--------------------
I lend my brother a hand cus i know i can i keep going and going but i aint the pink bunny instead of beatin on a drum i never stop gettting money

Posts: 369 | From: Oakland California | Registered: Mar 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com