Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » 02 Mustang GT LED Dash cluster

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 02 Mustang GT LED Dash cluster
InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for InkedWhiteboy  Ford pictures for InkedWhiteboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So I figured out how to change the gauge cluster illumination color on the factory cluster, its very tim consuming but in the end its well worth it. the pics dont do it justice..I was thinking of doing a how to on this but figured I have this kick ass idea that peeps might pay me to do for them so..here are the pics let me know if you want it done.

Lights on..
 -
 -

Lights off
 -

[ June 16, 2009, 02:01 AM: Message edited by: InkedWhiteboy ]

Posts: 160 | From: MTZ Concord | Registered: Oct 2008  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sick

Not that hard though. Just a matter of popping out the cluster & putting in cool white LED's

-

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for InkedWhiteboy  Ford pictures for InkedWhiteboy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
On the 02s no matter the color of the leds you have to mod the cluster your 03-04 cobra and the 03 mach1 cluster is different.. the older clusters have a green paint on the whole cluster assembly.
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by InkedWhiteboy:
On the 02s no matter the color of the leds you have to mod the cluster your 03-04 cobra and the 03 mach1 cluster is different.. the older clusters have a green paint on the whole cluster assembly.

Yeah mine is a 96. Just got some custom lay overs for the tach & speedo. But ur right I did hear the 99 up ones are a lil different. Never knew how though. Who did u get ur LED's from? I went with superbrightled.com

--------------------

InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

LOL I shelled out 50.00 for my leds from pepboys and I had to modify the ones for my cluster. next are the trac controll/fog light/defroster buttons but I am gonna have to do some custom stuff for them
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
LOL I shelled out 50.00 for my leds from pepboys and I had to modify the ones for my cluster. next are the trac controll/fog light/defroster buttons but I am gonna have to do some custom stuff for them

Post pics when u get that done. I wanted to do mine but im positive im gonna break some shit in the process

--------------------

SPIDER_STANG
¯
Member # 8658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SPIDER_STANG  Ford pictures for SPIDER_STANG    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I want 2 see that done!!! Hey 50deep that deck looks hella bright aswell, how did you do that?

--------------------
02 GT Conv Sold
92 LX coup Sold
94 Gt Conv
Spurs, Saints, Dodgers! We win baby!!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's a howto posted about this on sn95forums.com

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Blind:
there's a howto posted about this on sn95forums.com

that is on the older clusters the new clusters have a green paint on the back of the cluster. No matter how bright the bulb it just goes to a brighter green!

[ June 16, 2009, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: InkedWhiteboy ]

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by SPIDER_STANG:
Yeah I want 2 see that done!!! Hey 50deep that deck looks hella bright aswell, how did you do that?

Man I just got lucky alpine makes decent products. Haha

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 50 Deep:
quote:

Yeah mine is a 96. Just got some custom lay overs for the tach & speedo. But ur right I did hear the 99 up ones are a lil different. Never knew how though. Who did u get ur LED's from? I went with superbrightled.com
What all did you buy to do yours? I wanna do this on my cobra. What are the custom lay overs?

Diamond Dave
¯
Member # 5023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diamond Dave  Ford pictures for Diamond Dave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Post pics when u get that done. I wanted to do mine but im positive im gonna break some shit in the process
Not too hard if you can solder and know electrical decently well. Just gotta make sure you're using the correct resister to get the voltage where you need it to be. I may do it in my SHO someday, but I don't know if I have the patience, ha.

Oh and I did this to my old 98 Cobra. Looked schweet! [Smile]

--------------------
1993 Taurus SHO MTX Red/Grey
-Stock hotness DD

Posts: 475 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

What all did you buy to do yours? I wanna do this on my cobra. What are the custom lay overs?

I got the "over lays" from speedhut. See how my speedo says SVT & the tach has Ford racing. Plus I ordered those in red. I spent around 70 bucks at superbrightled.com. U wanna get the 5 angle cool white led's. I think u need 6 for the cluster and 3 for the HVAC panel. Its a lil expensive but when u use cheap bulbs u get cheap lighting. Plus it makes the interior much nicer

Edit: cost me 70 cuz I got some extra bulbs for the interior & reverse lights. Only run u like 30 to do just the dash

[ June 16, 2009, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: 50 Deep ]

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

I got the "over lays" from speedhut. See how my speedo says SVT & the tach has Ford racing. Plus I ordered those in red. I spent around 70 bucks at superbrightled.com. U wanna get the 5 angle cool white led's. I think u need 6 for the cluster and 3 for the HVAC panel. Its a lil expensive but when u use cheap bulbs u get cheap lighting. Plus it makes the interior much nicer

Edit: cost me 70 cuz I got some extra bulbs for the interior & reverse lights. Only run u like 30 to do just the dash

You should do a write up on that. I like doing little extra details crap like this to cars.

Was it hard to do? Bah I'll pm you

InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

I would post a how to but I guarantee that I would get pm's saying bro I cant get this to work or that to work.. I would rather do it and then show someone how to do it rather than a write up.
Diamond Dave
¯
Member # 5023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diamond Dave  Ford pictures for Diamond Dave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:
quote:

You should do a write up on that. I like doing little extra details crap like this to cars.

Was it hard to do? Bah I'll pm you

I was the guy who showed him actually. It's 5 bulbs behind the cluster and 2 behind the HVAC. The swap is fairly simple if you are patient. Just unbolt a few dash pieces until you get to the cluster, pull that out, and the bulbs will be visible from behind. They just twist into place, so you just untwist em, swap the bulbs and twist em back in. Mine ended up being a bit of a pain because one of the LED bulbs kept getting incorrect voltage, so I'd keep getting a dim spot. Ordered a few more bulbs, re-did the bad one, and it was fine ever since then.

If you are a member of SVTPeformance, there is a write up on there. Infact, the guy posted two write ups... One in the pics/vid section, and one in the 94-98 Cobra section.

--------------------
-Stock hotness DD

Diamond Dave
¯
Member # 5023

Found the original link:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=477431

--------------------
-Stock hotness DD

TubeSteakJohnson
¯
Member # 8967

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TubeSteakJohnson  Ford pictures for TubeSteakJohnson    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
als50 did it to his fox and that shit is TITE!!!

--------------------
--FREE BEER--

InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by Diamond Dave:
Found the original link:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=477431

Thats for the 95-98ish the newer guage assemblies have a green and white couat on the back of the cluster..I tried this write up and mine was just brighter green
InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

Im gonna give a little bit of the trick away..then you can see if you want to attempt it..look at this pic, part of the numbers are white and some are green.. You have to sand the paint off but you gotta tape it off and watch where you sand or you will sand thru and then you have a worthless cluster..

-

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does anyone know if the fox cluster has a green layer of paint?

Or is it just the bulbs that are green?

Will changing JUST the bulbs change the color of the cluster and HVAC panel?

Thanks

[patriot]

Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
InkedWhiteboy
¯
Member # 8724

quote:
Originally posted by 90FoX:
Does anyone know if the fox cluster has a green layer of paint?

Or is it just the bulbs that are green?

Will changing JUST the bulbs change the color of the cluster and HVAC panel?

Thanks

[patriot]

To my emory it has little caps over the bulbs in the sockets.. just pull it out and snap some picks I will hel you out!

[ June 20, 2009, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: InkedWhiteboy ]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com