Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Residential AC folks help!!!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Residential AC folks help!!!
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Does this sound about right?

3.5 ton Rheem AC Split unit (SEER 15) for 10k? House is like 2200 sq ft 1 story.

I am trying to see if I can get a better number for the install. I was about to plunk down the 10k and decided to search around a bit more.

Also what happened to my existing one is I think the roofers that installed my roof bumped or knocked loose a fitting, allowing my freon to leak out and they said being I ran it with no freon I potentially burned up my compressor. It will cost 900.00 to fix and 2500 on top of that if the compressor needs to be replaced. The current unit is a old GE one.

I sure hate to plop down this 10k but will if that is a solid price.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You might honestly be able to find someone getting kicked out of their house to sell you the one they have for super cheap. A lot of people took advantage of the program through SMUD to upgrade their system and you could run across a unit a couple years old.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
Tinner
¯
Member # 2688

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tinner  Ford pictures for Tinner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all your doing is replacing the old unit ?

--------------------
04 Comp. Orange mach 1
AED built
2.3 Whipple@17#s
605rwhp
580rwtq
10.71@131mph
now with a little more power it goes 135mph+ on 18" DRs

Posts: 835 | From: santa rosa | Registered: Apr 2003  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Tinner:

yea, it is a split tho.

Asskickn, I will look into that. But I still would need it installed, with all the permits and stuff.

[ May 17, 2009, 11:56 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

yea, it is a split tho.

Asskickn, I will look into that. But I still would need it installed, with all the permits and stuff.

I'm sure there are A/C guys that can swap that out for you, I'd look into having someone come out and toss that thing in and don't look back. You need a permit to replace a water heater but how many people actually get one for something like that? If I was doing an addition to my house I'd get a permit but replacing something like that I'd just have it done..... that's just me though.

--------------------

Abandon him.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
quote:

yea, it is a split tho.

I'm sure there are A/C guys that can swap that out for you, I'd look into having someone come out and toss that thing in and don't look back. You need a permit to replace a water heater but how many people actually get one for something like that? If I was doing an addition to my house I'd get a permit but replacing something like that I'd just have it done..... that's just me though.
Well permits are important because if something happens and it is found that ac is not up to code and caused the problem. Insurance/home warranty wont pay out. I like to make sure my wife and kids are covered. If it were just me, hell I would try to do it myself...lol.
STOCK GT
¯
Member # 5139

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STOCK GT  Ford pictures for STOCK GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10k that's definitely outrageous to simply just replace the ac unit,especially for a rheem. don't forget that if you have a compressor lock (burn out) it may have very well contaminated the refrigeration lines and coil.I'm from san jose and we don't charge that much for a simple a.c. change out. sounds like someones tryin to get the better part of your bank account, definitely get more estimates and don't disclose previous price quotes to competitors until they've given you a price. if you need more help lmk.
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ill check on a price tomarrow. but u gotta factor in getting a crane to pull the old one off and lift the new one up to the roof. then pay for the unit and pay for someone to install it.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 EATIN GM'S:
ill check on a price tomarrow. but u gotta factor in getting a crane to pull the old one off and lift the new one up to the roof. then pay for the unit and pay for someone to install it.

yea he mentioned a crane in his estimate as well. Yea any inside info would be great. Gonna get around 5-6 estimates.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
Originally posted by STOCK GT:
10k that's definitely outrageous to simply just replace the ac unit,especially for a rheem. don't forget that if you have a compressor lock (burn out) it may have very well contaminated the refrigeration lines and coil.I'm from san jose and we don't charge that much for a simple a.c. change out. sounds like someones tryin to get the better part of your bank account, definitely get more estimates and don't disclose previous price quotes to competitors until they've given you a price. if you need more help lmk.

Ill definitely post up. Shit just paid 6k for new windows, 8k for new roof, all in the last 6 months. So 10k is harsh. This house is kickin my ass right now.
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:

Funk dat, we need about 15 CA Fords members, some heavy ass rope, wood to build a pulley support and my truck...... We can have it up there in 10 min! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Abandon him.

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 6 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hell yeah im in ill bring some beer to

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

SLPR93
¯
Member # 8769

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLPR93  Ford pictures for SLPR93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAN IF U LIVE BY MODESTO I WOULD HOOK U UP I CAN FIX ANY THING THE RITE WAY I CAN GET THE OLD UNIT TO WORK AS GOOD AS IT DID IF UR OK WITH WHAT U PAY FOR ELEC BILL AND IT COOLED THE HOUSE GOOD B4 THE BREAK DOWN Y BUY A NEW ONE BUY SOME MUSTANG PARTS INSTEAD HERE IS A BUDGET INSTALL I DID UNDER 60OO
 -

SLPR93
¯
Member # 8769

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SLPR93  Ford pictures for SLPR93  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

Funk dat, we need about 15 CA Fords members, some heavy ass rope, wood to build a pulley support and my truck...... We can have it up there in 10 min! [Big Grin]
LOL I DID A FREE JOB FOR A FRIEND OF MINE AND I TOOK THE UNIT APART A PUT IT BACK TOGETHER UP THER IT WAS JUST ME AND HIM LOL ITS THE BEANER IN ME LOL
N8
¯
Member # 6048

SLPR

Thanks for the info. As it stands right now, I think the roofers caused the damage and they have someone coming to check it out. I am actually located in Stockton so not too far from Modesto. The dude they had come check it out, didnt seem too knowledgeable, but I will see how it goes. I basically want this unit fixed so I can look into getting a new one. But to break bread 10k right now will hurt a brotha. But will if I have to.

I'll update. Thanks guys for the pm's and offers. I will be calling some of ya'll if this still goes bad.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
to break bread 10k right now will hurt a brotha.

Dumping 10K would hurt almost anyone right now! I hope the roofing company fixes the A/C for you and saves the money. I guess that right there shows how doing things the right way can save you money in the long run, if it had been some guy and his friend off Craigslist that did the roof you'd be out of luck.

--------------------

Abandon him.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
to break bread 10k right now will hurt a brotha.

Dumping 10K would hurt almost anyone right now! I hope the roofing company fixes the A/C for you and saves the money. I guess that right there shows how doing things the right way can save you money in the long run, if it had been some guy and his friend off Craigslist that did the roof you'd be out of luck.
Yea so far he seems straight up. but the dude he sent over seems like he is off craigslist...lol. But if he can get this unit to work and last through the summer I will have it replaced by next summer. Just not prepared to break bread right now. Shit almost made me cry..lol. Wife and I planned a New York, North Carolina and New Orleans trip. And this would have killed that.
MUSTTANGUY
¯
Member # 2251

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MUSTTANGUY  Ford pictures for MUSTTANGUY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nate:
Call Roterts (they are in the phone book)
I had them come out about a year ago and do some work on our system and the owner was cool and reasonably priced. They are a family owned business (son in-law now running)
I would definately use them again.

--------------------
Tim (Musttanguy)
97 5.0 coupe
82 GT 427/T56/9"

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Shit almost made me cry..lol. Wife and I planned a New York, North Carolina and New Orleans trip. And this would have killed that.

You see $10K and start thinking about all the shit you could buy. I'd just buy a nice car and drive around with the A/C on when it was hot.

--------------------

Abandon him.

N8
¯
Member # 6048

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by N8:
Shit almost made me cry..lol. Wife and I planned a New York, North Carolina and New Orleans trip. And this would have killed that.

You see $10K and start thinking about all the shit you could buy. I'd just buy a nice car and drive around with the A/C on when it was hot.
Funny thing is, money seems to find a way to go to something grown up anyway. lately my fun spending has been limited. If it isnt my house its the rental property, if it isnt that then its the kids, if it isnt that its the wife, if not that then its helping a family member out. Last thing I bought was the cobra, and event hat was for my son.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

update

The roofers paid for my A/C to be fixed, but I will still be replacing my old unit just not in this strict timeframe. I have the PM's of those of you who offered help and will hit you up when the time is right. Thanks for all the help and advice ya'll

[patriot]

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com