Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » SMOG VENT (RANT)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SMOG VENT (RANT)
5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am so sick of dealing with smog every two years, it makes me want to sell my stang! I go for my smog (test only, big suprise) and the worker at the local joint tells me that my BBK cai isn't legit. I tell him I know it is, I'll go home and print out the sheet from CARB that says so. I could put the stock air box back on, but I'd have to scrounge around for some hose and nuts and such, I'd rather just go get it done. I ask the guy before I leave if there is anything else he has a problem with before I leave and he tells me that everything else looks good.

I come back after driving home and printing out the info from CARB. Now the shop owner is dealing with me and he tells me he doesn't like the BBK shorty headers and say's that I'll have to prove to him they are legal. I compose myself for a bit and bring up what his worker told me, and the owner tells me that he won't pass it on the visual. He also tells me that I have to move this hose and that telling me they are too close to the headers. WTF does he care? If it passes the visual and the sniffer, why does he care if I burn something? The car has been running like this for three years.

It's now 4:45 and they close at 5. I had today to get this done and off my to do list. So I came home and printed out the CARB info that says the BBK shorties are good. Now I have to wait until next week to get this done! [Mad]

I think I'm a victim of Stang racism. I know people try to get by with this and that, but my car has everything it needs to be smog compliant. I'd take it somewhere else, but it would be the same story.

Rant over, thanks. I'm going to get drunk now.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
MachYou
¯
Member # 7934

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MachYou  Ford pictures for MachYou    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
why not just go to another smog shop? [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
All Bullshit Stops When the Hands Drop

Posts: 726 | From: California | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
Mr.Lucky
CAFords OG
Member # 1772

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr.Lucky  Ford pictures for Mr.Lucky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by itznotahighway:
why not just go to another smog shop? [Roll Eyes]

seriously +1 i had to go to 3 shops b4 i got passed.

--------------------
95GT: Bolt ons.
Good sellers/buyers: Stangs R Us, 1SicGt, sn4bwc, racsirx, WickedStang, Autumnstang97, cali95gt

5OHS5OH
¯
Member # 4665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5OHS5OH  Ford pictures for 5OHS5OH    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I guess I'm just too hard headed. Part of me wants to get this shop to pass my car so I can tell the owner off afterward. Probably not the smartest approach, but I gotta be me.

--------------------
89 Convertable GT
BBK Headers, cai

Posts: 1044 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
JOEFOX87
¯
Member # 8331

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOEFOX87  Ford pictures for JOEFOX87    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get all the CARB paperwork and go back. If they come up with the BS of this hose this or that hose overthere, then ask them where is stated or written as to things supposed to be done. If those don't work tell him to fcuk off.
Posts: 824 | From: Union City, California | Registered: Apr 2008  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had one smog shop tell me my msd spark plug wires weren't leagal I laughed and GTFO of there. LOL

The trick is to find a cool shop and hope they stay in business so you can keep coming back. Either that or pay the $300...

And also if the shop is cool they can look up the carb numbers for you.

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

TheBrain
I'm the Real
John Force
Member # 35

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheBrain  Ford pictures for TheBrain    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here is a link to the C.A.R.B approved parts list
This is the website the shop should be using to determine if a part is legal or not. C.A.R.B approved parts

When I lived in California, I was a smog tech. It was MY responsiblity, not the car owners to determine if a part was legal and this is what I used.

ALL approved exhaust components have the CARB number on them. If there were no numbers on the part itself, it was NOT legal. With that said, sometimes a part can get approval AFTER they have already sold them for quite sometime, case in point were my AFR 165 heads. I bought them prior to approval by the CARB.

But if you use that link above and go to cylinder heads you can see get the executive order number for AFR heads D-250-3
BBK headers have E.O number D-245-8

Good Luck

Brian

--------------------
1989 LX vert 342
11.662 @ 116.65 1.57 60ft. N/A
10.227 @ 134.59 1.41 60ft 200 shot 3600lbs
2003 Ranger 4 door
15.99 @ 87

Posts: 1264 | From: Back in Redding CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Ryan_LX
¯
Member # 7089

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ryan_LX  Ford pictures for Ryan_LX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
With the right smog tech and little extra cash anything will pass [Wink]

--------------------
Jesus is king!

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5OHS5OH:
I guess I'm just too hard headed. Part of me wants to get this shop to pass my car so I can tell the owner off afterward. Probably not the smartest approach, but I gotta be me.

You shoud've took N8 with you, things wouldve came to conclusion a LOT quicker [Big Grin]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com