Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Question for you Car Detailers

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for you Car Detailers
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wsup guys, the rims on my car are factory satin silver. They still have a nice factory clear-coat but they have YEARS & YEARS of stubborn brake dust caked in-between the spokes. This crap will come off with a wheel cleaner from an auto parts store a tooth brush and A LOT of time and elbow grease......... So my question is: Is there any tricks of the trade on getting this crap off in a timely fashion and without damaging the factory paint/clear on the rims.

Any advise will help thanks guys: : [patriot] [patriot]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Posts: 4425 | From: SAN MATEO | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
NorCalRydaz
¯
Member # 3233

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NorCalRydaz  Ford pictures for NorCalRydaz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would say go buy some rubbing compound. something that's not too fin or too corse. Something in between. Use a damp rag and apply by hand in a circle motion.
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for six 5.0  Ford pictures for six 5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by NorCalRydaz:
I would say go buy some rubbing compound. something that's not too fin or too corse. Something in between. Use a damp rag and apply by hand in a circle motion.

Tryed it... The compound works well with the leftovers. I need some thing to break the bulk of it down????

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Chris C.
¯
Member # 1949

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chris C.  Ford pictures for Chris C.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How about one of those DIY drive up car washes, use the high pressure water hose they have?

--------------------
-1990 Coupe

Posts: 636 | From: San Jose, Ca | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Dude I have 11/HP 4300/PSI Pressure/power washer... It steams up to 330* needless to say it doesn't do shit the brake build up [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Im getting it off with a scrubber and wheel cleaner. It's taking a long time though

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take em off, get some beers and a couple buddies and brush away.

Hell if you promise beer and pizza ill help you out.

Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

quote:
Originally posted by Pittsburg Mustang Owner:
take em off, get some beers and a couple buddies and brush away.

Hell if you promise beer and pizza ill help you out.

LOL....... Pizza & Beer on me.

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

Platinum Detail
¯
Member # 8026

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Platinum Detail  Ford pictures for Platinum Detail  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chris has a point the touchless car washes use hydrofloric acid to remove grim, tree sap, tar etc etc would you be able to post some pics?
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
here is some pics of some 03 cobra wheels that my boy did with some stuff that i have.

BEFORE

-

-

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

AFTER

-

-

[ April 08, 2009, 05:00 PM: Message edited by: F8LSN8K ]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mr clean earaser
six 5.0
¯
Member # 3153

Thats the crap im talking about x10.... What is the stuff you have??????

I tried Mr Clean Erasers.... After ALL the wheel cleaner I used, once i swiped the rim with the eraser it started to pull the paint [Frown]

[ April 09, 2009, 03:49 AM: Message edited by: six 5.0 ]

--------------------
IwishIwasan03COBRA!

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
simple green if that dont work its tooth brush time, if it aint gone then 360, 600, 1000 grit sandpaper then some primer followed by your choice of rattle can spray, a nice coupla layers of clear, then turtle wax polishing compound and top it off with a nice paste wax, or skip the tired arm and powdercoat them....... [patriot]

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by six 5.0:
Thats the crap im talking about x10.... What is the stuff you have??????

toilet bowl cleaner lol

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
 -

I used this when I had painted rims. Worked great! Just mist the wheel, then spray it on, scrub and wipe off.

If it's baked on the just spray and rub more.

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
try some 1200 grit sand paper then hit it with the compound the buff the shine back out. Just be easy with that sand paper on the corners, don't get carried away

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
 -

I used this when I had painted rims. Worked great! Just mist the wheel, then spray it on, scrub and wipe off.

If it's baked on the just spray and rub more.

that shit IS NOT gonna work. when brake dust get baked the fuck on the rims it is a pain in THE ass to get off even

--------------------
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd simple green it full concentrated with a tooth brush or the rough side of a dish sponge. Once you get them all cleaned up put on a couple coats of a good wax.

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
peanut butter and lemon juice
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
peanut butter and lemon juice

Say what?

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

hey it works for gum in your hair, why not try it LOL. If its baked on THAT bad I can't see it hurting anything
rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
I'd simple green it full concentrated with a tooth brush or the rough side of a dish sponge. Once you get them all cleaned up put on a couple coats of a good wax.

+1 im tellin ya simple green is shit

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com