Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » HIDs

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HIDs
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedStang  Ford pictures for WickedStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thinking of getting some HIDs for the mach after it comes back from the paint shop. Looking for info and some pics on 99-07 stangs. Heard good stuff about these: http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_55W_Slim_Ballast_HID_Kit-101-60.html

--------------------
04 mach1 BASSANI EXHAUST/C&L INTAKE
67STANG/CHP 347/BUILT C4/MOROSO DRAG SUSP.

Posts: 1581 | From: salinas831 | Registered: May 2007  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I love those kits, I bought a total of 5 kit from them, all with the upgraded wattage, no failures so far, the oldest one I got s about a couple of years now.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for WickedStang  Ford pictures for WickedStang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So u running the 55w? I want to go with those but not sure if it will work right on a 99-04 lights since it says 55s run hotter than the 35s on small lights. Dont want to mels my h.l. [Confused]

--------------------

MikeD.
¯
Member # 8060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MikeD.  Ford pictures for MikeD.    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just bought the ebay 60 dollar ones. There way bright and everyone flashes me when I drive by them. Didnt have any problems and were good quailty. Ive had them for about 2 months now no problems, but we'll see how long they last.

--------------------
1999 FRC Vette
12.77 @ 110

Posts: 2854 | From: Vacaville Ca, 707 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by WickedStang:
Thinking of getting some HIDs for the mach after it comes back from the paint shop. Looking for info and some pics on 99-07 stangs. Heard good stuff about these: http://www.ddmtuning.com/products/DDM_35W_55W_Slim_Ballast_HID_Kit-101-60.html

i have those on my taurus dude. i bought the 6k kit and looks coo. for the price i cant complain and they work fine till this day. i kinda wish i bought the 55w kit but eh oh well.

the ones on the snake, those are 10k and i bought those from here www.xenonlink.com
they are a lil more expensive but im real happy with them [patriot]

pm if u have anyway questions dude

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by At1Maverick69:
I love those kits, I bought a total of 5 kit from them, all with the upgraded wattage, no failures so far, the oldest one I got s about a couple of years now.

were any of them purchased for a fox?

--------------------
AP1 S2000

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

So what does everyone recommend..35w or 55w?

--------------------

BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Watch out if you go with 55 watt bulbs. I don't know if this would affect you, but on my fox when I put in 55 watt bulbs and have the fog lights on at the same time, the circuit breaker keeps tripping. Thus my headlights go on and off, which is not a good thing when you are driving in the dark. I downgraded to 45 watt bulbs and the problem went away. The circuit breaker is set for a maximum current flow and too much wattage will exceed that limit. Which is why they use a breaker instead of a fuse for the headlights - it comes back on by itself.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
quote:

were any of them purchased for a fox?
Yes, a couple was on a fox, 1 was a friend's 93 Cobra the other just a regular GT, I did the foglights on the GT too, so cool with HIDs, I believe I did it 2 years ago.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

quote:
Originally posted by WickedStang:
So u running the 55w? I want to go with those but not sure if it will work right on a 99-04 lights since it says 55s run hotter than the 35s on small lights. Dont want to mels my h.l. [Confused]

That's the lovely thing about HIDs, they run a bit cooler than conventional halogens, depends on the kit u get though, stay with anything below 10k units and you'll be happy, they're brighter, bluish white in color and you're not gonna mess up your lenses.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just make sure you get the wire harness that hooks up to the battery. Over time it puts stress on the wires where you plug and play. Just a lil insurance to let the HIDs last longer

--------------------
*Sleeper GT* nuff said

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

And please, ground the ballast first before installing the harness to it, it just might save your ballast

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

uh0h50
CAFords OG
Member # 3125

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for uh0h50  Ford pictures for uh0h50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
And please, ground the ballast first before installing the harness to it, it just might save your ballast

edit: how much do the kits usually run you? luckily my 86 uses the 9004 bulbs but they suck ass and nighttime visibility is shit.

[ April 09, 2009, 09:15 PM: Message edited by: uh0h50 ]

Posts: 2926 | From: Bay Area 510 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
cobra_302_stang
¯
Member # 7257

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra_302_stang  Ford pictures for cobra_302_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I bought my HID 6k kit from a guy locally for my Mach it's all plugs n play. It all connects to your stock connections. I've has then for a year now with no problems. Big improvement over the stock lights. He stocks kits for almost very car make and also has LEDs for the lights inside of the car.

--------------------
~HighSpeed Motorsports~

Posts: 416 | From: Redwood city | Registered: Nov 2006  |  :
WickedStang
¯
Member # 7692

quote:
Originally posted by cobra_302_stang:
I bought my HID 6k kit from a guy locally for my Mach it's all plugs n play. It all connects to your stock connections. I've has then for a year now with no problems. Big improvement over the stock lights. He stocks kits for almost very car make and also has LEDs for the lights inside of the car.

Nice! Did u get 35 or 55w? Any pics? pm price & location. Thanks

--------------------

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MikeD.:
I just bought the ebay 60 dollar ones. There way bright and everyone flashes me when I drive by them. Didnt have any problems and were good quailty. Ive had them for about 2 months now no problems, but we'll see how long they last.

i can say that they are pretty bad ass (i dont know if his are they 8k or 6k) they are blindingly bright though and now that i think about it i think he went 8k so you might wanna go 6k if you dont want a po-po trouble, although im gonna go 8k cause they look sooooooo damn good, [Whoo Whooooo!] ebay

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

quote:
Originally posted by uh0h50:
quote:

edit: how much do the kits usually run you? luckily my 86 uses the 9004 bulbs but they suck ass and nighttime visibility is shit.
They start for as low as $70, depends if you want to have hi/low beams. stay 8k or lower, like he said above, po pos won't like the purple tint on the higher temp ones, I haven't had any problems with my SN95, I have 8ks

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD

rollin5ive0
¯
Member # 8592

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for rollin5ive0  Ford pictures for rollin5ive0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my lil bro got the ebay ones for 50 or 60 shipped!

--------------------
875.0gt
90dtlx5.0
93blkvenumos5.0COBRA#3377
96redthundr4.6l4vCOBRA
964.6l2vGT
895.0lGT
93cleancorlgreen5.0GT
93meancoralgreen5.0GT

Posts: 1830 | From: 707 vacaville ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  :
LQ9SN95
¯
Member # 7080

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for LQ9SN95  Ford pictures for LQ9SN95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
10k's FTW [dance]

--------------------
http://www.fastgms-teamfast.com
http://www.facebook.com/aop.fresno?ref=ts&fref=ts
Lq9 swap
102 fast intake
Trick flow heads
T rex cam

Posts: 8031 | From: Fresno, Ca | Registered: Sep 2006  |  :
AbominableSnoman...
¯
Member # 8290

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AbominableSnoman...  Ford pictures for AbominableSnoman...    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
theres a guy in san lorenzo i always go to...

good quality sh*t, gives you a 1 yr warranty, but with so many customers he forgets.. i brought a car back one time after an accident saying my ballast just went out, and he replaced it! for free, i got hids on it 2.5 yrs prior to this.

he's a little pricier, but any issue you have, hell take care of it. you cant put a price on reliability. remember you get what you pay for.

55watts, 8000k... FTW! on all my rides i ever got. had 35 watts on my old 5.0, and the 55 watts did a huge difference, HUGE. never had a problem with heat, or short circuit issues.

this guy knows his stuff.

--------------------
"I aint no crip, but i bleed blue..."

Sco Cuddie
¯
Member # 6757

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sco Cuddie  Ford pictures for Sco Cuddie    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shmayleen:
theres a guy in san lorenzo i always go to...

good quality sh*t, gives you a 1 yr warranty, but with so many customers he forgets.. i brought a car back one time after an accident saying my ballast just went out, and he replaced it! for free, i got hids on it 2.5 yrs prior to this.

he's a little pricier, but any issue you have, hell take care of it. you cant put a price on reliability. remember you get what you pay for.

55watts, 8000k... FTW! on all my rides i ever got. had 35 watts on my old 5.0, and the 55 watts did a huge difference, HUGE. never had a problem with heat, or short circuit issues.

this guy knows his stuff.

So whos the guy?

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com