Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » ebay vs. paypal

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: ebay vs. paypal
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just sold 2 rockford fosgate t30001 bd amps on ebay. the buyer sent over the amount to my paypal account. ebay gots the amount on hold till i ship out and/or get a positive feedback.

is this a scam or something i should worry about? would hate not to get my funds.

--------------------
1998 Cobra SVT convertible
Bright Atlantic Blue (1 of 247)

20 year club.

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ebay = paypal.

but i dont know what to tell ya.

Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like a scam, eBay won't hold your money so check you PayPal account to make sure the money has been transferred. If you got an email from eBay saying they have your money and you need to ship before getting it then your getting scammed.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
never have I seen that before unless you are a first time or unverified seller...

I sell items on ebay all the time and can withdraw the money the day I receive it.....

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stanger50  Ford pictures for stanger50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
paypal shows the amount has been transferred to my paypal account but, it says theres a hold. i click the hold link and its from ebay stating that the funds wont be released till 1 of the 3 options have been met.

1. positive feedback
2. shipping delivery has been conferred
3. no claims or disputes.

what should i do??

--------------------

20 year club.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just found your auction, the guy who made the offer is a brand new user..... this is a scam. Forward the email to eBay through the security center and have them shut that account down.

--------------------

Abandon him.

Tashas_c0upe
¯
Member # 8969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tashas_c0upe  Ford pictures for Tashas_c0upe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
THESE DAMN SCAMS ARE STARTING TO PISS ME OFF I'M OVER HERE TRYING TO BUY A CAR FOR MY GIRLFRIEND AND IT SEEMS LIKE WHEN I COME ACROSS A GOOD DEAL THEY WANT TO CHANGE THE STORY UP WHEN I E-MAIL THEM THEY TALKING ABOUT SENT ME THE MONEY THROUGH EBAY AND THE CAR WILL BE SHIPPED OUT OF UK, THIS SHIT IS REALLY ANNOYING. [Mad]

--------------------
SALVAGE CAR'S ARE LIKE GURL'S WITH AIDS I PASS EM UP

Posts: 723 | From: South San Francisco | Registered: Feb 2009  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
never have I seen that before unless you are a first time or unverified seller...

I sell items on ebay all the time and can withdraw the money the day I receive it.....

ive never had this issue before and been registered on ebay since 2001 with 100% feedback. not sure what is going on. too afraid to ship and not get my funds.

--------------------

20 year club.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
I just found your auction, the guy who made the offer is a brand new user..... this is a scam. Forward the email to eBay through the security center and have them shut that account down.

one hell of a life saver bro. i owe you one for sure. [worship]

do i refund it or report his ass?

--------------------

20 year club.

CornOil_&_Boost
¯
Member # 5888

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CornOil_&_Boost  Ford pictures for CornOil_&_Boost    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stanger50:
quote:

report his ass first and let the money sit...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/pushrodpoweredmustangs
'95 Cobra - small engine / small turbo -
'02 Excursion 7.3 - tow vehicle
'14 - Chevy Volt - DD

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
paypal shows the amount has been transferred to my paypal account but, it says theres a hold. i click the hold link and its from ebay stating that the funds wont be released till 1 of the 3 options have been met.

1. positive feedback
2. shipping delivery has been conferred
3. no claims or disputes.

what should i do??

I feel its a scam, email eBay and PayPal to make sure this is legit. If they hold your money hostage like that its BS, the person paid you for shipping and what if you need those funds to ship the item? This is what I hate about eBay now, you can only use PayPal, that eBay owns, to sell so they make even more profit..... almost as bad as the Nigerian scams.

--------------------

Abandon him.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
quote:

Just email both eBay and PayPal to make sure its legit. I've been using both eBay and PayPal since 98 and things have gotten worse over the last year or so with the BS they pull on you.

--------------------

Abandon him.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:

you nailed it! hes a first time buyer. on my paypal account, it states hes also a unverified seller. thanks for the help fella's. [patriot]

im now SCAMLESS! [Big Grin]

--------------------

20 year club.

68dustin
CAFords OG
Member # 5388

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 68dustin  Ford pictures for 68dustin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i dont ship anything until the money has left my pay pal account and is in my reg-bank account. Too much bs out there now a days.. When i sell something my excuse is i need the money to pay for shipping...
Posts: 3986 | From: neverland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Guys,

Its most likely not a scam BUT:

The same thing happened to my girl. She is a new seller. She sold an item and because she had less then a certain rating (I forget), paypal put a hold on the money until she provided the tracking information that the item shipped.

It is NOT a scam if the money is in your paypal account

You can email Paypal and ask about the hold and they will tell you what I said above. My girl got the money 3 released 3 days after she provided tracking informatino just like the email says.

Thanks,

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

The biggest problem is the buyer has all the leverage if PayPal is holding the money. They can claim you shipped them a box of bricks and want their money back. I've seen this happen with a person that had over 1000 all positive feedback. Shipped the item and even used PayPal to pay for and print the shipping label from them so there was no question the package was shipped. The buyer said they didn't get the package so they got their money back. She even shipped to a confirmed address just like PayPal says you have to do to be covered. No matter what, be very careful with this much money in question.

--------------------

Abandon him.

stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

quote:
The biggest problem is the buyer has all the leverage if PayPal is holding the money. They can claim you shipped them a box of bricks and want their money back. I've seen this happen with a person that had over 1000 all positive feedback. Shipped the item and even used PayPal to pay for and print the shipping label from them so there was no question the package was shipped. The buyer said they didn't get the package so they got their money back. She even shipped to a confirmed address just like PayPal says you have to do to be covered. No matter what, be very careful with this much money in question.

........and this is why im NOT shipping out anything. you have to trust the buyer who you have no idea is, to leave you a positive feedback so your funds will clear. same goes with the box full of bricks.....or it didnt arrive. im sure UPS with back up there shipping through tracking but..........not taking the chance. i sent the buyer an email that i was going to have this handled through ebay and paypal just in case this is a scam. part of me thinks somewhat of this transaction is fine. im not going to continue it just in case this is a full blown SCAM.

--------------------

20 year club.

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
quote:

........and this is why im NOT shipping out anything. you have to trust the buyer who you have no idea is, to leave you a positive feedback so your funds will clear. same goes with the box full of bricks.....or it didnt arrive. im sure UPS with back up there shipping through tracking but..........not taking the chance. i sent the buyer an email that i was going to have this handled through ebay and paypal just in case this is a scam. part of me thinks somewhat of this transaction is fine. im not going to continue it just in case this is a full blown SCAM.
So what's the worst that could happen, you get a neg feedback? I'll take a neg feedback over being out a ton of cash any day. He was a new user and had no feedback, I wouldn't have accepted his offer just based on that.

--------------------

Abandon him.

mustang928
¯
Member # 2123

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustang928  Ford pictures for mustang928    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Call paypal and ask them if this is legit... As stated above ebay/payal are the same.
Posts: 333 | From: CALIFORNIA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
stanger50
20yr club
Member # 1665

its 50-50 that this is legit. something new/different ebay + paypal are doing. the thing that gets me is, what if the buyer reports a fail claim towards me? there goes my money..........plus amps!

edit: i emailed the buyer multible times prior aution ending and he gets back to me within 10 mins. i sent him an email regarding this possible scam, hadnt heard a word since. this was hours ago.

thanks for all the feedback guys. [patriot]

--------------------

20 year club.

Venomized93
Founding Member
Member # 55

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Venomized93  Ford pictures for Venomized93    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It's LEGIT, meaning the policy that is being enforced at the moment. My last three transaction went like this. I sold the item, payment was made immediately to my PAYPAL account, amount was held, Sent item, waited for feedback or updated tracking number on PAYPAL website. All three transactions went well, thank god! But that doesn't mean that the BUYER is legit. I never sell to new Ebayers or feedback less than 10. Even then, I sold my IPHONE last year and someone hijacked someones EBAY and PAYPAL account and made a unathorized payment to my account. Luckily enough, PAYPAL notified me before the phone was sent out. This was an EBAY of over 100+ feedback with a VERIFIED paypal account, but UNCONFIRMED address.

Basically, you really need to be really careful and sell only to high feedbacks, even then there is still risk involved, like I mentioned before. Overall though, I've never been scammed on EBAY or PAYPAL succesfully. I've sold many high items in the $300-$400 range.

[ March 31, 2009, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Venomized93 ]

--------------------
2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Posts: 2077 | From: San Francisco, California | Registered: Oct 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com