Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Pitbull Question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Pitbull Question?
Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an eleven month old pitbull. She keeps scratching at her ears. I bought a DermaPet solution called MalAcetic Otic (Ear/Skin Cleanser for pets) at a pitbull dog show in woodland. I was wondering if anyone has used this before or has ever heard of this being used on dog ears. Any info would be appreciated.Thanks

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

Beasty5.0
¯
Member # 2935

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beasty5.0  Ford pictures for Beasty5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I assume you already checked that she has no ticks, since you put cleaning solution in her ears. Apart from that there are two other items that I can think of: 1. She has ear infections in both ears. If she is constantly shaking her head and/or scratching them, then that may be an indication. 2) She has allergies, which causes her to scratch at her ears. If that is the case, do you notice her scratching her underbody alot? Does she have many hotspots? Does she lick her paws alot?

When I got my pit when he was a puppy (around 6 months), I noticed similar symptoms with him as he got older, so I took him to a Vet and they did a skin test and turned out he was allergic to many things like carrots, pork, beets, barley and almost every freakin tree out here, so I have always had him on special food and bendaryl, but when it got really bad I gave him corticosteroids shots. Also, dogs with allergies often have ear problems.

Posts: 1055 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My female pit does the same things, but she is allergic to everything.

Her main allergy is grass [Mad]

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

warhorse58gt
¯
Member # 7702

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for warhorse58gt  Ford pictures for warhorse58gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when you look in her ear what do you see? is there a blackish build up? if there is a lot of this. she might have ear mites. also does she still have her floppy ears? she could just be getting dirt/ sweat build up..

[ March 25, 2009, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: warhorse58gt ]

--------------------
WOLFPACK RACING

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

83gt 354ci sbf 9.40 @ 143
77 cobra 2 171ci 97hp of pure fury!

Stimpys 5.0
¯
Member # 5829

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stimpys 5.0  Ford pictures for Stimpys 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i took her to the vet, and they said it would be like 300+ just to clean her ears, and then the antibiotics. but from what i can tell her ears seem to be pretty clean aside from a little ashy(sp).

beasty: she doesnt shake her head at all, but she does love it when i rub her ears,i guess she feels relived. she does licks her paws like no other, when she comes inside the house. i finally yes she does have constant rash/red spots under her front underarms.

and i havent used the solution yet im wondering if this will help, and is it ok to use on her. they tell me to pour the solution in her ear and massage it then use a q-tip to get the excess stuff out.

thanks for your replys guys

--------------------
1989 burgundy coupe
1968 mustang 289 - 4 speed
1989 white lx (totalled)

Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Beasty5.0:
2) She has allergies, which causes her to scratch at her ears. If that is the case, do you notice her scratching her underbody alot? Does she have many hotspots? Does she lick her paws alot?

wow ive noticed that my dog has done everything you listed and never even assumed it could have been allergies. Luckily i still have benedryl from when he got bit by a spider and his head swole up. Good lookin!
Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are her ears hot or inflamed red/pink? any kind of odor comming from her ears. Have you used that vet before ? or did U just drive down the st. and see a vet and pull in and take the pup in ? Sounds more or less like a yeast(yes yeast) infection in her ear... most likely I'd find a better vet that isnt going to take you for a ride to give your dog some ear wash to get rid of the infection . . . .

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Guys,

For the allergies, to not spend money at the vet, I will post some vet approved home remedies that relieve the itching and stop the cracked sking. I dont rememeber the name of the two lotions, but you use them in conjunction with Vasoline.

Will let you know when I get home today.

Thanks,

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

Fast_Bitch
¯
Member # 2316

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fast_Bitch  Ford pictures for Fast_Bitch  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 90gtvert:
but you use them in conjunction with Vasoline.

Becareful with any thing oil based (vasoline,etc) the tend to attrack more dirt... and it sticks and can get nasty ....

--------------------
www.GirlsFmx.com

Think you can keep up ?

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

quote:
Originally posted by Fast_Bitch:
quote:
but you use them in conjunction with Vasoline.

Becareful with any thing oil based (vasoline,etc) the tend to attrack more dirt... and it sticks and can get nasty ....
Exactly, its a lot of work to keep clean but the dog will be less stressed and you will save a ton of money [Smile]

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Hey Guys,

For the allergies, to not spend money at the vet, I will post some vet approved home remedies that relieve the itching and stop the cracked sking. I dont rememeber the name of the two lotions, but you use them in conjunction with Vasoline.

Will let you know when I get home today.

Thanks,

Mike

I'd be interested, my neighbors pitt is allergic to grass too...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to the vet. The sooner the better. If my dog does anything out of the norm he goes strait to the vet. Might be a little costly but at least I know he's being taken care of.

The hardest part is finding a good vet. We learned that the hard and expensive way. You'll know once you find a good one.

Best of luck.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com