Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » insurance question

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: insurance question
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my uncle just got in an accident last night in his '92 GT, not his fault. the other person's insurance is progressive. the car got towed back to his house b/c it was late in the evening. progressive wants to come to his house to look at the damage and i told him not to let them see the car until it's at the shop and they can go over the estimate with the body shop.

what do you guys think is better, let them come to the house to do the estimate or get the car to the shop first and have them work with the shop for an estimate? i just don't want them to screw him out.

solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whats wrong with them seeing the car at the house?

my brother's car got hit when it was parked a few times. they get the estimator to look at it, write a check, and if the damage costs more than that, they write another

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well, i was afraid that if they estimate it to be less than what it's going to cost to fix the car that he would be screwed once he signs off on that estimate.
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for solbrothers  Ford pictures for solbrothers    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the first time my brosef's car was hit, they wrote him a check for $900. because the damage was only a ding in hte fender. the second time they wrote him a check for $1200, because it looked like the wheel was hit too. it ended up having a bent upper control arm. he "could" have taken it to a shop and all that, but decided to replace the control arm himself and pocket the rest of the $$$$.

he does all his own bodywork and paint, so he didnt even worry about the dings haha

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

was this with progressive? for sure we can't fix the damage ourselves.
Jesse
¯
Member # 312

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse  Ford pictures for Jesse    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd let them come to the house. If it winds up costing more they can reopen the claim. I've done it before with State Farm without any problems.

Jesse

Posts: 1342 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  :
solbrothers
¯
Member # 7524

quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
was this with progressive? for sure we can't fix the damage ourselves.

dont remember their insurance companies.

--------------------
2100+ posts, 15 useful

siri95
CAFords OG
Member # 2840

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for siri95  Ford pictures for siri95  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
my uncle just got in an accident last night in his '92 GT, not his fault. the other person's insurance is progressive. the car got towed back to his house b/c it was late in the evening. progressive wants to come to his house to look at the damage and i told him not to let them see the car until it's at the shop and they can go over the estimate with the body shop.

what do you guys think is better, let them come to the house to do the estimate or get the car to the shop first and have them work with the shop for an estimate? i just don't want them to screw him out.

A Adjuster will go to your house to see the damages. I'm pretty sure they have a check list similar to your local body shop. IF your not happy with the amount they quoted... your more than welcome to take ur car to a body shop and get your own quote..

I suggest to have that Adjuster to come over and just see what they quote you.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GT (sold)
1992 Ford F-150 XLT (sold)
1986 Mustang SVO (sold)

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

the thing is we have no idea what it's going to cost to fix the car so whatever number they throw at him will mean nothing. it has to go to the shop either way. we just don't want to be responsible for the tow charge, but they won't authorize the tow unless they can come look at the car first.

he only has liability on the car so his insurance won't cover anything.

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com