Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » Registering out of state vehicle??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Registering out of state vehicle??
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was wondering if anyone knew what all is involved in registering an out of state vehicle. The car is supposedly an original Ca car, but the guy moved out of state then moved back to Ca and never registered it with his current address.

Are there certain fees involved? Special inspection?

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleenssc14  Ford pictures for Saleenssc14    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does he have the states pink slip?

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

Posts: 1156 | From: Union City | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes, he has the out of state title

--------------------

Saleenssc14
¯
Member # 7791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saleenssc14  Ford pictures for Saleenssc14    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
then as long as the car is 50 state legal not 49 all u have to do is pay transfer fees, and new reg fees maybe smog

--------------------
Carlos Munoz

Posts: 1156 | From: Union City | Registered: Jul 2007  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

So theres no inspection process required?

--------------------

stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

nope. i bought a car that was last registered in alaska and the process is just like any other car you would buy in CA. just have the seller smog it first.
BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
still going to have to do a vin verification.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlowN67:

Yup need to get a vin verifaction. Local police office will come to you house and fill out the form for you for free. Or you can have DMV do it

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
quote:

Yup need to get a vin verifaction. Local police office will come to you house and fill out the form for you for free. Or you can have DMV do it
+1 I had to do this with the Mystic because it was from Texas. Took it to the DMV and it took her half a min to do the inspection and that was it.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
quote:
Originally posted by 1SLOWLX:
quote:

+1 I had to do this with the Mystic because it was from Texas. Took it to the DMV and it took her half a min to do the inspection and that was it.
What do they actually do? Just verify the vin on the dash to the vin on the title and thats it? WOuld I be able to just go to a CHP office and have them check it...since it'd be SOOOO much quicker than DMV?

--------------------

BlowN67
¯
Member # 4229

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlowN67  Ford pictures for BlowN67    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they check vin to dash/door/maybe one more in ehgine bay or trunk something to that sort. yes chp office can do it too. sometimes u might need to make an appointment with them too.

--------------------
AIM gonein67 JOHN
* californiafords.com
* corral.net
* foureyedpride.com
* yellowbullet.com
* theturboforums.com

Posts: 9809 | From: Home of LARD | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
call ur local pd. They will send someone to your house same day. Just have the form ready and he will fill it out right in front of you. Or if you know a cop have him do it.

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

91CHP_Coupe
¯
Member # 7686

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91CHP_Coupe  Ford pictures for 91CHP_Coupe    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stangin':
quote:
Originally posted by SydeWaySix:

nope. i bought a car that was last registered in alaska and the process is just like any other car you would buy in CA. just have the seller smog it first.
Wut about if the car came from a state that didnt require smog??? Then you would have to smog it in ca once u get the car registered here???

--------------------
69 Mach 1
91 Coupe HCI. SOLD
04 DSG Mach 1

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
all car coming in to the state 75 newr have to me smoged
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

One last question...does the smog have to be done at a Smog station, a test only station, or either?

--------------------

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The initial smog can be done at any shop, after that you might get flagged for test only. If the car your bringing in is 100% legal I wouldn't worry about taking it to CHP but if your running an off road pipe or something under the hood not legal I'd fear them looking for that shit during the inspection..... I can't say for sure but I'd rather play it safe and go to DMV where they don't look for shit other than the VIN numbers. They only checked the one on my dash when I took the Cobra in.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
The initial smog can be done at any shop, after that you might get flagged for test only. If the car your bringing in is 100% legal I wouldn't worry about taking it to CHP but if your running an off road pipe or something under the hood not legal I'd fear them looking for that shit during the inspection..... I can't say for sure but I'd rather play it safe and go to DMV where they don't look for shit other than the VIN numbers. They only checked the one on my dash when I took the Cobra in.

Thanks!!! Whats the difference between a regular smog shop and a test only station? dont they do the same thing?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com