Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » My Rottweiler Will Not Stop Barking!!!! (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: My Rottweiler Will Not Stop Barking!!!!
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have three dogs right now, 1 male German Shepherd/Pitbull mix, 1 female rottweiler and 1 male rottweiler. I did have another female rott, she was great, no problems, she died of cancer. My other female rottweiler is great also, but my male rott, is the worst dog I have ever had, he will bark all night long from 10pm to 6am every night, my neighbors are getting pissed, so I end up having to put him in his kennel at night, I hate doing this. He also likes to jump my 5 foot gate into my pool area every day, I have never had a dog act up as much as him, is it just how male rotts are? Are they slow learners or what? My other dogs are great they know exactly what I am wanting from them, like not entering house until they are told to or leave the yard if the side gate is open.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
03gtPONY
¯
Member # 5337

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03gtPONY  Ford pictures for 03gtPONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on the dog really. I've had three pitbulls and two were the most laid back dogs ever. Then I had one that was just wild like your dog. All my pits were male as is my current pit. No matter how I tried to train the freak from hell he would act like he was on crack. Some said neutering would help calm him down, so i did that. It didnt help. But what I noticed is walking him regularly would tame him. You dont have to walk far. you can walk your rott for like two blocks. But walk, then run, then walk, then run throughout the whole walk and that should help. Exercise is key. If you're too lazy to walk you can always buy a treadmill, but they get kinda pricey for good ones.

--------------------
*Sleeper GT* nuff said

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Some people get pissed off about it but I would suggest a shock collar. My neighbor had a dog that would bark all night, I was so pissed I was going to throw the king size chocolate bars by the dozen over the fence. She got the shock collar and that put an end to it quickly.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03gtPONY:
It depends on the dog really. I've had three pitbulls and two were the most laid back dogs ever. Then I had one that was just wild like your dog. All my pits were male as is my current pit. No matter how I tried to train the freak from hell he would act like he was on crack. Some said neutering would help calm him down, so i did that. It didnt help. But what I noticed is walking him regularly would tame him. You dont have to walk far. you can walk your rott for like two blocks. But walk, then run, then walk, then run throughout the whole walk and that should help. Exercise is key. If you're too lazy to walk you can always buy a treadmill, but they get kinda pricey for good ones.

+1, ive had my male pit since 02, and hes been waking me up and making me get out of bed ever since...He too is a wild child haha, i also tried getting him neutered to see if he would calm down, but nothing really changed..He does quiet down a little bit when he goes for a walk but its a GAURAN-DAMN-TEE that his ass will wake me up every morning no matter how much i yell at him...

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SAMACH1  Ford pictures for SAMACH1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
.....and i also tried using a shock-collar, but decided that it wasnt worth using on him because he would still bark with it on....

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe i missed it how old is the dog?? maybe he hasn't adjusted to your house yet did you just get him?? i agree with above exercise is a must. and i'm sure if you keep using the shock collar he will catch on or maybe you got a retarded dog? lol. rotts are good dogs i had a couple growing up.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SAMACH1:
.....and i also tried using a shock-collar, but decided that it wasnt worth using on him because he would still bark with it on....

I've read this can happen but know of a few dogs that have them and they work. It never hurts to try anyway. Its funny, they know when you take it off they can bark again because they get all crazy and bark a whole bunch.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How old is the dog? Neutering will help a tad at a young age but pups still have a lot of energy so its not very noticeable. So you'll see the effects when they get older. Mostly importantly wear that sucka out by exercising him. Dogs will act up if they have pent up energy. Rotts can be very hard headed and if so you gotta show him the "tough" love. Always be the leader. There's nothing wrong with putting him in the kennel at night dogs see it as a cave so they feel secure. Bark collar do work well sometimes. Boy dogs in general are more immature then females and tend to learn slower. Kinda like the human race.

Dogs usually bark at night because A. They have too much energy and have not been exercised enough, B. They are trying to protect the house and are trying to warn anything and everything to stay away, C. They call out to other dogs, D. Night makes them nervous and they feel scared/lonely. That's most of what I can think of off the top of my head. You have to find out the reason why he's barking so much at night then you can put a stop to it. But from my experience its usually because they have not exercised enough so they don't sleep through the night.

I've had rotts much of my whole life. Good dogs but I can't have anymore of them because they have too many health problems. So I know the breed well.

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We had a remote controlled shock collar on my dog. Him just wearing it would keep him from barking. But one day I was sitting on the couch and the dog was in the the corning tiwtching and shit and flopping his paws on his head. Turns out I was sitting on the remote. For how long I don't know...maybe a few seconds...longer than I've ever shocked him thats for sure. I threw it away after that and just let him bark. Fuckit.

Call Cesar man...maybe he can help.

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

quote:
Originally posted by cummins:
How old is the dog? Neutering will help a tad at a young age but pups still have a lot of energy so its not very noticeable. So you'll see the effects when they get older. Mostly importantly wear that sucka out by exercising him. Dogs will act up if they have pent up energy. Rotts can be very hard headed and if so you gotta show him the "tough" love. Always be the leader. There's nothing wrong with putting him in the kennel at night dogs see it as a cave so they feel secure. Bark collar do work well sometimes. Boy dogs in general are more immature then females and tend to learn slower. Kinda like the human race.

Dogs usually bark at night because A. They have too much energy and have not been exercised enough, B. They are trying to protect the house and are trying to warn anything and everything to stay away, C. They call out to other dogs, D. Night makes them nervous and they feel scared/lonely. That's most of what I can think of off the top of my head. You have to find out the reason why he's barking so much at night then you can put a stop to it. But from my experience its usually because they have not exercised enough so they don't sleep through the night.

I've had rotts much of my whole life. Good dogs but I can't have anymore of them because they have too many health problems. So I know the breed well.

i know how you feel man, i think that they are one of the smartests breeds out there, forsure smarter then my pit haha, but they do have a lot of health problems, especially there hips.

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

SAMACH1
¯
Member # 7042

quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
We had a remote controlled shock collar on my dog. Him just wearing it would keep him from barking. But one day I was sitting on the couch and the dog was in the the corning tiwtching and shit and flopping his paws on his head. Turns out I was sitting on the remote. For how long I don't know...maybe a few seconds...longer than I've ever shocked him thats for sure. I threw it away after that and just let him bark. Fuckit.

Call Cesar man...maybe he can help.

LOL i know its mean but thats sorta funny haha, i remember the shock collar going off in my hand before, doesnt really hurt just weird sorta like a static shock/vibration...im wondering if Ceasar Milan would come to the bay and make my dog stop barking too....

--------------------
- STREET ACTIONS CC -
Advanced Auto Built
Bob Kurgan Tuned

98 GT
¯
Member # 7944

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98 GT  Ford pictures for 98 GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i had a male rott. i had to end up giving it away because i couldnt take care of him. He would tear up the whole backyard and he would try to fit any dog he saw and sometimes he would growl at my Dad. He was only loyal to me but he was stupid as hell one day he would learn not to do something but the minute i took my eyes off him he would go crazy and destroy everything.
DRIVINFST
¯
Member # 2430

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DRIVINFST  Ford pictures for DRIVINFST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
More exercise will help. When he runs through the doors before you he is challenging your domininence, you should put that in check quick. The breeder I got my german shepard from used a citronella spray collar on one of her dogs so he wouldn't bark, it sprays citronella in their face and the hate it.
Posts: 555 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
Pittsburg Mustang Owner
¯
Member # 6100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pittsburg Mustang Owner  Ford pictures for Pittsburg Mustang Owner    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy. take him for a long walk or just excercise him and he should be good.
Posts: 1019 | From: Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
essasin
¯
Member # 4741

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for essasin  Ford pictures for essasin    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a dog that is exactly like that. He will bark all night, tear shit up in the backyard unless I bring him out everyday and have him run around for at least half an hour to get him tired or until he is satisfied.

He's a good dog just has tons of energy.

FoX GT
¯
Member # 4587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FoX GT  Ford pictures for FoX GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 03gtPONY:
But walk, then run, then walk, then run throughout the whole walk and that should help. Exercise is key.

LOL. I want to see Lee run.

--------------------
- AED -
03 Cobra 10th anni 3.4 Whipple 9.47@141
2012 Mustang GT 10.98@125
2015 Mustang GT

Bring what you got and hope its enough!

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bummer I have had a few Rotts and still have a Female they are great dogs(most of them) I had a lab once that would not stop barking. We did the shock collar thing, that worked well unless it rained and it shorted out. He would sit on top of his dog house in the rain and bark. We moved to a new neighborhood and we got one complaint. I did not want to have him put down. I ended up taking him in and having the surgery done to remove his vocal cords. He could make a tiny little woof you could barely hear. That way he could bark all he wanted and never bother anyone. He was happy and the neighbors were happy. It was not cheap but well worth it. Good luck

[ February 23, 2009, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: 2stangs69-91 ]

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
Bummer I have had a few Rotts and still have a Female they are great dogs(most of them) I had a lab once that would not stop barking. We did the shock collar thing, that worked well unless it rained and it shorted out. He would sit on top of his dog house in the rain and bark. We moved to a new neighborhood and we got one complaint. I did not want to have him put down. I ended up taking him in and having the surgery done to remove his vocal cords. He could make a tiny little woof you could barely hear. That way he could bark all he wanted and never bother anyone. He was happy and the neighbors were happy. It was not cheap but well worth it. Good luck

Thats fucked up [Eek!]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yup, sounds like he has a lot of pent up energy. Run that dog silly, if you dont have time, then get a treadmill. That will most likely settle them down.

Next, I would say is the training/shock collar. Not the bark collar, but the one with a remote, adjustable shock level, and a warning tone.

I have only had to use the actuall shock portion only a few time, but both of pits know what the warning sound means. They always get the beep and they back down. Heck they are smart enough to know what the remote is. All I have to do when they are acting up is show them the remote and the get in line.

Mike

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by racsirx:
I have three dogs right now, 1 male German Shepherd/Pitbull mix, 1 female rottweiler and 1 male rottweiler. I did have another female rott, she was great, no problems, she died of cancer. My other female rottweiler is great also, but my male rott, is the worst dog I have ever had, he will bark all night long from 10pm to 6am every night, my neighbors are getting pissed, so I end up having to put him in his kennel at night, I hate doing this. He also likes to jump my 5 foot gate into my pool area every day, I have never had a dog act up as much as him, is it just how male rotts are? Are they slow learners or what? My other dogs are great they know exactly what I am wanting from them, like not entering house until they are told to or leave the yard if the side gate is open.

I cant imagine Lee running either..

I say put that dog on a treadmil [Big Grin]

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
2Coupes
¯
Member # 5617

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2Coupes  Ford pictures for 2Coupes    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would shut that thing up before a neighbor trys the hotdog trick.

--------------------
91Coupe-347,tremec tko, 373's
68Coupe-GT40heads,crane2031cam,victor jr,tremec3550,3.55's
R.I.P. silverlx

Posts: 201 | From: Healdsburg, CA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  :
racsirx
CAFords OG
Member # 1710

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racsirx  Ford pictures for racsirx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks guys, he just turned 1, I have had him since he was a pup, he is neutered I do have a bark collar, I have had 3 of them, they seem to get pulled off when the dogs play with each other, the bark collar doesnt stop the barking but it does reduce it. I know I need to exercise him more, since putting in the pool the yard got reduce where we would play.

--------------------
88 Saleen #564
88 GT 331 NOVI2000
88 Coupe TURBO 9.75@142
95 Cobra R #75-SOLD
06 F250
13 BMW AH3
17 GT350 #5556
GOD'S NOT DEAD

Posts: 20750 | From: Concord & Pittsburg, CA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:

Thats fucked up [Eek!]
Lets see have the dog put down ,killed because the locals dog cops gave me a written warning. Or do the surgery and he lived very happily for 7 more years? what is so fucked up about that? The fucked up thing would have been to put him down.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

90gtvert
¯
Member # 8697

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90gtvert  Ford pictures for 90gtvert    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by AL STOCK:
quote:

Thats fucked up [Eek!]
Lets see have the dog put down ,killed because the locals dog cops gave me a written warning. Or do the surgery and he lived very happily for 7 more years? what is so fucked up about that? The fucked up thing would have been to put him down.
Agreed, if its a choice between getting the dog put down or doing the voc cords...its the Voc's that are going.

--------------------
90 GT Vert
93 GT

http://www.110octanephotography.com

BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
lee the sell a brid house looking thing at walmart that works up to 50 yards an you dont have to have a collar on your dogs.maybe next time give me call i have 4 dogs so i have being thourgh it.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com