Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » wyotech (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: wyotech
hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hattrick90  Ford pictures for hattrick90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so i have been really looking at going to wyotech...and i was wondering if anyone has gone there before and had experience with the school...or if you know someone that has gone there(is it worth all the money?and how much do you actually learn from it?) i was also looking at just going to the local comunity college, los medanos college and taking the auto program there.
BIGBALLFACTOR
¯
Member # 7277

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BIGBALLFACTOR  Ford pictures for BIGBALLFACTOR    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do not got to wyotech go to lmc an find a job working on cars a local shop you will learn a hell lot more by doing this
1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wyotech = waste of time/money. the skills u learn there are nothing that is worth what they charge. i was running a shop in newark that did job placement for these hacks and fired them all within a week. do not waste your money. go to community and get a part time job as a shop helper and learn from that.
Jaejae5.0
¯
Member # 7958

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jaejae5.0  Ford pictures for Jaejae5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about auto classes at a junior college?...im to young to work for anyone rite now doin stuff wit cars

--------------------
1987 notchback h/c/i 302 & 70mm turbo SOLD

2000 camaro ss cam only

Posts: 4890 | From: the combustion chamber | Registered: Oct 2007  |  :
SheerSliver03
¯
Member # 6589

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SheerSliver03  Ford pictures for SheerSliver03    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my brother went there. he liked it because he didnt know much about cars going into the school. he said alot of the guys there who already knew about cars didnt like it much.

Its a lot of schooling in a short time. I would say its worth it if you get an A or B average because you can get jobs with ferrari, mercedes.....etc.

if you just want to learn try to go to a comunity college. CRC has a good ford program

--------------------
2003 Altima SE
1970 Mustang Coupe *Sold

hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hattrick90  Ford pictures for hattrick90    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well i plan on being a technician for a while and keep going to school to be a mechanical engineer(in a automotive field) but whatever school i go to i do want to have the best program and actually learn a lot from it...how much do people normally make starting at like midas or something like that?(while im going to school...not for when i get out)
1SLOWLX
¯
Member # 558

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1SLOWLX  Ford pictures for 1SLOWLX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
skyline junior college in san bruno used to have a kick ass program I know a lot of good mechanics that came out of there

--------------------
Built Tuff with your stuff ;)

91MSDFox
¯
Member # 8749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91MSDFox  Ford pictures for 91MSDFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
UTI all th way better tahn wyotech uti has no more than 35 student p class wyotech over 100 p class... O.o only if u want to work for BMW or Audi soethin nice...if u just wnna learn Contra Costa College has good program im attendin now

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
jae jae has one but it's usually doing donuts in his car while he's video taping....

gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
trade schools are a joke.all the kids ive seen coming out of that place think they know everything when in reality they no nothing.lots of booksmarts but experience builds true knowledge in this field.

and from what i hear the job placement is a joke.

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
STEED
¯
Member # 4787

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STEED  Ford pictures for STEED    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hired NUMEROUS guys from Wyotech
They came into my shop a messed things up.
I had asked them all in interviews about the job and they're skills, to which they told me they knew what they were doing.
Big mistake. Anything that could go wrong....did.
Every single one ended up getting let go.
Upon talking with them, most were fresh out of high school and saw the commercial telling them they'd be mechanic's one day or something.
Most paid around 18k to attend this school only to come out with MINOR booksmarts.

--------------------
Jason McCallum
TPS Motorsports GM
Origonal Stallions Member
89LX: Built, Stroked, & Blown
07GT: Blown
www.TPSmotorsports.com
408-370-1477

Posts: 892 | From: Cambell, CA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  :
89bluenotch
¯
Member # 7454

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89bluenotch  Ford pictures for 89bluenotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went to wyotech in wyoming when i was 19 like 3 yrs ago. it was the stupidest thing i ever did. i have learned so much more working on my cars and trucks by myself. the classes were mostly lecturing and book and computer work which imo isn't the way to learn. the teachers don't have time to stop n help you on anything, and the school made me hate mechanics for about a year so i chose a different career so i dont see working on cars as a job any more. it is 3 years later and i am still paying off the $30,000 grand a years worth of being in a fuckd up state.

its a heated subject i will stop there! DON'T GO.

--------------------
-Gunnar
89 coupe
54 f100
R.I.P. SILVERLX

Posts: 1857 | From: HEALDSBURG | Registered: Feb 2007  |  :
89FoxLX
¯
Member # 7197

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89FoxLX  Ford pictures for 89FoxLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 89bluenotch:
i went to wyotech in wyoming when i was 19 like 3 yrs ago. it was the stupidest thing i ever did. i have learned so much more working on my cars and trucks by myself. the classes were mostly lecturing and book and computer work which imo isn't the way to learn. the teachers don't have time to stop n help you on anything, and the school made me hate mechanics for about a year so i chose a different career so i dont see working on cars as a job any more. it is 3 years later and i am still paying off the $30,000 grand a years worth of being in a fuckd up state.

its a heated subject i will stop there! DON'T GO.

+1 I was at the one in Wyoming back in 05. I'll be in debt the rest of my life. I agree with every part of this comment.
RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If this is true about Wyotech, it has gone a long ways since it was Sequoia Institute, I went there in '03, I knew some about cars, but not alot. They helped me out since there was alot of hands-on training, I guess it's different now. Tuition wise, I paid 17k for the whole term, including the smog program.

I don't think you anybody should blame a school for what the students come out to be, while I was there, there were some people that thought they were still in high school and cheated their way through the classes, didn't take anything seriously, I wish them all the best, but those are probably the guys that won't stay in the field for long, if they're still somehow in there.

The fact is, it probably doesn't matter if you go to a technical school or a community college, you only get out of it what effort you put into it.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
91MSDFox
¯
Member # 8749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91MSDFox  Ford pictures for 91MSDFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by At1Maverick69:
If this is true about Wyotech, it has gone a long ways since it was Sequoia Institute, I went there in '03, I knew some about cars, but not alot. They helped me out since there was alot of hands-on training, I guess it's different now. Tuition wise, I paid 17k for the whole term, including the smog program.

I don't think you anybody should blame a school for what the students come out to be, while I was there, there were some people that thought they were still in high school and cheated their way through the classes, didn't take anything seriously, I wish them all the best, but those are probably the guys that won't stay in the field for long, if they're still somehow in there.

The fact is, it probably doesn't matter if you go to a technical school or a community college, you only get out of it what effort you put into it.

+1 YOU WIN!!
[patriot]

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
jae jae has one but it's usually doing donuts in his car while he's video taping....

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
To be honest with you, it will be a waste of your f*ckn time with these private colleges!!

I went to Heald College and got my AA's in Network Systems Admin, whoohoo it was cool going there in a suite/tie and meeting lots of folks but i didn't learn shit.

6 months before graduating, i had already started looking for jobs on my own after hearing horror stories from other students.

I picked up books on the side, did bunch of hands on on the side and got myself the knowledge needed to advance into the field without Heald's help. All they do is hand you a degree (if you pass) and set you free with a huge loan.

Samething for WyoTech, i have 3-4 friends that went there and none of them are employed, close friend of mine who graduated ended up joining the Marines after looking for a job for long.

What to do?

Pick up a book, find a friend that has a small auto shop, work for him part time untill you build your skill level, meanwhile, take community college and practice practice practice!

You will have 10x more knowledge and skill then MOST WyoTech grads.

- David

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
86BackInBlack
¯
Member # 5372

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 86BackInBlack  Ford pictures for 86BackInBlack    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

No way? I went there around that time too. Paid the same for it all +smog class. I remember people cheating, skipping class, didnt take it seriously. Those are the fuckups giving it a bad name. I learned alot but experience does help too. Just dont over sell yourself in the interview and start slow. Also helped that i had a pos 66 mustang to practice on lol [Big Grin]

--------------------
http://i.imgur.com/go1nj.gif

RSCapri
¯
Member # 6177

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RSCapri  Ford pictures for RSCapri    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 86BackInBlack:
quote:

No way? I went there around that time too. Paid the same for it all +smog class. I remember people cheating, skipping class, didnt take it seriously. Those are the fuckups giving it a bad name. I learned alot but experience does help too. Just dont over sell yourself in the interview and start slow. Also helped that i had a pos 66 mustang to practice on lol [Big Grin]
Dude! Don't I know you? Did you have long blonde hair, cuz I remember a guy from some of my classes that dorve a 65-66 stang.

--------------------
03 DSG Mach 1*SOLD
82 GT-5.0, 5spd, IRS *SOLD
79 Coupe*SOLD
84 Capri RS
94 GT *SOLD
82 Mercury Capri 5.0 *SOLD

Posts: 855 | From: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
2SIK GT
¯
Member # 3381

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2SIK GT  Ford pictures for 2SIK GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i graduated from there i hated it alot i think its was a rip off but i did learn more than what i know as in fuel systems class and electronics but its a waist of mony like they say go to a shop and you will learn more maybe if its was only 10k for tution then i would suggest to enroll but its wack take my advice and ya the teachers are coo but the administation are dicks..fuck that school

--------------------
all u see is tail lights if u where driving a chevy

Posts: 979 | From: San Jose Ca | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
hattrick90
¯
Member # 8407

i agree that you will come out with what you put in with school...but i just dont want to pay 30k when i could have paid 2k and just gone to a cc to get the same education or a better one...so looks like the cc is going to win...and i already sighned up for class...so what advice would you give for a job while going to school if you dont have a friend who owns a small shop...like a midas or something like that?
gtowned
¯
Member # 8156

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gtowned  Ford pictures for gtowned    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
being that this about the worst possible time to be looking for an automotive job.just go anywhere thats hiring even a few places that arent and be up front about your lack of ability and experience.dont expect too much.if you are lucky enough to find something i would imagine that both your hours and pay are going to be very little

--------------------
Taking terminators off the road one at a time...

Posts: 1106 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Jan 2008  |  :
drop92
PITUDO
RACING 415
Member # 1323

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for drop92  Ford pictures for drop92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wyotech is gay, i work for a auto dealer and i seen over 100 wyotech students try to work on cars, but they just fuck it up even more....if you trying to learn the functions of engines or sensors or stuff like that, buy a DVD... you'll save alot of money.. if you trying to go hands on, go to a junk yard and take apart a motor and put it back together....
Poisond Pony
¯
Member # 5141

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Poisond Pony  Ford pictures for Poisond Pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you know what's funny is that the teachers at these tech schools will beat it in the students head that job experience is what will help them succeed.

--------------------
1997 SVT Cobra
very stock, very lame

Posts: 1089 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
UTI and Wyotech are both a huge waste of money. Those private trade schools turn out clueless shade tree mechanics at best, not technicians. A community college automotive program offers a higher level of education at a substantially reduced cost. DO NOT GO TO UTI OR WYOTECH!

Another thing to consider is that out of all the trades, automotive repair ranks the lowest in pay while costs for tooling that a auto mechanic will pay for out of pocket are very high unlike other trades like electrical, iron work, welding or plumbing where most tooling is provided by the employer. In short, I would say that auto repair might be fun as a hobby, but not so good as a career.

I myself went through a Community college automotive program and spent a few years as a car dealer tech. Now after going back to community college a second time, I have now fulfilled all of my requirements to attend a state University.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
89foxstang
¯
Member # 5908

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89foxstang  Ford pictures for 89foxstang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 91MSDFox:
quote:

+1 YOU WIN!!
[patriot]

i completely agree with the above statements. you are only going to get what you put into it! if you half ass it you arent going to get anything out of it. also i think the main problem is that when people get out of tech school they think they know everything. while there is no replacement for shop hours and experience i think wyotech is a great school to get some basic knowledge. also the chassis fab class and street rod class were pretty awesome! not many people know how to mig and tig weld and as lame as this sounds at least you have a piece of paper to show for it from a respected school, as long as you go into a shop with the knowledge that you are probably going to have to be sweeping and oil changing youll be fine and just listen more than you talk at first and gain some paid hands on

[ December 13, 2008, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: 89foxstang ]

1994steeda
¯
Member # 6127

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1994steeda  Ford pictures for 1994steeda  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i went there for 3months after HS, then got kicked out because my moms credit was bad, and couldnt afford the payments. best thing that ever happened to me, i didnt get in debt for the rest of my life like others i went with. years later saw my suspension teacher from wyotech working for pepBoy on StevensCreek. He said that place not only was a rip off for the students but also for the teachers....

--------------------
I don't buy STOLEN mustang parts...

00 C5 Corvette
94 Gt stolen
94 Gt Stolen
95 GT sold
95 Gt Sold
97 Cobra sold
98 Gt sold
01 Bullitt sold

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com