Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » General Talk   » A Noob's Rant

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: A Noob's Rant
Johnny Boy
¯
Member # 4954

Ford Icon 12 posted      Profile for Johnny Boy  Ford pictures for Johnny Boy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey All,
I've been away from the Mustang/Pony car scene for a while and I am looking to re-insert myself in it. I'll save time and admit I don't know much about mustangs, other then I want one.

I come from a import background (Mostly RX-7's and 240SX) and it's time to go back to domestics. Assuming Ford will be around much longer (by the looks of it, they are more stable then GM at the moment anyhow. I don't wanna ruffle anyone's feathers.) But the long and short is I am an IT guy, and currently not working. I have a crap car and I am looking for a 5.0 with an automatic. I think 88 and up would be best for me since I think that's when the California Models got Mass Air (isn't that supposed to be good for future upgrades?)

I would love to drive a stick, but I have a benign tumor in my lower back and shifting can cause some major pain. I found out the hard way (Super King Cobra Clutch + Bad back = OUCH!) and so I just need a highway cruiser. I am even considering a P71 Crown Vic as an option. It would help since my wife wants us to start having a family in the next couple of years.

Anyhow, any recommendations on year/set up for reliable daily driver would be great. I only have like $3000 to work with, so I'll pretty much take what I can get as long as it isn't all raced out or some wreck someone tried to bring back from the dead.

Having ranted, I want to say Hello to all.

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer!

Posts: 14 | From: San Leandro, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
91MSDFox
¯
Member # 8749

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91MSDFox  Ford pictures for 91MSDFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
welcome

--------------------
quote:
Originally posted by jordan_0806:
jae jae has one but it's usually doing donuts in his car while he's video taping....

Johnny Boy
¯
Member # 4954

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Boy  Ford pictures for Johnny Boy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks!

--------------------

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get one with mass air. Rite now is a great time to buy a mustang because car's & part's are cheap. Having 3000 to work with should get You a solid ride, might be hard to find something unmolseted but as long as the car has a clean car fax and the torque boxes aer'nt hammered "an automatic will be less likely to have damage than a stick" and make sure to shop around and test drive if possible. Use the search function to find more info on this topic and I remember a good article in mustang and fast ford's magazine that covered all the bases on buying a used 5.0. For auto tranny info go to www.clickclickracing.com

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

cummins
¯
Member # 5931

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cummins  Ford pictures for cummins    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Get an older sc300. You can always turbo the sucker later on!

[ December 05, 2008, 02:59 AM: Message edited by: cummins ]

--------------------
Your definitely jealous of my strength and brains. - 68_427_Fastback

Cummins looks like the Wendy's girl......without the pig tails. - JT

Posts: 3441 | From: The Rice Fields | Registered: Aug 2005  |  :
Johnny Boy
¯
Member # 4954

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Johnny Boy  Ford pictures for Johnny Boy    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why would I want a SC300? Your referring to a Lexus, right?

--------------------

N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Boy:
Why would I want a SC300? Your referring to a Lexus, right?

Its not really that bad of a choice actually. I want one. I am trying to leave the mustang world but one last one is holding me in.
N8
¯
Member # 6048

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for N8  Ford pictures for N8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dp -

[ December 05, 2008, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: N8 ]

Diamond Dave
¯
Member # 5023

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diamond Dave  Ford pictures for Diamond Dave  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Maybe try a Lincoln Mark 7 or 8. I believe the 8's can still be found within your price range. Big ole luxury coupe with a good motor. Can't go wrong! And welcome [patriot]

--------------------
1993 Taurus SHO MTX Red/Grey
-Stock hotness DD

Posts: 475 | From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
Johnny Boy
¯
Member # 4954

Dave, dude... Mark VIII=Nice. Found a couple of 'em on craigslist. Mostly 94-95's. I don't understand why they put a "cobra" motor in it. 280 Horse is more then that kinda car would need. Anyhow, anything in particular I should know about this car? I had a '92 T-Bird and the head gaskettes went. It was a crappy 3.8L and as I understand it Ford was sued over that problem. I've also heard the Ford AOD transmission's can flake out. Any reports of this on the mark's?

--------------------

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com